Ex- Crew Legends: Players, Coaches, and Personalities

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3876 Bill Archer, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    I agree that it would be great to dump Papa Johns, but mostly because their food is inedible garbage.

Someone should crawl over to Gahanna, beg Jane Grote for whatever shes willing to pay and serve Donatos. No its not the best Za in the world, or even in Columbus, but they are a big enough company to pony up for the local side and it beats hell out of that shit on shoe leather from PJ's.

They were a sponsor until LaughLame found someone who'd pay a couple bucks more. It's my understanding that buttmunch cum slurping gutter slut is down selling his soul in Austin now and the Crew is about Columbus again.

Ditto Turkey Hill ice cream. I'm sure they pay good coin and I'm also sure their stuff isnt fit for dogs. If you're gonna extort five large out of loyal fans for a pair of seats you cant ask them to eat taste free sickly-sweet store brand IC that puts you in glucose shock because actual flavor costs money but beet sugar is cheap.

Plus, Jeni was there for us when the whole frikkin world turned their backs. Nobody gsve a shit and she stood up. Money is money, I get it, but that lady was all in for the Crew when things looked worst and if that doesn't count for something then I question the whole dealio.

Plus, in fact, Jenis is some awesome shit. Are they upping their game or not?

the_rickler, stanger and CybrSlydr repped this.
  2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wasn't Jeni one of the sponsors who said they bailed because You-Know-Who raised the prices astronomically?

I was surprised at how big the Turkey Hill ice cream was, but then again, it's nothing special. Jeni's ice cream would be a lot smaller, but then again, it's also a major uptick in quality.

Donato's would be a major coup. It doesn't help I'm addicted to the stuff. I'm sure we wouldn't get anything much beyond their regular 7" pepperoni or cheese which is typically made way before being sold at sports, but it's a lot better than the big dough ring you get with Papa John's. The Donato's at restaurants is a lot better than the stuff at stadiums/arenas. You get actual Donato's employees vs volunteers or third-party company employees and you actually get a proper amount of toppings on the pizza.

How the hell anything not "Edge to Edge" is sold in Columbus is beyond me. No, I don't want maybe one pepperoni on a slice of pepperoni pizza. Some of this stuff is "cheese and sauce with pepperoni."

CybrSlydr and Bill Archer repped this.
  3. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donatos is my favorite chain pizza, bar-none.

LastOfEleven and Crew96Fan repped this.
  4. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love Donato’s at the new place as I agree, it’s the best chain in Columbus.
    I just hope the individual pizzas are better than they are at The Schott, because those suck.

5. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, as the chains go, Godfather’s (where it exists > Dewey’s > Mellow Mushroom > Donato’s > Jet’s > Dominos > Sbarro > Little Caesar’s >>>Papa John’s >>>Pizza Hut

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Mushrooms are the Devil.

7. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that Massey's Well Done Double Pep hasn't been mentioned in this discussion is an abomination.

Or are we strictly talking about pizzas that don't require a home equity loan?

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame that on the people who run the stands making them way in advance and leaving them around too long. Everyone I've had is burned.

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could mention Giodano's, but not only can we not have Chicago pizza, someone would be along to say that Chicago pizza isn't pizza but lasagna.

There's that Pizza Cucinova too.

I had Pizza Hut when they were giving away the free pizza. Not only did I have to go way out of my way to get it, but I'm glad it was free.

Several years ago, I had some weird sort of "new" Domino's crust. That stuff was vile.

10. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is incorrect.
    Canned mushrooms are in fact evil, but not the Devil.
    Fresh mushrooms are...good!

Minnman repped this.
  11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    All mushrooms. ALL. Bad. Deplorable.

12. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a basket?
    Oops, wrong thread.

MLSinSTL repped this.
  13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And almost any East Coast pizza shop >>>>> all of them. But that's what I grew up with. There's a Godfathers at exit 145 in I-70 in Indiana (though I've not gone there), BTW (across from the giant candle). Saw the sign last weekend.

14. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought a used car for my kid - a Nissan 300zx* which had seen better days - from a lady in Bloomsburg, PA, a town I had never heard of (we lived in Uniontown at the time) but which 3 years later we ended up moving to, which was weird.

Anyway, she was selling her husbands car because he was a Mafia member who owned a couple pizza places and he'd been caught in the famous Pizza Connection indictments which brought down the Bonanno family. (They were using pizza joints to launder money). (Although our guy was indicted on a bunch of other stuff to; he wasn't a nice man)

So he had already been deported back to Sicily and his wife was selling his shit getting ready to move over there to live with him. She had a stack of documents an inch thick from the DoJ we had to sort through to transfer the title.

But before his untimely departure for the Old World, he had an apprentice that he taught about making pizza New York style. The guy was awesome and made hands down the best pizza on the planet. Opened a small shop in Bloomsburg and sits there to this day selling insane pizza to rural idiots and you can't convince him that he could move to a real place and become rich and famous.

If you're ever traveling through Central PA on 70, stop in. You'll freak out. Tell Dom I said hey.

*Still one of the best commercials ever:

CybrSlydr, LaMacchia and kgilbert78 repped this.
  15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you mean I-80 not 70.... But there are lots of good mom and pop pizza places all over central PA....

Pauncho and Bill Archer repped this.
  16. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking to my wife just the other day about how my mid-life crisis car will most likely be a mid-90s Fairlady Z with T-Tops, of course. And finding one with twin turbos would be icing on the cake.

Edit: New York Pizza is best pizza, but Columbus style is a close second.

17. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Stow has a great NY-style place called Luca's. The owner is from Sicily, spent years working in NYC pizza shops, and now lives out here running a pizza shop out of a tiny red shack on the edge of the Marhoffer Chevy dealership. I believe Marhoffer tried to get him to sell when they were expanding their dealership, but he said no. All the NY transplants around here, my wife included, rave about it. Good stuff. I would get it all the time were it not for my weight loss program and trying not to weigh 250 lbs. (Also the reason why I don't head to North Canton for Giordano's more often). One thing that Donato's has going for it is that the thin crust won't completely trash your diet.

Bill Archer repped this.
  18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine was a two-day rental of a Mercedes that Mrs KG encouraged back in 2016. 100 mph on the autobahn.... Nothing fancy (basic sedan) but a wonderful experience. Since I cannot drive a stick (or at least haven't driven one since my college days), that's about as good as it will get for me (we did not do the Ferrari drive in Marenello last year for that reason--sat in one though). ferrari.jpg

19. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shall I send you a picture of the green 94 with t-tops and twin turbos that I have in my barn? It's rough but man, when those turbos spool up that sucker will flat out run. Bought it on a salvage title from a guy in Cleveland maybe 10 years ago. The thing had been stolen, then found after the insurance company had paid it off. The guy owns a shop and got it put together pretty nice but he resprayed over the original red which would have been better. Nissan never offered a green color.

My wife drove me up to pick it up and since there was some question about the title and I slapped the plates from an XTerra on it to drive home, she ran out front in her car on 80. I got tired of being careful in this machine and floored it. 10 seconds later I blew by her doing 105 and it hadn't broken a sweat.

If you want I'll ask my son if he's ready to let it go. He still has the 90 NA 2+2, which is a better looking car with the extra 8 inches in length but it doesn't pin you back in the seat.

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only car I ever drove regularly that would pin me back in my seat when I hit it was my dad's 1969 Impala--likely because it had a 350 engine and a four-barrel carburetor (and probably got 8 mpg--but gas was 50 cents a gallon). But that Mercedes was pretty close.

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    One of these days I'll have to post pictures I took of the Mercedes dealership in Abu Dhabi back in 2009 or so. Sadly, that's the closest I'll get to cars like that.

(though there were often some rather insane autos parked outside the hotel pretty much every day - if you can think of it, it was probably parked there in front)

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see that.

You should have seen some of the cars parked outside both Ferrari museums.... At least a half-dozen Maserati's, for one. And that was *outside*.

One of the most interesting cars I've ever seen in Columbus, on the street, was a Lotus Europa (near Hudson and Indianola). Surprised the heck out of me. And then there was the teammate on my co-rec team for whom a 911 was his regular car.... Very cool guy, however.

23. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    One day, I followed a Lamborghini Aventador (I think) home south on Rt. 8 in Akron (if you know Akron, you know that's a very odd place to be driving that). He shocked the crap out of me when he got off at Exchange St. and drove through campus. Must have re-aligned his spine.

I stopped going to Abu Dhabi JUST as Ferrari World was getting spun up out on Yas Island. THAT would have been a blast.

Ueberjames repped this.
  24. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a Mercedes rental in England. It was a basic C-Class, but still fun to drive, especially with right hand drive. My wife didn't want to rent a stick on the off chance she would have to drive (driving on the other side of the road already raises the level of difficulty, adding a stick raises it even higher). If you want an automatic in the UK, Mercedes it is.

I can imagine what cars you would see in Abu Dhabi. We saw a lot of impressive supercars on the streets of London, most of which I had only on Top Gear, and mostly with license plates from the UAE and Qatar. Tourists would come up and take selfies with the cars.

In the early '90s, my friends and I were traveling around Europe and made a stop in Monaco for a night. The parking lots were filled with Ferraris and Lamborghinis, but the most interesting car was a pimped-out Lada Niva.

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    "Pimped out" and "Lada" in the same sentence?

Wow.

RafaLarios and CybrSlydr repped this.