Ex- Crew Legends: Players, Coaches, and Personalities

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a Speas game worn jersey from one of the gear sales years ago. Class dude!

Tobias C and redi44crew repped this.
  2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    He's still on Inter Miami's page. It must be a rumor like the Jimenez to Austin and could happen after the draft.

5. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be curious to see what he is thinking. I can't help but imagine this is pretty tough for him to see many of his immediate former teammates going on to win the title.

6. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    At the beginning of the season I thought we traded the wrong DM. I thought Trapp was better than Artur. That’s why I’m not a coach.
    I hope Trapp finds his way to a team that needs him. He’s a solid player. Now if Pipa doesn’t stick with his brother in Miami, I’ll be disappointed to see a legend bounce around the league. Seems like we could find a spot for him here. I think he’s past his starting days so spend the next year or two showing the younger guys how to do it.

7. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sentimentality never wins you anything.

I'm glad you've realized the error in your thinking on Trapp v Artur. But you seem to be doing the thing with Pipa. Roster spots and salary budgets or finite things. Bringing in a past it guy to "train up the young guys" is just a roster spot wasted. We need players that can play. Next year is likely to be a year where we could play 40+ games with Open Cup and CCL. Thirty six year old dudes who can't start for Miami are not going to help us.

Jiminez was a this type of guy. I respect the role he played, he's a positive locker room influence and a tireless competitor in practices that helps make everyone in the lineup accountable. We sent him to Austin. I don't see Pipa as that type of guy despite the talent he possessed 5 years ago.

KCbus, ZipSix, LaMacchia and 3 others repped this.
  8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    crew2112, Robbo Crewfan and Tobias C repped this.
  9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jimenez is out of contract. We cannot, and did not, send him anywhere. And he is 32, he can still play. That is probably the rub here. Playing time.

As can Pipa, albeit in much shorter spurts. IDK if he is a 90 minute player anymore. Certainly not going to press at the same tempo Porter wants. Nor is he going to counter at speed like Lucas (and Pedro) do when at CAM. But did score a couple of goals for DC as a sub.

Ditto for Trapp. He can still play. His issue is fit. He is a tweener. He can spray the ball around from deep nicely, but is NOT a great defensive mid. Nor is he going to be press resistant & control tempo like Nagbe. If a teams sits back, he is wonderful. If not...He is not a good "protect the lead" type DM sub. Nor is he a great, go get a goal sub. If he is not starting, he does not make much sense. He'd be a great partner for Shalrie Joseph, but not for a lot of CMs/DMs.

I do not think it is a sentimentality thing. I think it is a style/fit thing. Trapp/Pippa can help, but we'd have to change the way we play with them in there.

CybrSlydr and Bill Archer repped this.
  10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another issue is cost. Trapp was making north of $500K when he was here. In the range of Mokhtar. And it's hard to justify a player making that much salary when he's not really pushing anyone for a starting role.

Pipa made $100K this year, which is a pittance. For me the main question is one I can't answer: Is he interested in coaching and, if he is, does Porter have any interest in integrating him into the coaching staff, be it with the senior side, a U23 side or academy team? If the answers to those questions are both yes, then sure, I'd love for the Crew to bring him back in '21, and give him some playing time as he transitions out of playing and into coaching.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried for a while to get a Speas-centric chant going, but it never took off.

"All we are saaaay-ing
    Is give Speas a chance!"

Dang youngins couldn't remember John Lennon.

Tobias C, DAFCrew and kgilbert78 repped this.
  12. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every minute Trapp or Pipa play would be a lost opportunity for Aidan Morris.
    I will happily welcome them back for Legends Day 2.0.

13. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few years ago, Ben Speas and Ben Zemanski of the Portland Timbers held a soccer clinic at NC Soccer in Hudson, OH that my son participated in (they both grew up in the area). They were both really cool and supportive of the kids and it was a very positive experience for my son.

MLSinCleveland, DGA57v2 and Crew96Fan repped this.
  14. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Morris is going to be in the rotation anyway; I think the loser would be Berhalter, who is sort of the forgotten man in all of this.

The problem with Pipa was that he didn't want to sit, but then he went to DC and sat. And now he's a year older than he was. Trapp still probably can - or believes that he can - compete for a starting role. I think that ship has sailed mostly, but if there's any chance of it happening it isn't going to be with the Crew where he'd be hard pressed to even make the roster. Nagbe, Artie, Aiden and Seb would be ahead of him and I'm not even sure they'd want to carry a fifth guy.

Plus, for a long time, Trapp was the poster boy for the academy program, demonstrating to prospects that there is in fact a path to the first team.

Clearly don't need him for that any more either.

Pipa = outside possibility
    Trapp = no chance at all

15. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSinCleveland repped this.
  16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    I really enjoy their earlier works but you can really tell St Vincent and the Grenadines jumped the shark on their last album.

TKyle and Bill Archer repped this.
  18. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    TKyle repped this.
  19. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It makes me think of Pompeii.....

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We were there in the summer of 2019 (and Herculaneum). Climbed Vesuvius too. IMG_9000.JPG

Pauncho, Robbo Crewfan, Grouchy and 4 others repped this.
  21. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm no volcano expert, but my understanding was they never went extinct, only dormant, always with the possibility of becoming active again

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  22. coachchris

coachchris Member

Feb 19, 2007
    Galloway, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paging @CybrSlydr.
    Paging resident geologist CybrSlydr.....

west ham sandwich repped this.
  24. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mostly depends on where the volcano is. Volcanoes on oceanic plates like that do go extinct.

When you have one on oceanic crust like that, volcanic islands form via hotspots - localized upwellings of magma that propagate through the crust.

Over time, the oceanic crust spreads, but the hotspot will stay in the same place, creating a series of volcanic islands. That's how Hawaiian islands were formed.

Once cut off from the magma upwelling, they're extinct.

https://www.nationalgeographic.org/...abnormally hot centers known as mantle plumes.