Ex-RSL Players Part 6: Here, There, and Everywhere

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    The "universe" didn't allow for him to be integrated into the team so he went to the sounders.

15 to 32 repped this.
  3. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of a neat piece on the Booth brothers playing against each other in Europe. The 2nd video in the article is pretty cool.

RSLer and Ismitje repped this.
  4. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Kreilach coming out strong with a debut goal for the ‘Caps

rslfanboy repped this.
  5. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tried to watch most of the first half. He didn't look like his back was bothering him.

rslfanboy repped this.
  6. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    He totally looks to be running better.
    Good for him. I’ll always cheer for him to do well, just not score goals against us.

DkM77 and JLaw repped this.
  7. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Good for Dami. I wish him nothing but the best. I know this is sacrilege but I'm really glad he's not on RSL this season. I don't want to jinx him but I would be surprised if he makes it through the season without having to take games off for recuperation etc.

It really is time for a new generation of RSL players so lets see how it all plays out.

DkM77 repped this.
  8. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver playing outside in February!?

9. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better odds than us home in February.

DkM77, Allez RSL, RSLer and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news for Jasper: he was on the bench but did not play in the Rapids 4-1 drubbing at Portland.

rslfanboy and RSLer repped this.
  11. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Props to Colorado for helping make the transition nice and smooth for Jasper.

RSLer and goobx1 repped this.
  12. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    A few other former RSL players:

- Aaron Herrera opened his DC United stint with 90 minutes and an assist.

- Corey Baird started in his first game with FC Cincinnati

- Tate Schmitt is back from his injury and walked back into the Houston Dynamo's starting lineup

- Brooks Lennon went another 90 for Atlanta.

RSLer and rslfanboy repped this.
  13. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    We could use one of either Brooks Lennon or Aaron Herrera right about now.

goobx1, Med_Phys, 15 to 32 and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks is captain I think.

rslfanboy repped this.
  15. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Nice. He also logged his 200th game in MLS. He would be quite the player in this lineup for RSL.

rslfanboy, Med_Phys and 15 to 32 repped this.
  16. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Also, we've all complained about our left back play. We let go of Tate Schmitt, a homegrown on a near league-minimum contract, and he then walked into the starting lineup of a team that finished above us in the standings last year. We're paying 4X the salary and an international slot so Oviedo can sit on the bench.

Basically we have 3 former academy players starting at outside back in MLS, while it seems we have a consensus that our own fullback play has been subpar.

Probably not worth beating up on Fall too much since he's gone now. But it's all part of a very long-term trend of not trusting our own academy players.

Allez RSL, DrownedElf, acima and 4 others repped this.
  17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It‘s not a good track record. I‘m not sure that Fall should take all of the blame or even a lot of it. Coaching/system has to be looked at (I‘m not one who can confidently do that). Also, even as recently as 2 seasons ago, Left Back was the league’s weakest position. I don‘t know if it t still is. If it is it could partially explain how Tate is starting at another club. The Herrera case is a bit of an outlier in that his production bottomed when Dami got hurt. Outside appearances seemed to indicate he had developed an attitude problem too. At the time I felt his departure was probably good for everyone involved.

rslfanboy repped this.
  18. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    For Herrera you could also add in salary. I think he was slated to get paid around 800grand if memory serves?

There is probably plenty of blame to go round but I still feel like a good part of the who should be playing issue falls on Pablo M. He seems to have some sort of arbitrary system for playing players, not that that is good or bad, but it doesn't feel consistent. There was definitely was a difference of opinion between Fall and Pablo from just looking at the Moose stuff last season. Fall didn't want him here, especially after his hiatus, and Pablo stuck him back in right away after he came back and even put the entire season on the line for Moose. Probably to stick in the eye of Fall. All pure conjecture but...

Tate, as another example, played surprisingly well and out of position if memory serves, and then just dropped off the radar with playing time.

It's not a perfect science. I tell that to myself every game with Andres Gomez. The guy still can't find his team mates and looks to think he is the main man out there but then does some pretty good stuff out there to remind me he is only 21. But still, his goofs would get other players a seat on the bench for a game or two I would wager.

Either way, it just seems that RSL could find better RB play. LB is probably one of the hardest in the game to keep nailed down but RB seems like there is almost an infinite amount of players out there to try.

RSLer repped this.
  19. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, now I'm imagining how great the partnership of Herrera and Tree could've been.

15 to 32 and rslfanboy repped this.
  20. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Tate did have two goals as a left back. I don't know the level of production that we'd expect from a backup left back but it seemed pretty good to me.

We didn't even trade him and get an asset in return. Just said, no thanks. Let him leave for free and Houston picked up a starter for nothing. At least we got something for Lennon and Herrera, but with Schmitt it seemed like we were just totally indifferent.

Allez RSL and 15 to 32 repped this.
  21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too

22. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had to look it up. The goals came in consecutive games in March 2022. We played a 3-4-2-1 formation in both games if the web info is correct. After that we switched to a 4-4-2 and he didn’t score again that season. What I remember about him that season is he would often get caught too far forward and other teams would attack into the space he left open.

23. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Taters scored the winner in the snow game @ the Revs, just after they had set a league pts record! That season proved to be not great for NER.

Tate had some serious "oof!" moments, but our whole defense was troublesome that year too. We could have stuck with him?

I don't think Brooks Lennon would be as good as he is now had he stayed in Utah. Maybe RSL could have gotten more for him, but everyone won with his trade to Atlanta.

I'd take Herrera back in a heartbeat, but I also think that his experience away from RSL will/has improved his professionalism. A loan would have been great for him instead of a sale, but we did get Vera, which has proven to be a good move too. I'm really torn with this one, but the team had Damir, Sava, and Chicho along with reacquiring Anderson Julio (and overpaying Rubio Rubin) to deal with at the time of the trade.

RSLer and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  24. quickbeam

quickbeam Member

United States
    Feb 21, 2024
    Hello.

Does anyone here know if Luke Mulholland lives in Utah still? I am almost certain I saw him jogging near the cemetery on 90th and 7th east in Sandy.

Allez RSL repped this.
  25. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Yes, I believe he does. It's probably a good thing because he is the head scout for RSL.