PBP: Everton FC vs Arsenal FC (7/4/19)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunnerJacket, Apr 4, 2019.

1. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad to see Ramsey come thru 45mins without an injury. Iwobi came on and looked dangerous every time he possessed the ball. I just wish he'd start improving at actually BEING dangerous. And Leno also played well.

That is all the positivity I can muster.

2. banco

banco Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Playing Elneny for any reason is a firable offence

Super Llama repped this.
  3. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not try AMN in the center? Of course, that leaves Jenks or Licht at RB, but that's better than Elneny in the middle no?

4. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go back to my comment before the game. Why not Suarez?

He's been here 2 solid months now. If he can't do better than Elneny, he needs to go back to Barca.

Shen-O repped this.
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Suarez was bought as a winger, wide AM?

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    7 shots taken, 23(?) shots surrendered. You won't win many games with those stats. Arsenal has to play to their strengths in better fashion and get their strikers touches on the ball in the offensive third. Giving up 1 goal on the road isn't bad, especially against a top 10 side, but they had to know going in that they'd need 1-2 goals to win. Fail to change and it would not be unheard of to see Arsenal drop points in all four remaining road games.

Which suggests arguably the shortest path to CL play is to win the Europa League. Yay.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if you've had a chance to watch the 2nd half, but we were quite a bit better after the 3 subs came on. All 3 were very lively, something we'd been lacking. And maybe Everton were also starting to wear down after their relentless pressing/challenges.

I think we really missed Torreira, Xhaka & Ramsey (until he finally came on and looked fit too), and also Kos. And he better damn well be fit for next weekend, because Sokratis is reportedly now banned for 2 games... what a foolish painful booking that's going to turn out to be.

And Torreira better damn well come back, playing at the peak of his game, firing on all cylinders.

If Ramsey had been able to go 90 without too much risk, he probably should've pushed Ozil out of the XI. The whole Mesut problem re-surfaced today, i.e. he's only good for certain games but not all games. That was one of the many bummers about today.

Lastly it does seem that we should try to play Laca + Auba together up front more, but if Robbie Mustoe is correct, it depends on us having a really good back 4 rather than a 3. And with Kos struggling to get over his injury and Sokratis now banned, how the hell are we going to have a solid enough back 4 anytime soon?

8. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Pedestrian, regardless of the tactics or team selection the lads weren't up for it. That's the bear minimum, and once Everton could tell we weren't up for the fight they won every 50/50 and some 70/30s.

I wish Iwobi would make the direction of his runs more aggressive, but the lads a CM doing a job.

Shen-O repped this.
  9. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He's not playing for the same reason he didn't play at Barca--he's not good.

A pretty consistent theme in Emery's tactical choices seems to be that they telegraph a lack of confidence in his players to his players, which spooks everyone. Seemed to happen a lot at PSG. Just overly analyzed and plodding lineups. Shit is wack

10. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think it requires a back 4. We have played quite well in a 3-4-1-2 this season. Bottom line is that our offense is significantly better (regardless of who is in MF) when PAE & Laca play as a 2 ST pairing. With the player's we had available this game, we really should have been in a 4-3-1-2 or 4-4-2 diamond. Start ElNeny or Duzy at the 6, 2 of Iwobi/Miki/Suarez/Ramsey at the wide 8 and Ozil at 10.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't we basically do that in 2T after the substitutions?