Everyone's favorite son: The Timo Werner thread

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Epitome990, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Timo Werner, on the other hand, is a tough kid.

Good strength n body balance, despite his relative lack of height

2. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Werner has better strength and a physical built form for sure. Mentally strong as well, having put of with a lot of adversity during his early years with a struggling Stuttgart team, and facing criticism from the press. Eggestein seems more of a finesse forward, like along the lines of a Griezmann or Dybala. There's 2 years in age difference of course, but Eggestein needs to keep working more on his conditioning to become a higher level pro.

Ger90 and Karl-Heinz Riedle repped this.
  3. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Johannes Eggestein can be a Dennis Bergkamp type striker

Skilled, composed, can shoot well with both foot

He needs to gain strength because this has become more demanding in modern football than 10-20 years ago

That will be great for us.

4. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Reus and Götze are fit, Stindl stays home.

Ger90 repped this.
  5. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Stindl did mention once in an interview about how he never got called up before because of the huge competition for places. It's why his 1st call up was when he was 28 years old. So yeah if Reus, Gotze are fit then he won't make it. Those 2 players also have the advantage of CL too. As Gladbach failed to make Europe, it makes it even harder for him to make the squad.

6. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Still taller than Gerd Muller. Guess size doesn't matter if you've got talent.

7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    “He’s a phenomenal weapon,” says Germany veteran midfielder Sami Khedira.

“He is an outstanding striker,” says veteran German defender Mats Hummels. “And that’s an understatement. He is a damn good and in the long term we could have a very, very strong center forward.”

Thomsen repped this.
  8. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Timo Werner's case should be learnt from Bundesliga teams

He is always a good poacher n a good striker talent. But why did Stuttgart always use him on the flank? Right wing, left wing.......

And yes, its because they prefer Martin Harnik up top instead of him, and clubs always play a single-striker formation. Thats frustrating

I saw players like David Otto, Florian Kruger, Paul Besong n Jesaja Herrmann being used as wingers in the past, just because they have a senior striker ahead of them in the team . Thats a waste of talent

Dennis Borkowski from Leipzig, Mick Gudra from Schalke n Ole Pohlmann from Wolfsburg.....they all prefer centre forward role from what ive been told n where they used to play. But teams have to put them everywhere because of various reasons.

"He is fast so he should be used as winger, we need his pace"
    "He is skilled so he should be better off at the AM role"
    "He is versatile but Mr.X can only play striker, so we have decided to put him out wide."

if youth teams/ bundesliga teams have decided not to stick with a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 formation, sometimes using a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 for example........

maybe our striker talents wont be wasted as much. And we will have more young strikers getting breakout

If Leipzig didnt play a 4-4-2 formation with two strikers, i really wonder if Timo Werner can play such an important role up front. He might be used as a winger again.

Its all about luck.

Johannes Eggestein has some chance, too. Because Werder bremen are playing 3-5-2 formation in general. David Otto is another, but of course there are so many strikers ahead of him in Hoffenheim.

Sifrit and Ger90 repped this.
  9. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    Very true. He is such an asset and gives us something we were lacking. With Timo in the side, Germany has the ability/threat to score at any time regalrdless of how the team is playing. Over the past several years we needed to domiate possession and not conced first in order to win. We needed to play very well to win. That's a lot of pressure in a tournament. Now, we could have higher return on the possession domination and have the likelyhood of scoring even if the team is having an off day.

Ger90 repped this.
  10. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Timo does nothing else than scoring goals these days

Ger90 repped this.
  11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    that was a crazy goal though
    https://imgtc.com/w/DI3qOoq

out-manning 2 players solo before scoring a goal like that.

Thomsen repped this.
  12. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    clinical... :)

Ger90 repped this.
  13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Our favorite Son this season
    Club:
    3 goals in 3 games for domestic (current joint scorer with Lewa)
    1 goal in 1 game for cup

amounts to 4 goals in 4 games in all competition

Overall Total: 7 goals in 6 games

14. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    are any big clubs interested in him??

Ger90 repped this.
  15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Real Madrid and Liverpool always seem to be the 2 most rumored.

I'm sure if he continues like this and with a good WC, all the big clubs will be knocking on the door.

16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    so it took him 7 seconds from when he got the ball for him to go from his half and score, while shrugging off 2 defenders. Taking one quick look at the keeper before shooting into the corner from afar. That's very hard to do at that speed while having a moving ball at your feet and 2 people trying to stop you. The goal also happened at the 74 minute, so even that far into the game his speed and endurance were still present!

even more funny the 2 guys trying to tactically foul him, only for both to fail miserably.

Epitome990 repped this.
  17. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I should hope not. There's room & need for all of them.

Yeah, Eggestein's skill level is simply fantastic. He needs to fill out, just like Werner did at that age, but he could be even better...especially in matches were his team doesn't get any room to run.

Werner wasn't as physically developed when he was playing on the wing for Stuttgart, as he is now.

18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thomsen repped this.
  19. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Who do we leave at home to make room for him? In attack we have so many candidates. Löw will probably nominate two center forwards and several versatile attackers like Reus, Götze, Müller, Sane, and Özil. He still needs room for midfielders and defense. I just don't see how Stindl makes it unless Götze and Reus aren't fit. I'm not saying I don't want him in the team, but trying to predict what Löw would do based on his past decisions.

20. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    more records for Werner, he's officially the 4th youngest player to hit 37 Bundesliga goals.
    1-Dieter Müller: 21 years, 60 days
    2-Klaus Fischer:21 years, 68 days
    3-Gerd Müller: 21 years, 114 days
    4-Timo Werner: 21 years and 186 days

So yet again, Werner seems to drift near Klaus Fischer and Gerd Muller when it comes to breaking records. Even last season he was the youngest to score 20+ goals since Dieter Muller if I recall right. He seems to be fitting right in with the legends.

21. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I actually think RBL's Ole Pohlmann reminds me a lot of Timo Werner.

Pohlmann is just as fast , a bit bigger in size but less clinical in front of goal.

Timo Werner's breakout was pure luck.

Stuttgart used him as a winger because there were several veteran strikers ahead of him.

Leipzig play a 4-4-2 and there arent too many veteran strikers so Timo Werner had his chance. If Leipzig play a one-striker formation? Timo Werner would be another lost talent at the wing

Ole Pohlmann has similar issue too. Was a top striker in his Hannover days but has to play wing for Wolfsburg because "he is fast".

But i can definitely see Pohlmann to Leipzig one day, when they sold Timo Werner to Bayern or Real Madrid

22. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Buying players from Red Bull will not be easy, especially now they will likely be in the CL on a regular basis. I can't see Liverpool affording him, unless he has a buy out clause like Keita.

I also feel that Werner is at the perfect club for him development wise at this point, he is guaranteed to play every week as a striker, they play to his strengths and he is playing in the CL. At Bayern, Real etc he would most likely be part of the rotation and also likely spend a lot of time playing out wide in a front 3. Imo he should stay at RBL for another season or two after this one.

Ger90 repped this.
  23. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  24. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    German Legend Berti Vogts praises Werner

"Debutants RB Leipzig could be the surprise of this football season's Champions League campaign, former Germany head coach Hans-Hubert Vogts has said.

"They have brilliant and speedy players. Timo Werner even reminds me of the young Lionel Messi," Vogts stressed, reports Xinhua news agency.

The 70-year-old expects the East-German side to play a vital role despite their young and inexperienced team. "For me, Leipzig is one of the secret favorites to win the Champions League," Vogts said in a recent column.

Vogts is impressed by Leipzig's unorthodox game style. "They don't care much about ball possession. The plan is to get to the opponents box as fast as possible. Some of the big clubs are not used to that anymore," the former German international and 1974 world champion commented.

Leipzig, Vogts said, play a modern form of football, not many clubs can play, and are not easy to defend as they are constantly attacking.

It is no disadvantage that the club counts on a young and inexperienced team. "Why should that be a disadvantage? I think it is an advantage. The team is acting without any worries and second thoughts," Vogts said.

RB Leipzig was founded only eight years ago and made it to the Bundesliga within five years from the fourth division. The club is supported by an Austrian billionaire.

For 21-year-old Werner, Vogts predicts a brilliant future. "He can make it to the top. And today I am convinced Timo will make it. Just take a look at the speed he has in one-to-one situations. He is not the tallest, and he has instinct for the right moment," Vogts said.

In Vogts' perspective, Werner has what is called "a nose" for goal situations just like the great German strikers such as Gerd Mueller and Uwe Seeler. Werner has an exceptional talent like all the great footballers in history."
    http://www.business-standard.com/ar...of-young-messi-says-vogts-117091201374_1.html

Epitome990 repped this.