Ex- Crew Legends: Players, Coaches, and Personalities

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Feb 16, 2013.

1. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I mean, claiming a poster here has a drug or alcohol problem wouldn’t be a stretch. The majority of the posters here could probably fall in that category.

hangthadj and RafaLarios repped this.
  2. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leave me out of this.

the_rickler repped this.
  3. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    upload_2022-9-13_12-53-5.png

I thought alcoholism was encouraged on our roster...

the_rickler repped this.
  4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt that.

5. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Crew Legend Kei Kamara has 8 goals and 7 assists in 1370 minutes for Montreal this season. Incredible output. Despite some insisting that because he has played for several different teams that he is past it, or washed, the man just keeps producing.

An all time MLS great. We were lucky to have him in Columbus twice. Shame we couldn't keep him.

6. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Time for a poll!

chr1st and RafaLarios repped this.
  7. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's not being past it that he has played for several different teams unless he was also past it and washed when he was 25 as well. That said, his first goal was quite slick.

8. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Admitting you have a problem is the first step in recovery. We’re here for you KC if you need us.

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he produces so much, how come so many teams don't want him long term? And mind you, I do not dislike Kei. But where there is smoke....

DrunkandDisorderly repped this.
  10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think part of this is also Kei wishing to move on fo better opportunities, better experiences, and better pay, as any employee has every right to wish for. I also think several teams have paid their own price for parting with Kei. The decision of the Crew in 2016, to side with Higuain instead was braindead. It showed in the results, and it showed in Higuain's ongoing decline, as Kei Kamara continues to etch his name in MLS history.

11. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He's still a poor man's Andres Mendoza.

12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A great answer to a question that wasn’t asked.

RafaLarios and stanger repped this.
  13. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Andres Mendoza is a poor man’s Andres Mendoza.

RafaLarios repped this.
  14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Actually more than one great answer was provided there, if we want to be real.

Some teams don't want to pay a guy what they think he deserves. So they think they can move on.

In cases of trades, some teams valued Kei more than the team that held him. And there you have the transaction.

In cases of long term contracts, many teams (and many teams foolishly) don't want to commit long term to a guy on "the wrong side of 30."

Tangentially related to the last one and one prior, some teams and managers convince themselves they can move forward with a younger/cheaper striker and often they fall flat on their face. This is a situation not exclusive to Kei, but many strikers in many leagues. See Gyasi Zardes and MigueLOL Berry for the latest local example.

Despite what the simple minded here think there isn't a one blanket reason for Kei's changing of teams. There isn't one blanket reason for Ibra playing for so many teams in Europe. Nobody believes Peter Crouch or Robbie Keane were trouble makers when they played for ten clubs in Europe. In fact, for them, it was seen as a badge of honor. An example that they were WANTED for what they brought to he club.

This again seems very much to be the case with Kei in Montreal, and he's rewarded the team in spades.

“The first thing I have to say about Kei is the personality he brings into the locker room,” said Mihailovic, “I think the biggest thing that we could have done is bring this kind of player, a veteran player, into this young locker room.
    Before the soccer player, it’s just the person in the locker room.”

He brings a lot of humility, you need time to adapt to the way that we play,” Nancy said.

I'm thrilled for Kei, I'm thriled for Montreal, and for the Crew fans who don't settle for the simplest of narratives and can take joy in watching one of the greatest strikers in MLS history continue his great run of form, and for those who take extra joy in this great run of form knowing he continues to prove naysayers wrong.

15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14 teams in 16 years. An innocent victim every time, I’m sure. And I like Kei as a player, but come on. The endless Kei circlejerk continues.

KCbus and RafaLarios repped this.
  16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Who said he was an innocent victim every time. If I'm saying he wants to be paid what he's worth and a team doesn't want to pay him, that's on Kei and the team he's departed. I don't think Peter Crouch, Nicholas Anelka, Andy Cole, Robbie Keane, Nolan Ryan, Matt Stairs, Fernando Rodney, Shaquille O'Neal, Kevin Ollie, or Jim Jackson were innocent victims every time they changed a team either. Some do what's best for them, and the team needs to do what they think is best for them. That doesn't mean either gets it right every time. In the case of some teams, they don't even get it right half the time.

There is a subset of fans that want to a former MLS Humanitarian of the year as an insufferable human being and a terrible teammate. These are the people that ignore that wherever Kei goes, when you see him face former teams, he's often welcomed warmly by former teammates. They ignore the demand for his services and his skillset over the years. They ignore former teammates and MLS greats like Chris Wondolowski calling him and telling him to score more goals.

There are "soccer experts" here and elsewhere who go for the simplest answer. That a player moves teams because he's hated in the locker room. They don't take into account many other considerations that go into building a roster. I understand that other people have their agendas, but you are smarter than that.

There will always be people looking to hate. This mindset leads to a mob mentality will be people so aghast over a penalty kick that they will harass Kei Kamara's wife and family at a game. Personally, I find that more offensive than pointing at a teammates tattoo after a game. Your mileage may vary.

17. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conversations like this with Hang are pointless. He is more interested in stirring the pot than anything else. See his post in the Austin thread.

Don't fed the troll.

KCbus repped this.
  18. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yet he thought Columbus was so nice, he played here twice!

RafaLarios and Bill Archer repped this.
  19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will always mantain that it was Berhalters fault.

the_rickler repped this.
  20. ColumbusFTW

ColumbusFTW Member+

Jul 18, 2018
    The only issue I had with Kei was during an interview in the midst of the STC saga when he said "if I was commissioner, I would move them to Vegas." Even if intended as a joke, it's stupid to put out there when you know it will get picked up and misinterpreted. If it was sincere, it's classless disrespect of the fans that puts you on par with Brek Shea, Jozy and Bradley. He certainly is a club and league legend and it was stupid to not give him the PK in that game when he was sitting on a brace.

TKyle repped this.
  21. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14 teams. 16 years. Show me one other player with a record like that. Anyone. A decent player who should stick around, not a bum who’s the last guy on the bench.

22. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Maybe he likes to travel? Kei is the Zlatan of MLS

23. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zlatan had world class talent to paper over his attitude issues. Kei, not so much.

24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    See, again you begin with the assumption that Kei is always the problem. And discount the fact that 14 teams wanted him. A few twice. It's bizarre, even stangerian, but whatever. Peter Crouch played for 8 clubs (and another on loan) between 2000 and 2010. He was probably a team cancer.

Not world class, no. All time MLS great. Definitely. 3rd all time in goals. Loved and respected by players across the league. Recognized for his off field work.

What's interesting, if you look at Kei's other stops around the league, there is nowhere where he receives the bile or derision that he receives in Columbus. In some places like KC and San Jose he is still a fan favorite. In Columbus his family is harassed if they come to matches.

This, again, sadly speaks to the insecurity of the Columbus fanbase more than Kei as a man and as a teammate.

25. FootyHooligan32

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 26, 2022
    I think you need to refresh your memory. Kei started 2016 absolutely terribly. He was beyond useless. Why would they choose a guy who’s never been with a team longer than two seasons and who’s production had gone to zero over the greatest player in Columbus Crew history? Pipa is the most pure hearted, friendly, professional person. It doesn’t take a genius to see if someone has a problem with Pipa, it’s their fault. You only have to look at the post game interviews to see the difference in professionality.

So far we haven’t even mentioned that the biggest win of the trade is that it made way for the better Kamara. Did you forget that Ola came in and became 100 times the player Kei was? We lost nothing and immediately started playing better

Like, you’re not gonna side with the guy making that kind of post game comments. It’s just not a thing that’s going to happen. So, at the time it’s the correct decision, and then when you look at it in hindsight, we got Ola Kamara out of it and it becomes and even better decision.