Everton vs Liverpool FC - EPL - Oct 17 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Oct 11, 2020.

1. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A bad tackle after the the game is stopped can give a red. It won't give a penalty but the offside does not make that less of a red card he went in a dangerous manner and was not even close to connecting with the ball.

zaqualung, delaynomo and SamScouse repped this.
  2. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. We’ve seen that same play called a goal multiple times.

B.A. repped this.
  3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the difference between a tackle and actual violent conduct. If he punched Virg in the face, for instance, he would have been sent off regardless of the offside.

4. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not according to what I've read about the VAR rules. Might be different if the ref saw it and initially gave the red, regardless of offside call.

5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neither offside calls, VVD or Mane, would have been called last season. All due to handball change.

6. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thiago is one hell of a player. He was a machine out there.

delaynomo, soccershaggy, B.A. and 2 others repped this.
  7. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    delaynomo repped this.
  8. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best passer in a Liverpool kit in a long time. Looked fantastic today.

9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Quite a few ex-players have weighed in, including Jenas and Fabregas. I'm watching the replay highlights and it doesn't look good on officiating, I'll admit.

10. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that's funny because I was reading Dale when he said the first thing, I didn't see the correction.

It's unfortunate, in the end it's the same as lot of these red/not red calls -- the ref didn't catch it initially.
    Could have gone the other way but we've seen these not be called and stand a lot since VAR has come in.
    Glad there at least was no hesitation for that horrendous Richarlison tackle.

11. Lemmyfaith

Lemmyfaith Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He could be injured as well, from that tackle and could be out for a while.

12. hubbabubba

hubbabubba Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s pretty clear Evertons strategy for this game was to take VvD out of the game and then take advantage of of the reduced aerial defense on set plays. And I’m only half kidding about that.

B.A. and newterp repped this.
  13. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hope Klopp tells the players to dust themselves up and go again next match. Can't have people feeling outraged at poor officiating at this early stage of the season.

B.A. repped this.
  14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They fouled non-stop. They really aren't that much better than before. I agree with Redbird and Hobo that we needed to finish off the game - but they had two "real" chance - shame that they scored both.

Adrian isn't to blame for the second one - you could ask him to have stronger hands on the first one though in real time I'm sure that's a hell of a lot harder than it looks.

15. ewibe

ewibe Member+

Jun 4, 2015
    Stavanger
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Can't blame Adrian for the goals our defending was suspect and if he'd raised his hands slightly faster on the first it 8have been a good save

16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's been a recurring theme, though, hasn't it? Against Leeds, Arsenal *even) and particularly against Villa. It has to be worked on collectively.

B.A. repped this.
  17. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Losing two players to injury is unlucky. However, this had nothing to do with luck. We lost two players because of red card offenses. What a disgrace. If the referee and the VAR official did their job, it would have been game over after the Pickford tackle.

It was a great performance from the Reds. We won the game in stoppage, and it was inexplicably taken away from us. What an infuriating match.

Liverpool are the best team in the Premier League. I have no doubt about that. It is a bit concerning that we may be without 3 of our most important players. Especially with the amount of games that are coming up.

Klopp is going to have to tell Fabinho that he is a centerback now. Fab, Matip, and Gomez will need to rotate at the back. It won't help that we are also short in midfield if Thiago is injured.

newterp repped this.
  18. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why can't we just use the rule I suggested last season? If you have to get the digital rulers out, it's not offside. No one in sane mind can look at that still frame of Mane and say he's offside. No one.

zaqualung, newterp, delaynomo and 2 others repped this.
  19. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

It’s about time someone asked the third question. If you are going to try to be this precise drawing ridiculous lines on the screen, how do we even know they paused the screen at the exact moment the ball was played?

20. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    When its nanometers deciding an offside,the benefit HAS to go to the Attacker if the Game is built on who outscores the other.

I think its very clear,The VAR Team on the day calls those close decisions with their individual bias.I'm not talking about the stone cold decisions.Im talking about the head scratchers like today.Someone on that panel is not particularly fond of Liverpool - GOAL CHALKED OFF.

At this point its getting Silly.

delaynomo and soccershaggy repped this.
  21. Style

Style Member+

May 8, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Reports that VVD is out for 8 months.

ACL injury.

22. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And there’s the season ending injury.

23. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    Foolish to not buy that Fourth CB.

And I'm Not being revisionist now.was clammering forever after what happened with Laporte & City.

B.A. repped this.
  24. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +++++

25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm so fukking furious I probably shouldn't be posting right now, or reading the VAR-can-do-no-wrong crowd's usual garbage. we are now officially in the neutron-microscope-measurements offside era.

there is zero doubt in my mind that if Adrian had thrown himself into Calvert-Lewin the way Pickford did he would have been sent off, and the goal Hendo scored would have been given if it was for Everton.

the whole thing is a frigging disgrace.

soccershaggy repped this.