Everton 2013/14 Campaign - it starts again [R]

Discussion in 'Everton' started by MrPerfectNot, Aug 12, 2013.

1. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, after hearing all the crickets in this forum over the summer, here we go:

Sat, 8/15/13 (15:00 local time, 11:00 EDT) - away to Norwich

Gibson is listed as out due to injury, Fella should be in - thoughts on the match? I'll play optimist and say Blues win 2-1, goals from Mirallas and Fellaini.

2. Footy Magoo

Footy Magoo Audaces fortuna iuvat

Mar 23, 2009
    ♫ Flugelville
    10:00 AM eastern. I don't know if this group of players will ever be successful with Martinez passing game.

3. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah - thanks for the correction. 10am Eastern it is - 8am here in Denver, just right for breakfast.

It is a different game that Martinez wants to play - it's interesting watching the Blues go through this from a Scottish manager and his style to a Spaniard and his. My local rooting interest, the Colorado Rapids, have been working through a similar transition - from Gary Smith to Oscar Pareja - it's taking some time and some significant personnel changes to start to bring it to fruition. How long will it take with Everton?

4. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched the match while working yesterday - great blast of a goal from Barkley and nice clean-up by Coleman - fun stretches of possession by the Blues - sorry to see the 2nd goal by Norwich, at the same time, it was a nice header that Tim Howard had no real chance to get - though, it seemed no one was challenging for the ball......

5. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not happy with Martinez' formation. he's pushing our once solid defense into a different formation, wanting attack and it's leaving holes. I raised that point after the first ICC match, and it's held true over the rest of preseason and now this game. I don't get why, when something works, you change it just because you want something different up top. he has 6 other players to meddle with, he should have our defense playing the same game they played two seasons ago.

Also, we need gibbo back. He is just solid in that DM position and we look a different side with him there (IMO).

It's gonna be a long season if Martinez doesn't sort this shit out on defense real fast. we have 3 internationals and one former international playing, plus an int'l goalie. we should have a rock solid impenetrable defense and so far we haven't. Not. Acceptable.

That's my whiney arm-chair-opinion :p

6. LG David

LG David Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Everton FC
    My worry with the defence is that we seem to be playing 10 yards further up the field than usual and I don't think we're able to do it yet. We're vulnerable to balls over the top and with the full-backs pushed high and Jagielka lacking pace, there's only really Distin able to deal with it.

We played well against Norwich without ever doing much. They done well restricting us to shots from range.

We need new additions to the squad but so far I've been completely underwhelmed by Roberto's.

7. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    me too. I haven't seen anything that we didn't already have. :/ here's hoping he was keeping them "hidden" or whatever and unleashes their true potential in the season.

8. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jags said after the match today it was basically the same team as last year - and that's true. At the same time, they dominated possession and momentum (but for about 15 mins from 60" to 75"), had the chances, hit the woodwork, etc. Unfortunately, WBA's replacement keeper was up to the task. Some nice passing, some nice combinations - a few burbles in defense forcing Tim Howard to make strong saves.

Should have had 3 pts.

9. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is up with Martinez and his game management?

When you're playing at home and the score is 0-0 late in the game, shouldn't you make some aggressive moves and push hard for the win? Especially when you're playing West Brom -- a club that hasn't earned a point at Goodison in over 30 years?

I don't fault Martinez fielding a 4-5-1 to start out the game. But when your team has looked pretty anemic through the first 70 minutes, why on earth don't you bring on a 2nd striker to hopefully give your team a bit more punch? Or at least have Fellaini push up from d-mid to attacking mid?

And why oh why do you leave one substitution unused?

Aaarrrggghhh. :mad:

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  10. screamingfields

Nov 30, 2012
    Man City vs Everton. Tough game for both sides, fullbacks matter here as well as the midfield. Negredo for City will be important, for Everton its Lukaku.

11. screamingfields

Nov 30, 2012
    Man City winning 2-1 against Everton. City weren't dominate off the ball but looked better in attack, they haven't controlled the game but they are leading at half time. Everton have looked sharper and quicker to every ball but still lack a distinct defensive mindset against defending Aguero and Negredo. Silva has been threading balls through all day, while Coleman and Lukaku have looked outstanding for Everton. Everton are always looking to counterattack whenever City flood forward to attack themselves. They will be disappointed here with conceding two goals.

12. screamingfields

Nov 30, 2012
    Everton lose 3-1 to City. They didn't defend as well and far too many players were behind the ball. Everton weren't as sharp or quick, they were too single minded in attack and defense. It did seem though City are missing Kompany even when they won. Negredo and Silva were on top for City. They couldn't have done more. Everton didn't try in the second half, lacked what City had, which was attacking play. Everton's best player was Coleman and Lukaku, who didn't do as much in the second half.

13. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although City badly outplayed Everton in the 2nd half, I thought that penalty on Coleman was very very weak. And Silva definitely should have received a yellow for a cynical foul in the first half.

It's virtually impossible get a point on the road when they have such world class players AND get so much help from the referee.

14. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I am not worried about this loss on the road.

I hate dropping points but i would rather it be vs Man C than someone below us.

Win the games against the teams below and win the league.

15. spider_kin

spider_kin Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 8, 1999
    Iowa
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, before the game I'd have been happy with a point. Can't really be too upset to lose on the road to a team who has bought mucho talent. For me, how we rebound from this will be more telling. Hull city is next in about two weeks

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton has a tough week with trips to Manchester United and Arsenal. After that the schedule gets easier with games against Fulham, Swansea City, and Sunderland of which Fulham and Sunderland are currently in the relegation zone.

17. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Need at least 3 from those two games really. Preferably Arsenal since they are ahead of us

18. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Everton win at Old Trafford. Unlike Moyes' squads, Martinez has Everton play to win whether at home or away.

And with the way Lukaku's been playing, I have a feeling we'll score at least 2 goals today. The question is whether the defense can stop Man United from scoring. Which I think we can, unless the referee gifts Man U. a penalty or two.

19. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how nice it was - I got to watch the 2nd half on TV - wow! 3 points are marvelous - and from ManU away is even better.

20. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh man, that result @ Old Trafford really put a smile on my face, especially since I cannot stand Moyes.

0-16-27 @ the big 4 in the league with Moyes, 1-0-0 so far without him, haha!

21. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And tomorrow (Sunday), we travel to the Emirates. COYB!!

22. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everton are up to fourth after they beat Southampton 2-1.

24. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was great to see Lukaku break his mini scoring slump. And Coleman's score was definitely Goal of the Week material.

Can't wait for Deulofeu to get back into the lineup. He and Barkley are my favorites, with the new-and-improved Coleman a close third.

25. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on this. Also, we'll have Barry & Howard back, though Jagielka is out for a bit. The next few weeks provide some good matches for the Blues - these are matches that Everton "should" win, which would keep them nicely in the hunt for a top-4 finish......