Ex- Crew Legends: Players, Coaches, and Personalities

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Feb 16, 2013.

1. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was tougher than I thought it was going to be. Drove a 5 speed VW through Ireland. The pedals are the same (if they were reversed, forget it, no-go) but the gear-shifter is a mirror image. And being on the right side of the road, it took every ounce of concentration. It didnt help that there is a hedge about 3 inches from the road on just about every non-motorway road. The first many traffic circles, I had to audibly talk out which way I was going and whom to yield to. Oh, and this was after I realized for the first hour of the trip I was starting in 3rd gear (damn shifter outfoxed me!). Their license plates show the county the car is registered to, so my Dublin plate on the west coast, I think everyone correctly assumed we were tourists.

The best place for a speed test in Columbus is the 270N to 161 ramp, near Easton. It's all downhill and you can see if any cops are hiding, perfect for idiot high schoolers. That's the fastest my '93 Chevy Corsica ever got.

Ueberjames repped this.
  2. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

jairadballerina and Bill Archer repped this.
  3. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite Pam line, and maybe my favorite line ever is "you could drown a toddler in these panties...not that you would."

hangthadj repped this.
  4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I think Pizza Cucinova has closed for good. I used to eat there for lunch most weeks.

Borgata Cafe makes a good NY style thin crust pizza.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Car talk:

I have a neighbor who owns an Aston-Martin. He also owns a motorcycle decked out in a Captain America style. He only brings the Aston-Martin out when there's no clouds several miles around Columbus. I think his regular car is a Hummer H2.

6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every time I hear that phrase, I hear it in a Boston accent...;):D

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3907 Kryptonite, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    The location at Lennox recently had the sign up, so they still appear to be open. A quick internet search reveals nothing. It's not in my regular pizza-eating habits though.

As a kid, I used to eat Sbarro all the time, but partially because it was one of very few options on the PA turnpike. I was in an airport a few years ago and felt sentimental. I was also surprised when I realized it had lasted at City Center until that whole thing was demolished.

Sarefino's at the North Market does good NY-style pizza where it's pre-made, then they throw it in the oven to heat it up.

"Take-and-bake" used to be a big thing. They'd make it, shrinkwrap it up and the customer would bake it in their own oven. I had a neighbor who worked for Abbott and one of her accounts was Our Wheels, Your Oven or whatever that place was called in the building that used to be Millennium Nightclub and now I have no idea what it is. I think Mama Mimi's is still around in that beer store in Grandview.

And if you want alcohol at your regular Donato's, I hear somewhere between AAA and BBB...not necessarily AAA+, but those wheels could be turning. Last time I was in a Donato's other than campus or Short North, it was dry.

If you want a blast from the past, not far from where Our Wheels, Your Oven was and where Pizza Cucinova is/was, you can see what used to be a giant Cingular logo. It was never removed when the Cingular store closed when AT&T took them over.

8. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those narrow country lanes with hedges on either side are a bitch. We were following my wife's cousin on a drive and she suddenly pulled into the hedge, I said WTF, then saw a combine harvester coming in the opposite direction. With no place to go, I pulled into the hedge. The operator of the harvester made room to pass on the other side by turning on the blades and "harvesting" the hedge on the other side.

I got used to driving on the left and roundabouts. I never got used to driving on a narrow country lane with 10 ft hedges on either side and no shoulder and have someone zip by doing 50 in the opposite direction.

Bill Archer repped this.
  9. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a Sbarro on High Street in Clintonville between N. Broadway & Cooke, I go there for lunch sometimes.

10. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The woman that lives in my house - after a brief recount of this discussion - has decreed that if I'm going to have a mid-life crisis vehicle she'd rather it be a mid-90s ragtop Wrangler than a mid-90s T-Top Z.

Oh well, could be worse. Either one has an infinite quotient for finding trouble.

11. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -cue drool and jealousy-

12. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May I highly suggest you go with a mid 2000s Wrangler instead? TJs are the best.

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3913 Bill Archer, Sep 22, 2020
    When my son was in high school,, I had some tires put on his Z car and then drove it over to the school library to pick him up.

1 parked in front of the building and sat there for a minute, sun shining, t tops off, engine idling, tunes playing.

A guy, maybe 18 years old, walks by, checks out the car for a seco d and then as he's walking away, says "heavy ride, man"

Good luck waiting for some guy to say that to an old guy in a 20 year old Jeep.

LaMacchia repped this.
  14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3914 Kryptonite, Sep 22, 2020
    Back in the 80s or 90s, there was some cartoon with a car that was quite loud. I can't remember the name of the show.

That's what I'm reminded of when I hear that Aston-Martin coming. I have no idea what year or model it is, but it's quite loud.

Edit...it was Speed Buggy.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have two Aston-Martin's. Unfortunately, they are Corgi's (the 007 Goldfinger ones).

redi44crew, Bill Archer and CybrSlydr repped this.
  16. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    I have an 07 and a 01 Jeep! When I was young, a car would never last that long!

Bill Archer repped this.
  17. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize how bad DC was this year. Bad enough that their team leader in goals is none other than Frederico Higuain, with 2 goals (no assists) in 155 total minutes played.

MLSinCleveland and redi44crew repped this.
  18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess he was right when he thought he could still play in MLS. He just didn't know that it would be for a Wooden Spoon contender.

19. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had a Corgi years ago. Great little dog.

TKyle repped this.
  20. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering when his move to Inter Miami to play with his brother will happen.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  21. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They both may be put out to pasture before that happens.

22. Dan Milton

Dan Milton Member

Nov 25, 1998
    I have owned a 1960 Triumph tr3 and a 1970 Triumph Spitfire! Still wished I hadn't passed on buying a 1965 Austin Healy! All fun two seat roadsters!
    The tr3_would not start one cold morning. I mentioned it to my father. He told me to pour hot water over the manifold. I did and it started right away. My Dad told me that was the way they started model ts on cold days!

Bill Archer repped this.
  23. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That kind of thing has been known to happen from time to time in sports.

24. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word is that Inter Miami will soon have Dos Higuains.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone surprised? That should bump Trapp even further down the sub list.

MLSinCleveland repped this.