Evra, "We were Babies" - The other teams thread (Special humiliation edition)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ZIAD, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    the only thing about that is Cronaldo doesnt help out OShea on the left (and he had problems with Henry even tho Henry was no where near his best)

I do agree about the importance of Berba, helping them keep possession...

but if they attacked Barca like you describe, I really think Barca would have put more past them...

then if you play Oshea centrally, who is right back? Nevile cant handle anyone anymore (why was he called up to the England squad?), Brown isnt match fit, and Henry would have scarred Rafael for life... in fact, having a right side of Rafael and Cronaldo is not good defensively...

thats the other problem... Carrick was terrible, I really rate Carrick, but he gave the worst performance of anyone on the pitch...

2. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't find anyone in their right mind who said Berbatov should've played before the match. Saying what Fergie should have done afterward is pointless and very easy. Berbatov has been sh.it this season especially recently. Rooney not showing up was a much bigger detriment than crappy Berbatov not starting. There is no player that was not started that would have made a difference, with the exception of Tevez instead of Rooney, but that was never going to happen. That Barca team was friggin outstanding, simply better. Some people are making it sound a lot more like United lost it as opposed to Barca won it.

Another side point daprince was talking about, I think Nani and Anderson are on the verge of being big flops.

3. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    ive never seen a midfielder player, on the big stage do a swing and a miss... until Anderson did it yesterday, lol

and he did it in the middle third, on a pass...

he shows flashes of being a quality player, but more often he is pointless... we should really appreciate Denilson a lot more...

and Nani, wont even talk about him, he may be sold this summer...

4. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Uh, no. Neither Carrick nor Anderson are ball winners, and neither have any sense of defensive positioning. Now Carrick can possess the ball, but he brought his D game to the final and didn't do himself any favors. Carrick is a good fit for Man Utd in the Premiership, and they've won two in a row with him, but he got exposed by Barca, and it's not like it's any crime to be bossed by Messi, Xavi and Iniesta. Scholes is past it, and more than Keane, hasn't been replaced yet in the Man Utd lineup. This is why I've been so bitter about where we've finished the past 2-3 years, because I think there are big holes in the Man Utd lineup that we've not been able to exploit.

With Hargreaves of dubious quality, Fletcher is the only ball winner thay have and I think he's as valuable to Man Utd as Flamini was to us. He plays within himself, he's a great, great crosser of the ball, and the goals he scores always seem to be in important games. I'd take Fletch in a heartbeat.

5. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Not strictly every Utd fan as proven by a hell of a lot of callers on Your On Sky Sports after the match and quite a few of my Utd following mates early in the season.

Many believe that while they have been sucessful they havnt played their best football with 4-2-3-1 and would much rather reverting to a traditional 4-4-2 when they were blowing a lot of teams out of the water. They just cant do it with Carrick in the team and Hargreaves out. A lot of guys want to see Hargreaves and Anderson as the future pairing.

Rooney and Berbatov should be the starting 2 up front. Berba needs a hard working runner with him to bring out his best. Thats why he was so effective with Keane at Sp*rs

6. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Actualy, O'Shea was solid (on the right). He doesnt make many mistakes and was one of the Utd players that can come out with a bit of credit.

7. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I meant right, lol...

I thought OShea was one of the best of a bad lot... but he was helped by the fact Henry wasnt 100%, but even then Henry got by Oshea a couple of times, and should have given a better finish that once instance...

8. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Future looks bleak for discarded Hleb

Point and laugh!

9. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    ....but then you would expect Henry to beat his man a couple of times over 70mins or so

10. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yah thats fine, but to think that the inclusion of Fletcher would have nullified Barcelona's complete dominance is more than hopeful. Barcelona's passing was so clean and sharp on the night that I doubt that one decent player would have made much of a difference.

I usually can't stand steven cohen, but he said something very telling today on on his show, "United were chasing shadows".

I don't even think that Essien would have been able to disrupt Barcelona last night.

11. Scally

Scally Member+

Aug 29, 2006
    Rep. of Ireland
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    [​IMG]

LOL....its strangely believeable!

12. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    can't stand him. The devolution of brazilian football personified.

13. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Papa Burgundy

Papa Burgundy Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Dirty Jerz
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i don't think man utd would've beat barcelona if they were playing with 12 players on the field. barcelona had a great game, and their passing was beautiful. all the man utd players could do was just watch.

man utd had an off game, especially carrick, who constantly gave the ball back. ronaldo was the only trying to make something happen. i dont get why rooney didn't play more centrally. still, i just don't think man utd has the midfield to cope with that type of play.

still, i think fergie has some blame. after going down 1-0, they were sucker punched and showed no response. i thought he should've put more players into the midfield, and try and have barca play longer balls to the wings. i think he paniced and tried to get the goal as quickly as possible instead of trying to boss the game. they had 80 min to score one goal. when he played too many attackers against barca and it just leaves way too much space in the middle.

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    if u dont understand the system dont talk on it

u dont need ball winners specifically, generally teams play a deeper midfield 2 who can somewhat ball win but mainly play the ball around, if u watch england, would u say barry and lampard are ball winners? with rooney in the central position it would allow him to aid that area and play deeper rather than isolate himself on the left where he is weaker to win the ball highr up

i honestly think united wouldve done better being more aggressive, barca looked shit when united attacked at the start, then they just gave up

this formation allows more freedom in the attack and possibly more chances on goal

either way, united shrivelled up and died after etoo scored

im gonna enjoy next season if ronaldo leaves, he truely is the difference between them winning the league and reaching the cl final

16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he did over 2 legs that chelsea shouldve gone through

people are making barcelona sound like brazil in 1970

man united lost this game by fielding a strange lineup and going limp after barca scored

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    on the bbc sports rumours

0950 BST: Chelsea have signed Russian international midfielder Yuri Zhirkov for $30m from CSKA Moscow according to Russian newspaper Tvoi Den. The tabloid claims Zhirkov will join on a four-year contract. (Russian tabloid Tvoi Den)

"Yuri has signed the contract with Chelsea just a day or two ago," the newspaper quoted Zhirkov's agent as saying. "He will join his new team this summer."

18. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    You earned it!

The thought that United would have won if Fletcher had not been suspended has filled me with a warm glow! It's as if we helped to beat them!!

19. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    I hope that you mentioned that we did at least give them a game in 2006 even though we only had 10 men for most of the match!

..and that their total humiliation let the whole country down in front of a word wide audience!

20. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    Have all the fans returned yet ?? I heard that a nasty case of swine flu broke out, coz they were all pig sick.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ^^not your best work,would a neg rep be too ott for its badness?

22. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    In Other News

Lube me up Lloyd

Serial Spurs shagger Danielle Lloyd has admirably filled the bare Tottenham Hotspur trophy cabinet for the last two years. Like a trophy wife without the needless paper work, Miss Lloyd has been the prize winning medal passed around the White Hart Lane dressing room to compensate for the lack of silverware and mid-table mediocrity.

From ex-Spur Teddy Sheringham, to Jermain Defoe and current man of the moment, Jamie O'Hara. Lloyd knows so many intimate details about the Spurs squad, Harry Redknapp is considering taking her on as a coach!

The wily veteran of the WAG world has wined and dined at every footballers haunt in central Europe, most recently appearing on Hell's Kitchen, controversially sending her food back to the kitchen. She forgot she ordered mutton dressed as lamb! Only joking Danielle...

There is no doubt as one of the original WAGS, Danielle Lloyd has written herself into football folklore forever! Lloydy, Sport.co.uk salutes you! In more ways than one...

23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you're being extreme in the opposite direction by chalking it all up to United being poor. Ya think maybe the truth lies somewhere in between?

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    barca were excellent, but united were a mere shadow of their former self, its a mix of both like u say

25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt United played poorly....not up to their usual level. I just don't think Fletcher and/or a change of tactics would've helped that much. They just don't have the overall quality in their central midfield (compared to say...Chelsea) to stifle Barca's attack once Barca got settled in.

I would recommend, for anyone really interested, reading Dark Savante's take on the match in the United forum's post-match thread. I don't always agree with his take on things, but his posts are usually very interesting and insightful from a tactical standpoint.