Ex-RSL Players Part 6: Here, There, and Everywhere

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    My experience with Bulgarian soccer is knowing the names of those two Sofia teams. My twin brother served there in '98-'00, and he and I visited in the summer of '01, so I probably like Bulgaria more than it deserves.

We played football on the beach with a bunch of missionaries in Varna or Burgas--I don't remember which--on what I assume was a p day, but maybe not?

Like I always say: Не говоря български.

RSLer and Paleworm repped this.
  2. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I know about Bulgaria is what they did during the Great War and World War II.

3. Paleworm

Paleworm Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Bulgarian history podcast I’m listening to, fittingly named The Bulgarian History Podcast, hasn’t yet reach that era, so I don’t even know much about that.

Also, we all know about MLS great Hristo Stoichkov, right?

RSLer and El-ahrairah repped this.
  4. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was reading an article about Atlanta on the MLS propaganda website and according to them, Brooks Lennon is listed as a defender. I don't know if this is a case of Atlanta saying "You played defender for RSL, ergo, you are a defender" or the MLS saying "You played defender for RSL, ergo, you are a defender", but I thought that's why he left RSL, he wanted to play a forward.

5. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I assume he left RSL because he wanted to play. Period.

15 to 32, PumaJohnny, pcny and 1 other person repped this.
  6. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably the case. With Herrera’s move to RB he suddenly found himself on the bench. The Winger position was more than full.

7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've read some UNMNT analyses that view him as part of the player pool - far down the list but trending upward - at wingback, particularly with how Berhalter likes his RB to play.

pcny repped this.
  8. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bofo assist today. looks like he shot from his spot and a teammate finished it.
    1228841238004195328 is not a valid tweet id

rslfanboy, Allez RSL and Paleworm repped this.
  10. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Savarino was subbed in at the 80th minute during Atletico Mineiro's game against Caldense. The game was part of the Minas Gerais state championship. Unfortunately, CAM gave up the winning goal in the 90+ minute and lost 2-1.

rslfanboy and RSLer repped this.
  11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks Lennon is on a shortened bench for Atlanta in the CCL game against Montagua. And Bryce Duke - a former Academy player whose rights we traded to LAFC last month - made his pro debut away to Leon.

12. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    PumaJohnny repped this.
  13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That issue was never mentioned in the BS RSL board. First that I have heard about it.

14. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Not a lot to go on, there.

15. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Bofo:
    He played 1300 minutes for RSL last year and he didn't feel like he had the opportunity to make mistakes and learn?

RSLer and Ismitje repped this.
  16. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems to have a short memory. There was an interview at the end of the year where Freddy indicated that Plata and Bofo did not start or play more because they couldn't stick to the game plan. I wonder what Bofo's rebuttal would be.

RSLer repped this.
  17. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    I think that's what he's referring to when saying not being allowed to make mistakes.

RSLer and acima repped this.
  18. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find the Bofo opera pretty entertaining. When he left for Pumas I posted here that I was happy for him because he seemed to have reached his RSL ceiling and maybe his game could grow somewhere else. I know we all had fun remarking that he only had one shot spot, that he was good for a shot or two into the 30th row every game, that he many times shot instead of passing to a better situated teammate, that he tried to take on too many defenders, and that he became limited once the league figured out his game. On the other hand, he has had early success on a team that is much more talented than is RSL, in a league that is more talented than is MLS. So, why? Could it be that his RSL limitations were due to the limitations of the teammates he played with? Or maybe due to the restrictions placed by the coaches? Or will LigaMex figure him out like MLS seemed to? I don’t know the answers, but I will enjoy the opera.

pcny repped this.
  19. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    It looks like Lennon is set to be an opening day starter for ATL, and not at RB. I think he'll be fairly effective in their system, but so was Gressel and not sure he'll replicate that level of productivity.

[​IMG]

20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’ll probably look better if for no other reason than the talent around him will be better. It will not necessarily mean that RSL made a mistake by letting him go.

21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1239601409974325248 is not a valid tweet id

DrownedElf repped this.
  22. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those passes are so good! Would be nice to have a player like that on the team.

acima and RSLer repped this.
  23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey, the academy hasn't produced talent of the first team level for a few years now. Nothing to see here

acima and RSLer repped this.
  24. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched a Mineiro state championship game between Atletico-MG and Villa Rosa today. Savarino started the game, scored a goal and was subbed out later on. CAM won the game 3-1. If I understood the announcer right, this was Savarino's first goal in a CAM uniform. The game was played without spectators at the Villa Rosa home pitch. Savarino's goal was from a shot that rebounded off the woodwork and he was able to hit it on the volley. Kind of like Will Johnson's goal of the year many years back, only Savarino was sitting just inside the 6-yard box to the right of the goal, but same type of volley.

Allez RSL and RSLer repped this.