Everton v Tottenham 30/1 pre/post game match thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by chanman83, Jan 28, 2008.

1. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Vaughn for Anichibe

2. chanman83

chanman83 Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sub for Everton

Anichebe out and Vaughan in

3. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This has become a Jol like game where we are packing it in for a result. Such a pathetic performance by manager and players

4. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    tighter than a tight thing called tighty mctight?!?!?!

5. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    14 minutes to go and we are losing possession and have given up 11 shots to our pathetic 3......i am disgusted

6. chanman83

chanman83 Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 mins and stoppage time left still 0-0
    *nervous*

7. chanman83

chanman83 Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 mins added on time.

8. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What the hell is going on with this ref

9. chanman83

chanman83 Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, game over 0-0 draw. A nice result from the crap performance from us. Now who do we got next? OH goodie. MAN U at home.

10. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I called it :). A good point away from home.

11. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We only played for the last 10 minutes

Ref was shocking for both sides
    Juande didn't seem like he game two shits about winning
    Midfield pairing of Steed and Jenas was awful

12. chanman83

chanman83 Member

Sep 25, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the game Tivo'ing right now and I can't wait to watch it with a bucket so I can puke at our performance. Atleast we didn't lose and hey a clean sheet is nice. Granted I did ask for a Draw but ofcourse we would love a win. Anyway I hope Ramos doesn't use Hudds again at CB for man u or we could be in for a long ass day.

13. mattie g

mattie g Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Northern VA
    Just got a quick internet connection and say the result through this thread - my heart is actually pounding having read it! Thanks, chan and cd!

Despite the fact that we sounded crap, 0-0 is a hell of a result at Everton. And given that we just played on Sunday - following the big game against Ar5ena1 - it's no surprise we had a letdown. But the fact that we were able to grind out a result in spite of all this is a good sign. And to keep a clean sheet in Woodgate's first start is a very positive sign, as well.

I honestly think we can get a result against ManU at home this weekend. It'g going to be tough, but I think Ramos has some matchups up his sleeve and we're going to come out flying.

14. jrob_blue

jrob_blue Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Tennessee
    Remember when we were being linked with Andy Johnson? Man, I am glad that did not happen.

15. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The one plus is that Woody slotted into the side nicely for his first game.

That and we are starting to accumulate clean sheets. We do that against United and it will be quite impressive.

However if we play with a lack of passion like we did today and last year's 4-0 thumping is going to look like a good result.

16. N-I-C-H-O

N-I-C-H-O New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have seen Woodgate played well and so did Lennon and Gunter but other than that it was a lack luster effort. As for the penelty claim Johnson dove there was no contact that I saw.

17. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: Figures.

18. Mr Tips

Mr Tips Member

May 10, 2006
    Philadelphia; 138
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Well, I guess Ramos got what he wanted: a point away with a (needlessly?) weird makeshift side. When people make fun of football, this is the type of game they're talking about. Here are the highlights:

Anyway......yeah, Woodgate slotted in well, Chimbonda was awful, Hudds should not really be playing central defense (I guess Rocha and Kaboul shouldn't be either?), and Gunter was ok on the left. Midfield was terrible, sans O'Hara (average). Berba and Keane looked lost. Fortunately Everton were useless as well, hence the final scoreline by two sides that couldn't be bothered. If you haven't watched it yet, then you shouldn't be bothered either.

Wait, did Gus just call this a "crappy game"?

19. Hauler

Hauler Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jan 20, 2007
    Culver City, LA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woodgate thank god your here. Played excellent and won all the headers. It is quite shocking how Hudds goes back as a center back and plays better then Dawson. I thought Chimbonda and Berbs and Keane could have done a bit more but all in all it was a good scrappy game.

I love Ramos for playing all the youth and getting them time. I thought Jol should be doing that but he never did so I applaud Ramos for that. Woodgate and King is going to be a great pairing at the back and it looks like Pascal could be gone in the summer hasn't been playing all that great anyway. I was quite shocked why we didn't put Defoe on for Keane.

Also Gunter did well too for his league debut can't wait to see Hutton. O'hara had a solid performance Jenas did better toward the end of the game and Lennon was solid just needs to start sending the ball into the box off the left foot a bit more. Steed was good just didn't like how he acted a little bit to much on that tackle that he received in the box.... Stay up steed, stay up.

20. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I've only had a chance to watch the bulk of the first half thus far (gonna tivo the replay later tonight).

Wow, Woodgate is phenomenal, really coordinating the back line, covering for our mistakes left and right, we'd have allowed 3 in the first half without him sweeping up. He's already organizing our set pieces--I love it! If he can stay healthy, this will be the most important acquisition we've made since Berbatov, he's that much of a difference maker. :)

Huddlestone, man oh man does that kid give me a heart attack as a center back. He's beaten almost all the time, sometimes recovering, sometimes being bailed out by Woodgate, Gunter, O'Hara, Jenas, etc., and most often getting plain lucky as Everton just aren't very productive today. IMHO, that was definitely a borderline call with Johnson--Hudds did clip his back heel with his knee, but luckily Johnson made a meal out of it and his previous diving exploits prevented him getting the call. Hudds was most fortunate there. In sum, Hudds cannot play central defense, he's just too immobile to do it.

Gunter needs to find a left foot. All in all I know he's young, but he hasn't really shown much with the ball, and he's definitely strongest in defense rather than midfield.

Keane and Berbs are class. Jenas was really needed today, as it almost looked like Woodgate had to stop everything that got by everyone else on our team except Jenas. Chimbonda ws spotty, but far better than Huddlestone or Gunter IMHO.

Keeping a clean sheet at Everton--even with their short squad--is a big accomplishment for us. I'd call Woodgate's debut fantastic. Now, let's just hope Ramos's miracle-physio can keep him healthy.

-Digital

21. AudereEstFacere

Aug 11, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can someone please post our lineup for the start of the match (showing where everyone was on the pitch) and after Boateng came on, I really just can't picture it very well at all.

22. cdmphy

cdmphy Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Natick, MA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Chimbo - Woody - Hudd - Gunter
    Lennon - JJ - Steed - O'Hara

When KPB came on Steed slotted over to O'Hara's LM position and O'Hara became the LB.

23. vasilli07

vasilli07 Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Can anyone tell me if king is out again? :( Or is he resting for the man u game this saturday?

24. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A good result away from home and thats the first time in 64 matches we've been involved in a 0-0 draw :p

Cerny had a good match from the highlights I say and a very good start for Woodgate too.

25. thfcnyc

thfcnyc Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Noo Yawk Siddy
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both teams performed poorly. No creativity or inspiration from anybody on the pitch really, with the exception of Berbs. Woodgate was very impressive, but he picked up a yellow card on a silly foul.

I'll give us the benefit of the doubt though, bc we had a couple young inexperienced guys out there today. And looking on the bright side, we kept a clean sheet without King playing, on the road against a very good side. Now it's onto Utd again at WHL.

I have a question: The commentator on FSC mentioned Spurs had already gotten a UEFA Cup spot for next season by virtue of our CC final appearance vs Chelsea. Is this correct or was he delusional? I thought only the FA Cup finalist gets a European spot if their opponent has already qualified for Europe?

If it's true it's great news!