Everton vs Villa - Match Thread

Discussion in 'Everton' started by sicurrie, Oct 18, 2014.

1. sicurrie

sicurrie Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Return of proper football brings us 1 of the oldest fixtures in English football against the Villa. Our injuries and inconsistencies continue to mount, our best defender this season, Stones, now out for 10 weeks and Distin struggling with injury could lead us to having to play the god awful Alcaraz (shudders!) alongside the guy I reckon is responsible for our defensive frailties, Jag.
    Barkley back in training but surely far to early for him to play today, let's hope Martinez has realised Lukaku is a striker or will he stupidly play him again on the wing.
    Howard, Hibbo, Jag, Alcaraz, Baines, Atsu, Barry, Mac, McGeady, Naismith, Lukaku. Both teams not firing on all cylinders, I can't see us keeping a clean sheet so go for 1-1

2. sicurrie

sicurrie Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Go figure, Lukaku plays in his natural position and he scores (albeit with massive help from Guzan), finally plays an creative mid in the attack mid role and we play a lot better. These are pretty basics that any 10yr old playing football manager for the 1st time would quickly grasp yet its taken our 'esteemed' manager 8 games to realise this. We were heavily aided by one of the worst Villa sides I can remember but that would be churlish of me to detract a much crisper performance helped by the return on Barkley who shown what we have missed, easily MoM for me. Some final points, Baines assist with his right? Doesn't happen often if ever. No McGreedy and we play a lot better..coincidence? No. What the ******** is going on with Distin, must be the longest dead leg in history of sport. Are Kone & Atsu on a deserted island somewhere holding hands? On to Lily on Thursday were am sure Martinez will have learned nothing from this and go back to his same stupid tactics he has employed recently

3. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    you really look at things from a negative point of view Si. it's not so much the facts but how you present them and then your predictions for coming games.

In terms of Jags, I honestly think that he's been caught out of position due to Distin's lagging. without Distin in, the defense is doing better. That's what I've seen.

I was very glad to see Barkley and Coleman back. two positives considering the negative from our last game :( losing stones.

4. sicurrie

sicurrie Member

Jun 28, 2014
    I see it from a realistic point of view. No point hiding truth or glossing over deficiencies. If people want to see that as negative its up to them, I won't change.
    I see it differently, for me Distin was covering Jags arse and has been made the scapegoat for our recent failings. The manager has 2 centre halves not capable of playing the way he wants them yet refuses to change the system accordingly