Ex-Crew players doing better after C-Bus.

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew SC' started by THOMA GOL, Apr 16, 2006.

1. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Yokohama F-Marinos
    Jul 16, 1999
    Paradise of the Pacific
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Brad Freidel and McBride to Jason Ferrell and tonight Cornell Glenn, I must ask, what is it that makes ex-Crew players play better once they leave Columbus? Is there something bad in the water that Mayor Coleman failed to realize? I see a game like tonight, where Glenn scores two goals and wonder what the hell we are missing.

2. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Could it be the crap players that you surround them with? ;)

Friedel and McBride were both very good players in Columbus but have just contiuned their good form with other teams. Glenn, well he is a reject of many teams but tonight he just had the fact that he had the probably the best player in the league setting him up. He had plenty of other missed oppurtunities in this game as well so it wasn't like he all of a sudden manned up and started achieving a 80% goal to shot ratio.

3. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Yokohama F-Marinos
    Jul 16, 1999
    Paradise of the Pacific
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's out of frustration, or me being demanding, but it's like Brian West is doing well, Razov has scored, Ferrell's won a Championship with Seattle. It takes time to build a winner I reckon.

4. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    Ummmmm, if you watch Glen's goals tonight, you'll see the kind of stuff that frustrated us while he was in Columbus. Both of his goals were pretty much shanked, he just happened to get lucky tonight and they went in. Watch the video, he doesn't hit anywhere near the center of the ball on either goal.

Donovan is class.

5. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    Isn't Simon Elliot doing pretty well for Fulham too?

6. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    There are folks who dutifully track the movements of all the players who pass through a team throughout their careers, and you'll probably find web sites detailing these movements for Crew players too.

While you mention a couple of players who have done well, every Crew shirt has had ate least two or three different names on it. What happened to Pete Marino for example? I'm actually curious about that one. Will Wingert fulfill his potential? You're looking at somewhere between 50 and 80 players, mentioning a couple who did well, and who were good players before, during, and after Crewville doesn't give a really good idea of generl trends.

7. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did pretty well while he was here - despite what some people may tell you.

8. junior21

junior21 New Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    isn't sutton doing well in seattle as well?!

9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's correct. Both goals were all Landon. I wish the guy was less of a pu$$Y, so then I could actually muster up a tiny bit of respect for him.

Glen belongs in the A-League, yet Landon can make him look like a first rate player. Now that's magical.

10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Don't forget Diego Walsh!

11. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    Gesundheit!

12. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing I can say about Kmosko is that he was no Tim Sahaydak.

13. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cornell Glen botched 3 clear goal scoring chances before he scored the two that were set up by someone else. I'll take any of our current strikers over him.

14. ants4200

ants4200 New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    New Concord
    Not all ex-Crew players are doing well, like Buddle. I especially liked this comment. "Edson Buddle couldn't finish in a Bangkok whorehouse"

15. AC_Milan22

AC_Milan22 New Member

Aug 25, 2004
    CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Loco's also doing well with Miami FC

16. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Well, they must be having a good preseason then, because the USL season hasn't started yet.

17. jcrocker

jcrocker Member

Jun 1, 1999
    Springboro, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the DC vs NYRB game today, and i didnt even know Edson was playing. He was non existent. I think we may have gotten the better end of that deal.

18. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    IN
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I'm trying to be an Edson apologist, but it seems the entire RBNY team was non existant.

19. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    I didn't even know Chris Henderson was on the field until he was subbed out.

I wasn't excessively pleased by SkankyDairyman's Red Bull celebration, but when did Scum last show class?

20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did Glen do this week?
    That's right. Nothing.

21. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't mind the RedBull celebration by Esky... I mean, it's not the classiest move, but it was worth a chuckle, and kind of nice to see a little moxy in MLS. Better than big bad EJ pointing to his own number on his jersey.

Buddle was a waste of space, but RB was just horrible tonight. I wish we were playing them next week. I was particularly unsurprised to see good old Edson toss in that flagrant elbow to the head to earn his yellow. I'm so glad we tossed him out on his ass.

And what's with RBNY over paying for Pedro? Martins + 1st Rd + 3rd Rd draft picks to Colorado? Even with that organization being revamped, they still have not figured out how to conduct a trade w/o taking it up the poop chute.

22. TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight Vote Kodos in '08!!

Jun 29, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    From what I have read on the RBNY boards, they are simply pissed that Esky didn't get on the receiving end of a hard tackle anytime afterwards for doing that. Saying the players showed ZERO pride on not getting retribution or something like that.

23. AkronSoccerFan

AkronSoccerFan New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No heart from the Red Bulls, huh? What a shock. At least when we've gone down this year we've gone down 1) fighting and 2) pissed off at the result.

I reiterate an earlier statement. When the crew is up 3-0 this summer with RBNY in our house, the following chant should be flowing from 137 like Guiness from a tap:

Same old Metros, always losing!!!!

24. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    I suspect they're all on tenterhooks because they don't know what's going to happen next. If Red Bull has the smarts to dump Lalas, then none of them are safe, except maybe Jerkoff.