Ex-pats watching the World Cup abroad? (UK)

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by RevsLiverpool, Mar 23, 2010.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey -
    I'm going to be in England during the World Cup and wanted to find out whether any US fans will be there as well and if so what cities/pubs will you be watching the game in. I'd imagine a city as big as London may have a US-friendly pub during the USA-England match but wanted to use this as a way to find out who else will be in enemy territory on June 12 so I'm not watching the yanks beat England in solitude ;). Would love to watch it with allies!!

Feel free to post here or pm me - thanks.

2. NJgotlove

NJgotlove Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Monmouth County,NJ
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    living in london last year i learned that there is one US-centric bar for sure... and thatd be sportscafe in piccadilly....itll have all american sports on the tvs and surely the US mens games on....but honestly, any pub will have the world cup on so theres no need to find a "US-friendly" pub....

3. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    what he said.

As long as you arent chanting USA from the top of your voice youll be fine;)

4. usa1950

usa1950 Member

Aug 18, 2000
    Indiana USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until we take a 1-0 lead, Gerrard continues to play like sh1t and Rooney breaks his leg.....

5. roykeanes_safc

Jun 26, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Erm no.

the only way he would get in trouble again as Ive said is flaunting it in peoples faces ie wearing a replica jersey, facepaints, chanting etc.

If he quitely watches the game he will be fine.

6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks very much for the tip, I'll check that one out.

Fair enough, thanks!

I fully plan to "respect the locals" and not chant etc. However, the intention was to not be the ONLY guy wearing a US jersey (I probably wouldn't) at a crowded English pub (virtually every pub in the country will have that game on) that's all. Besides its hard to suppress a reaction to a goal and to be the only one celebrating is a bit strange.

I guess if I can't find one, there's always pubs in Scotland or Wales. ;)

7. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    I'm watching this down the road, and I will have a jersey on and be obnoxious, especially if we win.

So you can always be my bodyguard. If not, well, you're a bit SOL. I guess you could go to Bodean's, but there isn't really a designated American watering hole (the Sports Cafe is crap).

8. NJgotlove

NJgotlove Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Monmouth County,NJ
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SportsCafe is crap too haha...but it does have American sports and shit

9. vikingito

vikingito New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm in London for the match as well. Maybe the guys on the ground can find a good rally point for the rest of us and we just invade it match day. Finding a pub that will be US friendly may be tough.

10. vikingito

vikingito New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    My suggestion is we pick a pub in London for match day with(good TVs plenty of room, beer) and meet there say 2-3 hours before.

Not sure about the suggestion that we would be entirely unbothered especially if England loses. I've traveled with England fans during World Cups '06, and seen Englishmen behaving badly while in England on many many lesser occasions. I think finding a place with the right atmosphere or at least a couple good Irish bouncers might be advisable. I may wear a scarf or US shirt. I think I will mind my manners.

One suggestion would be to find a Fulham supporters pub. We can count on a bit of camaraderie from them even if Dempsey scores.

11. vikingito

vikingito New Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The Golden Lion Fulham high street is a possible. Wear a Dempsey jersey and they can't hate too much.

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome idea. You've got the Fulham connection covered, I've got the Revs connection covered (met Dempsey during a STH event when he was in New England, he's a good guy and I've followed his EPL career), so we ought to earn some camraderie among those guys.

Outside of the Fulham supporters pub, there's always the Walkabout.

13. drumsocc

drumsocc New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Wiltshire, England
    We've been here before... in 2006.

It was surprisingly hard to find/agree on a USer pub (that wasn't the cr@p SportsCafe).
    Aussie/SA bars may be the best bet.
    At least they shouldn't all be pro-England in there!

I also agree that the Fulham area sounds good.
    There is such a sportie bar there next to Fulham Broadway stn, called the kings head. http://www.boat-trader.co.uk/pubs/pub4941.php

Also, there is a Walkabout not far from Fulham, in Shephard's bush, facing the Common.

Cheers,
    Drumsocc

14. drumsocc

drumsocc New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Wiltshire, England
  15. Jalapeno

Jalapeno New Member

May 20, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about Marylebone Sport Bar n Grill.....I live nearby and very nice setup with flat screens everywhere. I think they're booked for all England matches but either way I'm thinking about checking out the USAvAlgeria and USAvSlovenia there

16. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'd possibly be interested in seeing a US match or two in like company.

If locating a central non-English pub is a priority, there is the Canadian Maple Leaf near Covent Garden (good for ice hockey) or perhaps the New Zealand pub The Southerner in Temple.

17. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Going to a Fulham bar isn't going to make it any better. They will still be British. And they won't stop hating the US just because of Dempsey. You gotta understand their point of view. Im Uruguayan and my club has a really good Argentinean player, but we still hate Argentineans

18. American Evertonian

American Evertonian New Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Nashville
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A friend and I will be in London as well and we are considering going to McBride's outside of Fullham to watch the match. Seeing how it is named after an American we thought it would be a good place to go. We are down to go elsewhere if people are planning on a different spot. Thoughts? PM me or reply here if interested.

19. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    McBride's isn't open to the public or outside of matchdays, unless they're doing something special for the World Cup.

Even then, it's going to be an England-centric environment.

20. American Evertonian

Apr 27, 2009
    Nashville
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scratch that then. New ideas?

21. Jalapeno

Jalapeno New Member

May 20, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we still settling on Fulham area guys? My roomie and I just got our USA jerseys at soccer store off Oxford Street today. Looking on finding others besides ourselves wearing USA gear.

22. PYordan

PYordan New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Pamplona, Spain
    Does the Texas Embassy (over by Trafalgar if I remember correctly) have TVs for games? I imagine Brits would be hesitant about going there for the game.

Looking forward to being in London for this one.

(first post in a few years...)

23. American Evertonian

Apr 27, 2009
    Nashville
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just do this. If someone on here is familiar of the London area then pick a place and time to meet. We will all meet up at that location. If it sucks or we know of somewhere better we will adjust then. So someone with enough knowledge of England to choose a location let's hear a time and place.

24. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you will have anything to worry about in London. Most English footy supporters have quite a bit of respect for the US team. Everyone is inviting me to watch the match with them. I'm settling on a barbecue at a friends, she's American and her fiance is English.

25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize I started this thread but my plans have changed from watching the game in London. I'm planning to watch it in Lancashire (the Lakes District) with a load of English friends. Should be interesting.

Hope you guys pick a place and sing loud and proud! Lots of options discussed in this thread I agree someone that knows the city should just pick one and set it up.

Cheers.
    Mike