Evra at left back? I can't believe it's not Buttner! - The Alexander Büttner Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Cevno, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Büttner signs for United

Dutch defender Alexander Büttner has today completed his medical, agreed personal terms and signed for Manchester United on a five-year contract until 2017.
    The 23-year-old, who was part of Holland's preliminary squad for this summer's European Championship, joins the Reds from Vitesse Arnhem, where he made 119 appearances over the past four years.
    Sir Alex Ferguson said: "Alexander is one of the best young left backs in Europe and we're delighted to sign him. He's someone we've been watching for a while now. He gives us some really exciting options in that position."
    Alexander Büttner said: "Joining Manchester United is one of the best days of my life. It's a team I have admired for many years now and I can't wait to join my teammates and play my part in helping the club be successful."

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-F...nder-buttner-signs-for-manchester-united.aspx

LGRod repped this.
  2. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some high praise there from Sir Alex.

3. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Start him next game.

4. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can't be any worse than Evra has been in the last couple of years. He'll probably only be a bit part player this season though (unless he can play centre back perhaps).

5. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

Doesn't seem he is being given much of a royal treatment at the club. Probably had to buy it himself as well. :p

6. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Evra has been a liability for 2 seasons and is making another strong case this one but SAF cant see under his nose, if we dont remove dead weights we would be having another nothing season. SAF of previous years would have got rid.

7. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's just bought a player who perhaps can replace Evra. With limited funds what more do you want?

8. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This action could have been taken last year.

9. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Kind of off-topic - is the homegrown/U21 rule still in place? With Fabio on loan and signing this guy how are we doing in that regard if it is? Van Persie and Kagawa don't fit in with it either.

10. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  11. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  12. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    when a signing like this happens, just goes to show how extensive our scouting network is and all that is reported in the press can sometimes just be folly. this guy was on no one's lists, anywhere. shows that we are not just looking at the "big names" and doing homework in all leagues.

hopefully he will have a successful career at United.

johno repped this.
  13. yikchi

yikchi Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    Garden State
    Can he defend?

14. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    hopefully!

15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's obviously not a requirement (see: Evra, Patrice)

benni... repped this.
  16. Vocalz

Vocalz ManUtd! SLB! Pt!

Dec 31, 2005
    California
    Left and Right backs are now just attackers that can put in a tackle. The amount of times in our current model of top flight footie you see a damn wingback get caught out of position because he was "helping the attack" is crazy.

17. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    FB's as a position have changed more in the modern european game (at the big clubs) that any other position.

18. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  19. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good read, thatkid .

Who knew that he would be playing for us and not against us.

Credit to Fergie for again ensuring that our defense is set for the future.

20. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Let's see how he plays first.

My theory is that Evra's performances will improve now that there is some competition.

Futbol_Head repped this.
  21. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The kid does look like he's quite athletic and strong in the upper body. He's not all skin and bone, which should aid him well in this league.

22. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So, was speaking to a dutch guy i know, who is a PSV fan today and he reckons that he is pretty decent going forward for a fullback. Has a solid shot and cross, and can beat a man from a stop start having started off as a winger.

The problem with him is defensively though according to him, as he is still weak positionally and allows too many crosses in. Also, seems to lose his balance too regularly when he is running while defending.

Not sure what to make of it, but yeah that's what i got off him and he usually has pretty decent opinion on football.

23. nimma

nimma Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am just happy that we have signed him....Evra can get a rest for a few games too....

24. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nope.

25. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008