Everton vs Spurs, PL, December 23rd, 11 am ET

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Golara, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Spurs head to Merseyside for the first time this season as they take on the Toffees at Goodison Park. Everton have enjoyed a renaissance under new manager Marco Silva, who nabbed the talented Richarlisson from his old club Watford and has had the good sense to play Spurs old boy Gylfi Sigurdsson in his proper #10 position. Andre Gomes is a classy midfielder on loan from Barcelona who has been linked with Spurs in the past and Lucas Digne has fit in nicely at left fullback.

It should be a cracking game under the lights at Goodison as both managers like to play attacking football. No doubt Poch will rotate the side with a heavy dose of fixtures on the horizon.

2. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Lloris
    Trippier Sanchez Alderweireld Davies
    Winks
    Sissoko --- Eriksen
    Dele
    Kane --- Son
    Or it might be the 4 2 3 1, pretty fluid front 6.

Everton look a bit lightweight in the centre, Tom Davies alongside Andre Gomes. Both skilful but neither what you'd call an enforcer, they can be got at in a battle. Big game for Mousa then, he's the one player in either side who stands out physically.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could this be an indication of things to come?

Attached Files:

4. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That finish tho.

1-1.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the BBC match tracker:

"A guy in the main stand at Goodison is drowning out the commentary at times with his booing - sounds like a Scouse vuvuzela. He's not happy about the referee. At all."

lol

6. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    3 1 to the good guys at HT, the front 3 all on the scoresheet.

We look good. Very, very good.

7. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ... and the best player in the premier league makes it 4.

8. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ... and his former understudy makes it 4 2. Great game to watch.

9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I managed to miss the first 20 minutes and on tuning in saw we looked on the back foot, Everton providing excellent pressure. Goal within seconds of me coming to that recognition. I really think we were fortunate on the no-goal call. But, we've responded as champions since that moment. Quality play, taking advantage of errors, skill and rampant attitude. Disappointing to give up a genuinely well played second goal. Still, we look like proper champions. We need some January investment to add depth to the team, to not have a late swoon to exhaustion.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna have to find a full replay...this is amazing

11. El_Mittinho_ii

May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    We can do this. We can win this league.

12. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Total annihilation. Hope Dele is OK.

13. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This game was like when you arm wrestle your dad and he lets you win a bit in the beginning but then he crushes you soon after.

Everton thought they could compete with the big boys. Now they're not even in the top half of the table.

14. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I LOVE that prognosticators will make great ballyhoo about "Team in First on Xmas Day wins the League (except maybe Liverpool)." The pressure falls squarely on 'Pool to remove the monkey and Man City to show their early season invincibility. We can't fly entirely under the radar, of course. But, we are definitely the odd man out in the narratives. There's only so many minutes in each football TV show, only so many column inches that writers want to write, readers want to read. We will always be the last story included, first story the editor minimizes. Until we end up in first place (should we be so fortunate) the pressure should be reasonably mild.

soccernutter repped this.
  15. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I used to quite like Everton. Historic club, local owners, proper old stadium, not red. Then they came over for a friendly with the Union and I was exposed to the most shocking racist behavior from some of their fans and I realized I had romanticized them quite a bit.

Bloody hell, Spurs are good though, eh?

BalanceUT and soccernutter repped this.
  16. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Yeah, there's this narrative that Liverpool fans are the biggest ****s in the world, whilst Evertonians seem somehow exempt - even though they're basically cut from the same cultural cloth. I, too, have always tended to see Everton as a club that's easy to respect and appreciate, for pretty much the same reasons. I've only been to Goodison once, and I loved it.

But maybe if they'd been able to parade scouse culture around the big stages in Europe - as opposed to friendlies in Philly and Columbus (I saw them at Crew Stadium years ago) - they'd have the same reputation. Slightly ironic that Heysel kept them home, then, eh?

Hmmm … that's some fairly ungenerous stuff I've written, there. I probably shouldn't hit 'post reply'. On the other hand, putting it there will give the people of Merseyside the opportunity to disprove some unsavory stereotypes by not demanding a retraction, hounding me out of my job, or just tracking me down and giving me a good kicking.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Frankly, if we're to judge any club on their worst ambassadors, none will come off terribly good. I've definitely seen some behavior at Spurs that was embarrassing, to say the least.

So … so surmise: I love Goodison Park.

Phillyspur repped this.
  17. Golara

Golara Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Our movement off the ball was our best of the season so far, reminiscent of some of the football we played in the 16-17 season. Everton were without their midfield enforcer, Idrissa Gaye, and it showed as we were able to dominate the middle of the park. Why they played with such a high defensive line was beyond me but I'm not complaining. Unfortunately, the ref missed Pickford's shocking tackle on Dele, hopefully he will be ok for the upcoming fixtures.

Elsewhere, Kyle Walker had one of those days that he has never been able to shake out of his system, but maybe he still has a soft spot for his old team...

18. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wouldn't wanna be playing Everton today....

19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i wouldn't wanna be playing us today.

BalanceUT and Count Chocula repped this.