Everton vs Liverpool FC - EPL - Oct 17 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Oct 11, 2020.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    but that doesn't jibe with now allowing the top of the arm to score??

2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would not have been flagged even last season, with VAR. It's not much of a comfort considering the injury, but it would have at least resulted in a pen and a red if he were just a couple centimeters further back. They would have at least taken all 3 points, if that happens up 1-0 in the 8th minute or whatever it was.

3. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    AHAHA...literally laughing out loud at that one, 247 :ROFLMAO::laugh::D!!!

4. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Don’t see anything you’ve listed as a benefit.

5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fine. Agree to disagree.

6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You are gonna sure enjoy this .... Is your real name Job, by any chance ....
    enjoy....

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Agreed.
    (Jeez, that 's no tbad - Sam and I have agreed 7 times in 21 years! And I was actually wrong about two of those! ;)

Serious point is though - handball is (in soccer) logically defined as not using your arm. Not not using your hand.
    Facts: Your hand ends at your wrist..... Your arm ends along the beginning of the upright plane where the shoulder fits in the socket ...

If clowns at FiFa want to call the neck or the torso or the penis or the toenail a part of the arm, or the outside of the top of the shoulder not part of it, it should be pointed out to them, over and over, that they are bloody idiots. My shoulder is as much part of my arm as my forcep. End of ....

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's possible, but have you also considered that most of them can;t even aim at the goal half the time. ;)

Btw / I've see Roberto Baggio pull that off. Flicked the ball up into the defender's dangling hand..... it was pretty clever actually .... not too many could pull that off

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I personally think handball should be handball, and allow the ref a discretion to say that an external factor,such as not being able to get out of the way, falling over, blindsided, etc etc is why he is not giving a penalty. In such cases, I think an indirect free-kick in the box would be fun to introduce....
    We hardly ever see those anymore.... I scored from one once in the SF Majors toe blasting the ball after as quick a 3 or 4 step acceleration as I could generate ...

10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

Apparently the time-honoured two person kick off in the centre circle is also something of a good idea.
    In the same way as if you were hungry you could chew some kind of sustenance out of boot leather....

The answer here i ssimple: PRATTS,in action, as Del-Boy would say ...

11. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    That’s been happening long before var and the “new” rules/laws.

12. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm not trying to argue. Just saying there is usually an expressed or obvious reason for a rule change. In this case I just don't see any. I see the reasons you gave more like "potential justifications" which doesn't feel the same.

13. RobR

RobR Member

Liverpool FC
    Sep 9, 2020
    New York City
    Are Premier League teams at a disadvantage because of our super-double-secret-probation version of the rules? I'm reminded of our CL Final against Tottenham where Sissoko gave away a goal on a handball call prompted by a perfectly innocent pointing at the sky/nazi salute while defending in the box (/S). He seemed surprised at the call.

14. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And I'm sure you'll still find plenty of Spuds fans upset about the call. It's like, what did you expect when you held your arm out so high in the box?

15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you were asking me.

I assume the reason is to take away (or perhaps limit) subjectivity re: the handball laws. We know it's not some pivot to the attacking handball, which was taking away goals which bounced off players' shoulders, because this change was in the works before that was in, and thus before anyone was reacting it... so it was all one big/planned rollout, on some level.

16. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, for sure. Everyone else has been getting used to these rules enforced with this level of strictness for, what, 2 years now?

17. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think the PL is at a disadvantage because of the inconsistency of the rules - especially the VAR rules...they can't seem to get it right...or consistent...

That being said, I really don't watch much of the other leagues...so I can't speak to them...

18. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Graeme Souness nailed it talking to Jamie Carragher about this. Refs seem afraid to upset their colleagues, and thus we have a haphazard psychological thinking permeating the decision making. The kind of thing that was exemplified in the Palace v Everton game where they were obviusly more second guessing their earlier game decisions when not giving the much clearer penalty to Crystal Palace when (Calvin, I think) handled the ball on a shot at goal.

Carra suggested having retired refs man the VAR, which might help. Older, wiser heads, etc.

also, noted a mistype in one of my posts above - too late to edit it - So, to clarify - in case anyone cares!

Still haven't heard any rationale for why that (upper arm) change was a good idea???

Apparently the time-honoured two person kick off in the centre circle is/was also not something of a good idea.
    In the same way as if you were hungry you could chew some kind of sustenance out of boot leather....

The answer here is (s)simple: PRATTS,in action, as Del-Boy would say ...

19. speker

speker Member+

May 16, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Paul Joyce calls out Ancelotti

1319648554877653003 is not a valid tweet id

burning247 repped this.