Everyone's favorite son: The Timo Werner thread

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Epitome990, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    It's because of the dive in RB Leipzig's match last season vs Schalke. RasenBallsport are unpopular with people outside of Leipzig in general.

2. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  3. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thanks, I didn't know about the dive incident but almost every young forward/attacker dives at some time or other. I understand that RasenBallsport are unpopular because Red Bull basically bought a contender, but I don't see how this is different from Hoffenheim.

4. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  5. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well those German idiots in Prag were mostly from the near Dresden area. A place where guys like them are very prominent. They're also rivals with the clubs of the Leipzig area, it's no wonder they still booed Werner.

rj123 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  6. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  7. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Ger90 repped this.
  8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We need an Erner button like the Gomez one

Epitome990 repped this.
  9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    between CC and WQC, he has cemented his place as 1st choice!!!

10. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Werner, Müller, and Draxler are my choice for the front attacking trio. Great chemistry the three of them showed today.

dips82 repped this.
  11. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think we need someone between Kroos & Ozil so would just play two ahead of Mesut:

Reus*** - Mueller
    Ozil
    ...Sane** - Kroos - Ilkay* - Brandt**
    Hummels - Boateng - Kimmich
    Neuer
    *** (Kruse) / Werner / Stindl / Brandt / Draxler / Sane / Volland / Gnabry / Philipp
    ** Sane / Hector / Gnabry / Henrichs / Kimmich / Weiser / Draxler / Plattenhart / Volland
    * Dahoud / Weigl / Kramer / Gotze / Demirbay / Rudy / Henrichs / Amiri / Goretzka

12. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Not sure if I would consider Gündogan as starter at this point. But I'd definitely like seeing him among the NT depth of options. Hope he has a good comeback campaign with Man City.

Ger90 repped this.
  13. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  14. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  15. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Q: Timo Werner was cheered this time...

Löw: I thought that was good and it was appropriate. Timo played more than 100 Bundesliga games for VfB Stuttgart as a young player and scored quite a few goals; he gave everything for three years here. I found what happened embarrassing and very harsh; he plays for Germany and he’s already scored a lot of goals in only a few games. It was great from the beginning today, all the spectators were supporting him. It was a real pleasure to be here.

Q: Werner runs in deep time and time again. Does he change the style of the team?

Löw: He causes big problems for his opponents and is extremely difficult to defend against because he charges towards goal and has incredible pace. When you watch him in a match or training, the way he plays is amazing considering the short amount of time he’s been in the team. He makes lateral runs, penetrating runs and so on, which is great for our link-up play because we can play the ball in behind their defence. I hope he can keep it up – it’s hard for our opponents to stop it.
    https://www.dfb.de/en/news/detail/l...ache=1&cHash=cbf19229e2ef3be32d5be97776b1d799

Mario Gomez back Timo Werner
    'He will dominate the attack for Germany for the next 10 years,' 32-year-old Gomez, who has himself scored a highly respectable 31 goals in 71 matches, told reporters after also getting onto the scoresheet against Norway.

'It is likely he will do the same in Europe if he continues like that. He is level-headed and does a fantastic job. We need someone like Timo in such a form if we want to be world champions.'

Gomez, who missed the 2014 World Cup triumph through injury, has now conceded second spot to Werner as the Germans prepare to defend their title next year in Russia.

'I told the coach that if he needs me I will be there, I am satisfied in my role, especially if Timo fires us to World Cup victory,' Gomez said.

Epitome990 repped this.
  16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    more on Werner
    "I've rarely seen a striker that's so goal hungry as he is," explained Germany head coach Joachim Löw, marvelling at Werner's two-goal salvo in the world champions' 6-0 2018 World Cup qualifying win over Norway on Monday. "He's extremely fast and a real problem for every team's defense. He's so intense. I hope he'll continue to develop as he did last season. He'll go a long way."

"I've gained confidence," revealed Werner, who officially ranks as Germany's third-highest scorer after eight matches with six goals - one ahead of Klose (five), two behind Gerd Müller (eight) and four adrift of Klaus Fischer (10). "If I can continue like this, I might be able to help the German team win more titles, maybe as early as in Russia at the 2018 World Cup."
    http://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/B...werner-miroslav-klose-heir-germany-458285.jsp

so he's 3rd best start ever. Nice praise from Low!

Epitome990 and Thomsen repped this.
  17. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Even more about Werner
    For Loew, Werner has developed to one of his most important options in their bid to successfully defend the World Cup title next year in Russia. Several German newspapers called Werner Loew's strongest weapon. The 57-year-old German coach has admitted that Werner's qualities have already an effect on the team's style.

Other players like midfielder Mesut Oezil (Arsenal) or Toni Kroos (Real Madrid) wait for Werner's runs into the opponent's box and then deliver the right pass, Loew told German media after the Norway game in Stuttgart. Werner takes the game deep into the opponent's half continued Loew.

"The intensity he has looking for the direct way to the goal is brutal. He can change positions. You don't know which route he will take," said the German coach.

Loew is impressed by Werner's versatility when taking up attacking positions. For long the Stuttgart born striker was regarded as the right man along the left flank but meanwhile has developed to Germany's spearhead number one. "I hope he'll continue to develop as he did last year," Loew said.

His dreams seem to fit with those of his coach. "Today a football team needs to play at least two tactical systems," Loew said. Timo Werner found himself in the German starting eleven in both systems (4-2-3-1 or 4-1-3-2).
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-09/05/c_136585594.htm

Thomsen and Epitome990 repped this.
  18. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Tbh I view Werner to be irreplaceable and the most important player because there's no one like him in Germany - what a future he has! Fingers crossed that he stays healthy.

Ger90 repped this.
  19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    agreed, because he's the best striker we have. There are no better options. If 2016-2017 Werner had played in the EC16, we could have won that tourney.

knowing Low our strikers will end up being Werner and Gomez for WC18. Wagner won't make it, Stindl depends on numerous factors for him to make it. Season play and what is the fitness and the standing of every other player.

20. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    bro, if Germany didn't struggle with all the injuries and the suspension of Hummels they would've won the Euro

Hope so

Ger90 repped this.
  21. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Epitome990 repped this.
  22. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I think Mark Uth has a rather similar game to Timo Werner

Not as fast, but probably more clinical

23. marcellsas

marcellsas Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    He should prove it first with Hoffe

24. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Uth is my boy since scouting him during his Heerenveen days, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a better season than Wagner. But Werner is well beyond his level of overall talent.

25. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Watched Johannes Eggestein play yesterday

Kid is skilled n has some instinct in front of goal

But he needs to play a lot tougher n gain substantial strength if he wanna hold a regular spot at the CF position at pro level