Everton v Chelsea, Sat 11 Feb [R]

Discussion in 'Everton' started by MrPerfectNot, Feb 8, 2012.

1. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to this - breakfast at the Three Lions (one of Denver's imitation pubs) while watching - 8am in Denver on FoxSoccer.

Couple of articles from the Everton site:
    Donovan (surprise) wants to beat Chelsea similar to 2 yrs ago - who takes Saha's place in scoring 2?
    http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2012/02/08/donovan-eyes-chelsea-scalp

Heitinga commenting on the match:
    http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/2012/02/08/heitinga-blues-up-for-chelsea

It'd be nice to see Donovan get a goal or two - after this he has only the FA cup tie against Blackpool on the 18th before his scheduled return to LAG.

But more importantly, I want to see the Blues come out on top on this - we need the pts and it's always fun to poke a stick in the eye of Chelski....

2. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    City was pretty flat the entire game and didn't seem to work as hard as usual.

I suspect it was mostly just an off-game on City's part -- something that even the best teams have occasionally.

But if Manchester City played poorly because they underestimated the Toffees, I'm not sure what exactly Mancini could have done to prevent the underestimation.

4. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Ashley Cole - Donovan

Donovan by a knockout

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton 2-0 Chelsea!

Looks like Man City wasn't the only "big" club to underestimate the Toffees. :D

6. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back to a computer -

Nice win all around - I'm thinking that AVB won't last the season for Chelsea.

Loved the hustle and effort - Straq, Pienaar, Fella - all around

What a nice start to the day - now for some coffee 'cuz I did happen to have a bloody mary while watching the match....

COYB!

7. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Neville got the knockout this time around.

8. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed - it was a hard challenge, but fair.

9. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW - not impressed with Drenthe - lots of energy, not so good on the whole touch and judgement thing...

10. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree Drenthe hasn't played that well the last few games.

But I think my man will get his form back soon enough.

11. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta say I've missed peanut. It's amazing what he can do for us. I'm surprised he's not rated more highly.

12. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the thing I think with SP is that it really is who is around him. He and Baines connect, but put him in midfield (dif role) he just doesn't do anything there IMO. I said it before when he left, that he'd miss Baines, and I think I was right.

Then again, I think Baines missed SP as well... You have to have that connection with the person in front of you/behind you and they just get each other.

Glad he's back, anyway :)

13. ark215

ark215 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    America
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were many instances where Peanut really influenced the game w/o Baines' overlap. We haven't had anyone who could really drive at opposing defenders, minus R.R. Drenthe except Drenthe would lose the ball way too often.

14. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not saying he doesn't have skill, but I do think his excellence/shine comes when he's playing with the right people. I don't think he is only good when passing to/from baines, but having LB there allows him to go forward and not worry as much about behind him. takes the pressure off or something, knowing that LB is there and will always be an option if he needs it/gets into trouble/whatever.

The same way jags/lescott made an awesome team. I don't think jags has really meshed with anyone as well as he did with lescott. He's still a very good defender

I think Distin is great, but I think that he's just great at being great regardless of who he's with. He's held his spot down while a multitude of other people have played beside him (jags, JH, p nev, and i think hibbo and duffy?)

~shrug~ I'm very happy peanut is back :) I love watching him fly down the wing. (not so much when he's at center mid, but good enough) and I'm also going to break out my stevie p imitation again as I'm going to start jogging again and it makes me laugh when I get really tired/want to stop: I run with my fingers pointed just like SP :D then it makes me keep running. whatever works, right?

COYB