Ever heard of "America Scores"?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by UWHusky, Nov 9, 2003.

1. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Through UW's Pipeline Project, which hooks up undergrads with educational and service opportunities with area youth, I was fortunate enough to get involved with this program.

The mission of America Scores is "to strengthen urban public school children and communities through soccer, literacy and community service."

I think it's just the coolest thing in the world.

This quarter I've been working with the boys team at a local elementary school. Twice a week the kids practice soccer, and on Fridays they play against other area schools. The other two days they write poetry about their experiences on the field or about anything they want.

Not only does this program provide these kids with a safe place to be in the afternoon, it gets them excited about participating in sports and in writing. Whoever started America Scores is a genius. :)

Here in Seattle, we currently have 8 teams in the Highline School District, 6 teams in the Tukwila School District, and 2 teams in the Seattle School District. Before Seattle Scores started this spring, many of these schools had 0 after-school opportunities.

This program costs about $1000 a year per student, but thanks to sponsors such as Adidas, USSF, the Starbucks Foundation, and many more the students don't have to pay a dime. The kids get shinguards, soccer socks, jerseys and shorts. They get coaches who direct and team them, and they get a chance to express themselves through writing.

If you've never heard of it before, check it out (at www.americascores.org)! It's awesome. If you have heard of it, what has been your involvement with America Scores?

2. rchgrca

rchgrca New Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Fremont, CA
    thank you SO much for posting this. I want to go and volunteer (I got teary eyed reading about what this program does).

3. nurspec

nurspec Member

Sep 26, 2003
    new york
    By chance my family happened upon one of their practice sessions on the way home one Summer.I will say it was the best Soccer experience my son has ever had.They were just starting out and had a lot of kids wanting to play the gam.My son was already in two leagues,so he could only sign up for the Summer with AS,but what a delight it was.He got to meet teh Man U team on the tour,had practice sessions with some of the team members and saw the his first Soccer game with his father Man U v Juventus.It was an experience we will awlays remember,and i think we will always be indebt to them.
    Thank you America Scores.