Ex- Crew Legends: Players, Coaches, and Personalities

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Feb 16, 2013.

1. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I’d like to see
    GBS
    Warzycha
    Marshall
    Higuain
    After that it’s a toss up. Hopefully they have a plan for showing some history in the new stadium. I think it’s important for new fans to know they are experiencing a storied tradition. Not a faux marketing scheme such as that team in Austin.

Kryptonite and the_rickler repped this.
  2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm curious about the Lamar statue and the Fitz rock.

Do they stay where they are or move downtown?

3. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't qualify. He gets a pass on the four year minimum because he won the scoring title and made the Best XI, but he misses on the fourth requirement: the team never won a major trophy while he was with them..

5. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeffro.
    And of course GBS.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Echoed. Bolded for emphasis.

Traditions are built over time, not that anyone associated with "him" would know that.

catfish9 and crew2112 repped this.
  7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This idea was bantered around a while ago. It seems the consensus was they should stay. While Lamar was quite influential in the development of the team and league, he didn't have anything to do with the current stadium. Obviously, we all love and respect Lamar, but his statue at a stadium he had nothing to do with doesn't seem fitting.

Hopefully all those rocks were kept. The original "Crew Rock" which was at the base of 134 moved inside the locker room, but I wouldn't be surprised if Douchenozzle von Daddy'smoney saw fit to remove it. I was in the locker room during one of the last season ticket holder parties and saw the Urso tribute on the wall was no more.

8. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3958 Bill Archer, Oct 31, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Well of course it coild be argued that the whole point of the thing is the team, which Lamar created and saved.

But I do agree that the statue should stay right where it is, first because its his building and second because his miserable family put it there. I do respect the old man but his family can suck my schvantzstucker

[​IMG]

There is just no way on Gods green Earth that Clarkie Boy didnt know the deal. Hes too big within the league. Garber wouldnt dare blindside him. He knew what the deal was and sold the Crew down the river. To this very day hes never once denied it.

If his family didnt respect the Old Mans "legacy" in Columbus, why should we?

As for various other artifacts, surely there are spots where they can be tucked.

catfish9 and TKyle repped this.
  9. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill Archer said (regarding Stern John):

"Doesn't qualify. He gets a pass on the four year minimum because he won the scoring title and made the Best XI, but he misses on the fourth requirement: the team never won a major trophy while he was with them."

I know all this, but I will insist on lobbying for him anyway.

Bill Archer repped this.
  10. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Unsung hero Gaven. 200+ games, a cup. At least one save in net. I miss him.

Following FC Brocoli tradition I place a refundable deposit to reserve my 1 to 8 votes.

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lamar walked around the stadium picking up trash. Not because he had to. He had people to do that stuff...but because he wanted to. He loved the stadium and the team.

Clark? He can get lost. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Is Lamar Jr even involved? Wasn't he at one point? Wasn't there a daughter somewhere along the way as well?

Still. I agree.

And I think that's the first time I've seen "schvantzstucker" used.

12. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would anyone be in favor of making Crew Legends who get enshrined in the National Soccer Hall of Fame eligible regardless of silverware?

13. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only downfall of this is you'll have guys being in multiple franchises Circles of Honor. Chad Marshall comes to mind here.

14. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

15. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    #3965 Sagz, Nov 1, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    In no order Id like to see
    Maisonneuve
    Cunningham
    Gaven
    GBS
    Dante Washington

There are alot of others but those are my tops.

Id really like the new stadium to have a section that honors other that arent quite "retired number" worthy but should have part of the beer hall of fame...people like Moreno

Bill Archer repped this.
  16. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    They could do something as simple as have large player photos in the walls of the Crew House or near the beer garden. If sharing the tradition is important, which Dr Pete sure seems to think it is, then they will find a way to make it work. The 3D seat finder is nice for seat numbers and views but lacks in any type of color or detail of what the final product will look like.

Kryptonite repped this.
  17. Sagz

Sagz Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Cbus
    Im going to add that the beer hall-o-fame should also include every single former player and staffer that showed up to the saved the crew game.

18. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    And he won Save of the Week on one of those too. To think that he could still be realistically starting/playing for this team today. What could he have added to an already impressive career...

redi44crew repped this.
  19. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to disrupt the conversation but stumbled across this about Edson Buddle now coaching, suppose this is correct thread for it. From looks on their website, while the USL 2 (formerly PDL) season didn't happen, he appears to be coaching their U23 team who are playing games this fall in some NY (EDP) league. 3-0 so far.

https://www.uslleaguetwo.com/news_article/show/1088047

20. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now my 2 cents on next Circle of Honor

GBS
    Gaven
    Warzycha
    Pipa
    Cunnigham
    Mais
    Marshall
    St. Dunc

Sagz repped this.
  21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the thought, but if someone wins multiple awards elsewhere (perhaps even overseas) and ends up not doing anything of note in Columbus, would the Circle of Honor mean as much to people who did all sorts of things *for* Columbus?

Hypothetically, PlayerX wins the UEFA Champions League and helps put the USA into the FIFA World Cup Semifinals, but they play for Columbus for two years and don't even make MLS Cup...then what? This guy should definitely be in the NSHOF, but he wouldn't qualify for the Circle of Honor.

Definitely, noteable players should get their due recognition in an appropriate place at the new stadium, but the "Circle of Honor" should be the highest recognition.

22. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They said "automatically eligible" not "automatically enshrined. "

LaMacchia and MLSinCleveland repped this.
  23. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The idea would be to allow a player who plays at a high level on Crew teams that don't win anything.

Basically, trying to provide a way in should the Crew ever have an all-time talent on disastrous teams (or good teams with disastrous luck re: titles)..

Think the soccer equivalent of Dan Marino or Joe Thomas.

TKyle and zman31 repped this.
  24. redi44crew

redi44crew Member+

Mar 27, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  25. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    That was a well done announcement (needed a bit of proofreading) and enjoyed the photo montage at the end.