Everyone's favorite son: The Timo Werner thread

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Epitome990, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    there were actually plenty of rumors of Werner to Real Madrid. As Zidane supposedly seems him as an ideal replacement for Morata.

But Agreed with you it would be a mistake to leave Germany. He still needs to refine himself, in other countries, he'll be a bench player, instead of a starter. No one wants him to regress.

2. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's had a great season with RB and an exceptional tournament, but you guys need to cool it. Lol.

3. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    not sure what anyone needs to cool it for? For saying he should stay in Germany to develop his game more? Or that he has great potential.

it's not like anyone called him the next Gerd Muller.

4. marcellsas

marcellsas Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    How about Werner's comparation with other country's young strickers such as Kylian Mbappe, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Andre Silva, Gabjes, Gabigol, Icardi, Belotti, Dolsberg, Sandro Ramirez, etc ?

5. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yeah seems like those Real Madrid rumors I talked about in the 1st post of this page are back. With a Spanish news outlet Diario Gol, saying Zidane himself has told the board to keep an eye on Werner. Still the same story they want Werner to replace Morata if he leaves.

heck even if they don't go after Werner now, you still get the feeling that they'll go after him for real in the future, the more successful he is in the league and CL + next year's WC, the more likely he'll get offers all over Europe.

I think it would be too early for Werner to leave Germany, he needs more experience and needs to hone his skills.

7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well he's currently not a threat as Werner is the main starter for RB. Augustin is essentially taking Selke's place for now.

but as usual in football, if Werner were to lose form and the coach loses faith in him he could be replaced in the XI. But if he does play like at the CC and last season he shouldn't worry about his place.

let's not forget that RB are playing in 3 fronts, League, Cup and Europe. You need more fire power for that. They let Selke go to Hertha, they also let Nils Quaschner go to Bielefeld in 2nd division. Seems like they are also thinking of dumping Burke (who is pretty mediocre). While adding Augustin and others.

8. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Of that group Mbappe stands above the rest alongside Dybala, but Werner is right there with Belotti and Kane. Rashford could join that tier as well, but has more to prove so is still in tier 3 for me along with Andre Silva. Gabigol has bombed in italy. Icardi is a great player but an absolute nutter. Dolberg has the skills to join the Belotti / Werner / Kane tier behind Mbappe; and Gabriel Jesus is somewhere in those top two tiers depending on how he much he grows these next couple of seasons.

Hopefully Eggestein can stay fit and make the break through to join Werner in this tier of strikers.

If we expanded it to young attackers I'd put Dembele in the top tier, with Sane and Brandt in that second tier with Werner.

Good. Just like it's good news that he plays alongside Forsberg, Sabitzer, Burke, Poulsen, Bruma. Learning to combine with top players against more compact teams is the next step in his development that he needs to take to thrive in the CL and for the senior NT. So the more talent they keep around Werner the better for him.

Could make things trickier for the Abouchabaka, Kuhn, Kruger, Hartmann, etc. generations to break through without successful loan spells; but a lot can change before those kids need senior team PT.

Epitome990 repped this.
  9. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  10. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It will be good for Timo and the rest of that RB squad to learn how to deal with more cautious teams who won't give them as much space to run into. The kid has so much potential and is already so lethal on the break, and effective at pressing, that it's the one remaining hole he needs to master.

11. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    From the top players on that team, I would consider Keita and Forsberg who would be the ones who are likeliest and earliest to leave. RB Leipzig have stood firm that they won't sell Keita to Liverpool this summer. But he'll probably go for 70 Mio next year. Forsberg drew a lot of interest as well and should eventually go in the price range of about 30-40 Mio.

Leipzig are well stocked at the attacking positions with young talent. But I think Keita will definitely be the tougher player to replace in the long-term. The Laimer kid they brought in from their Salzburg cousins is promising but doesn't quite have the same ceiling.

Hopefully Klostermann is able to make strides this season now that he's healthy again and earn that starting Right-back spot. While Compper should be phased out by now. So they'll need someone play alongside Orban. They ideally need another quality CB as Upamecano is still very raw.

12. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  13. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  14. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  15. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't see how Rosebud can rate Mbappe and Dembele ahead of Werner and Sane.

16. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why is it so difficult to imagine? Werner & Sane are extraordinary talents; but those two frenchman are even younger and have been even more exceptional. Mbappe just put together an inhuman 18 yo campaign that I'm not sure we've ever seen before. His goals per minute rate in domestic competition & the CL is just unheard of. And Dembele produced danger at a simply staggering rate that Sane & Brandt just haven't been able to match.

[​IMG]

There's a reason that Barca and Real are already making offers of 90M for Dembele and 180M for Mbappe for these kids to come get major PT for them. Werner, Sane & Brandt is a World Cup winning front three, but the three of them are unlikely to win the BdO more than either of those young frenchman...that said if we fused nations I'd take that german trio ahead of any french attackers other Dembele & Mbappe.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  17. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think it's a bit early to jump immediately onto the Mbappe is going to be a star train. He could just as easily be a 1-hit wonder as a superstar at this point. His numbers in a clearly inferior league are worse than Werner's, but given his age I can see why it is exciting to project how good he can be if he develops.

On Brandt I agree, however I disagree on Sane. I see Sane as a bigger talent personally. That's just my take on the players. Dembele's biggest weakness is his attitude, but that hopefully will get better over time.

18. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #45 Rosebud, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Werner is 3 years older and just had his breakthrough. At Mbappe's age Werner was struggling to find any sort of effectiveness...nevermind tearing the CL up like Mbappe did; which is a higher level than we've seen from Werner yet. Mbappe has the talent, physical gifts and intelligence to win multiple Ballon d'Ors and surpass Henry; if he doesn't it'll be because of injuries or because he gets lazy, watching him this year made that painfully clear...and apparently the kid has a good head on his shoulders, which is why he is denying a record breaking move to his dream club to become his favorite player's understudy (Real & CR7 respectively).

What's your issue with Dembele's attitude? I can see concerns about his consistency, as there is with everyone that age; but he's an incredible talent who created more danger than Sane managed to do at a greater age. Sane & Brandt are amazing, but Dembele is even more amazing on the pitch. Kid has Brandt's creativity & nose for goal with Sane's dribbling & quickness.

If Ismael Sarr explodes as well, France could have three attackers that are all a little better than our best...although if Eggestein & Abouchabaka develop as hoped that could change things in the other direction.

I also wanna say that Ligue 1 gets under-rated often because of how much talent the league loses each season, the more physical style of play of many clubs, and because La Liga and the BuLi have stronger depth. But I watched a lot of Nice because of Favre and I have to say, the level of play in france is comparable to that in the EPL & Serie A now-a-days.

19. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Coefficient wise, the Ligue 1 are steadily on the rise among UEFA club competitions. PSG continue to be huge spenders, while Monaco should remain relatively strong despite selling several key players as they have a quality academy and recruitment system in place. Nice have their team in tact and should make another push among the top 3. Favre also helps them punch above their weight.

I'm interested in seeing how Lille's campaign will go. They've invested heavily in new additions for this ambitious project, having spent over 65 Mio already this summer. Bielsa is also new head coach in charge. Marseilles looks to have increased on spending too quite a bit.

20. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Sarr has played 6 matches for Senegal already n he is no longer eligible to play for France

21. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #48 Rosebud, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Nice look likely to lose Seri, but that could just mean a bigger opportunity for Koziello; whom I rate very highly...kinda like a french Amiri, but smaller and a little slicker. Not quite as slick as Dahoud, but like Cuisance he can reach the level of Rabiot. Cyprien will stay as will Walter; and the incoming 19 yo Makengo is said to be highly rated.

Lille are the other French team I really wanna watch next season. Bielsa is always fun and knowledgeable frenchies have nothing but praise for the sporting director there so I'm curious to see what Bielsa can do with the talent he should have to play with...and Thiago Maia is a kid I'm very excited to finally see in europe.

Lyon will be curious as well having gotten almost 100M for Lacazette & Tolisso. But they were such a tactical mess last season that they bored me.

Marseilles should be fun to watch just to see Sanson & Lopez operating together.

Sweet. France have a lot of talented attackers, but no one but Sarr had the talent of Mbappe & Dembele...maybe Harit, but he's more of a creative midfielder.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  22. Sifrit

Sifrit Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Werner was playing for a completely dysfunctional Stuttgart team that got relegated. Additionally, he was constantly played out of position. How good do you think Mbappé would have been in the same situation?

Anyway, Werner started scoring immediately after he got out of that crap club. Maybe he would have done that at age 18 too, if he could have played in a striking partnership with Falcao and top class midfielders serving him the ball. But he had to play as a winger for Stuttgart instead.

23. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That stuttgart wasn't significantly worse then the Rennes squad Dembele dominated for *shrug* True Mbappe has come through with a great young team, but he's still playing insane football at the highest levels at 18 with every tools you could ask for. It's like watching Henry on the pitch again. Maybe Werner could've done the same, though I doubt it, as Mbappe has been deadly for Monaco from the wing as well; while Werner visibly struggled and was far less consistent/more sloppy.

I don't think there's a huge gap, and Werner is right there in the next tier; but Mbappe & Dembele are just a step more impressive. We've still got the more impressive young midfielders and center backs. And between Neuer & ter Stegen we'll have the advantage in goal for some time to come.