Even more . . . Stuff from other MLS Teams

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Mar 30, 2014.

1. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That hire is a lot like RSL hiring Pablo. I'm pretty sure Nagamura was on SKC during the heated rivalry between Houston and SKC. He probably wasn't villain #1, but no fan wants to hire their rival's players to their coaching staff.

2. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    I don't know if you are aware of the open war that has been declared in Portland between the FO and supporters groups. If you aren't I think it's important/interesting to get up to speed.

The Portland Thorns had a coach in 2014 and 2015, Paul RIley, who had several sexual assault claims made against him from players. Eventually the Thorns released him, although at the time it seemed that was mainly for on-field performance. He went on to coach in a similar role with the NC Courage, where he remained until last year when these allegations finally saw the light of day despite numerous complaints filed over the years. At some point USSF launched an investigation - I'm actually not sure where that stands. Paulson gave a press release that seemed appropriate given the circumstance about not allowing a culture of silence, etc. It later came out that the FO knew about the allegations back in 2015. And the details about an investigation seem to be shrouded in mystery.

Once this came to light, and it became clear that the Timbers/Thorns organization did not properly respond to the allegations, the Timbers/Thorns supporters decided to take action. They began a boycott of concessions at that point. As a result, the Timbers who historically have had a monthly meeting with a nonprofit board called the 107ist, temporarily eliminated those meetings. Now they've come out with a letter that they are permanently ending those meetings, effectively cutting off dialog with the supporters groups because of their protest of handling the Riley situation.

To me, it's a reprehensible, and also not a very smart move, on the part of the Timbers FO. The Timbers Army is the crown jewel across the league for supporters groups and a huge asset to the club. IMO, the Timbers are royally screwing this situation up.

Thoughts?

15 to 32 and DrownedElf repped this.
  4. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty messed up. To come out saying you don't support a culture of silence, and then to find out they've been silent all this time. To cancel those meetings on top of it is tone deaf. If anything, they should've been doing more to try and make things right.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have a subscription to The Athletic and haven't read the article yet, you need to. If you don't have a subscription, signup for a free offer and read it. It's truly a moving piece. It'll make you mad and it'll make you realize what the Timbers Army are so upset about.

I don't understand why the club is doubling down on their obvious mistakes from before.

My thoughts are that the in-stadium protests (i.e. not purchasing any concessions) were just the beginning. We may see the TA empty and/or completely quiet. In fact, I'd think the first national brodcast game for them would be the perfect time to do so.

6. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't the TA do a game of silence in the past? I remember Merritt going off on them for something similar.

15 to 32 and kirsoccer repped this.
  7. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Yes, although it was for a different issue. Can't remember what exactly. It was a nationally televised game against the Sounders, and they were silent.

15 to 32 and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Portland, they sure are sending off Diego Valeri rightly as befits the best player in team history and his overall contributions to the ethos of the club. Unlike DLH and Javier. That galls. Portland already secured Valeri as a team ambassador even if he lives in Argentina the rest of his life.

RSLer and rslfanboy repped this.
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention that Santi - Javi's kid - was an absolute dynamite youth player. Believe he is in the Miami setup now. So it'll cost the club for years to come

RSLer and Med_Phys repped this.
  10. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    He was recently called into USYNT U-15 camp, and he's tiny.

RSLer repped this.
  11. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    15 to 32 and RSLer repped this.
  13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giorgio Chiellini isn’t “some” Italian defender. If he’s still serious about playing quality soccer he will immediately be the best defender in the league.

14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s something to this. While HQ definitely helps out the NY and LA organizations, the fact is that stars like Chicharito, Vela, Chiellini and Bale are only interested in those markets and sometimes outliers like Orlando and Miami. It’s been that way since I started watching MLS.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    …. That’s the joke

RSLer repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you understate Miami here - that will be the destination once they iron out the stadium situation. It’s where a ton of the euro based guys vacation for a reason

RSLer repped this.
  17. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the stadium thing happens I’ll be with you on this. In the meantime, I’m not holding my breath on this happening soon.

18. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAFC waived Doneil Henry. I was hoping RSL would sign him when he was here in the offseason, but now they probably don't need him. I don't know how the waiver process impacts the salary budget, but it looks like teams can just waive players at this point.
    So, who goes if/when RSL makes more signings in the window that opens on Thursday?

19. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    Ochoa and Schmitt? Also while looking at our roster I saw the name B. Hildago. After looking at his profile it turned out to be Bode Davis. What's going on there?

20. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Took the last name of his step dad if I remember correctly.

RSLer repped this.
  21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to give Fall credit on Henry. Given his inability to even make appearances at LAFC it looks like RSL (whether on purpose or not) dodged a bullet there.

As for the roster, I have no clue how RSL is currently roster compliant, so guessing on how they'll make (more) space feels a waste of time.... but that won't stop me!

Gotta waive Ochoa. I don't care how bad that looks, the guy wants NOTHING to do with RSL. Cut him. Move on.

Kreilach has to be eligible for the season long injury thing, right? The question is if the club is honest with themselves to do that. The talk of "oh he might be able to play by late September" seems extremely hopeful.

I think the league site hints at what players are moving off the RSL roster and to the Monarchs MLS Next roster, at least in terms of this discussion. Beavers, Dewsnup, Farnsworth, and Wellings are all listed in the top "roster", lacking any roster categorization, and then aren't designated a spot in the senior or supplemental categories below.

Strangely, Loeffelsend also only shows up in the top half of the roster with the status of "signed". WTF does that mean?

22. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now Pozuelo goes to Miami for $150k GAM...

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    feels like Garber and MLS didn't realize how harsh the Matuidi sanctions were and let this one get over the line. $150k in GAM is an absolute steal.

My initial reaction (beyond the above) is that Pozuelo really liked playing down in Miami during covid restrictions and wanted to make it permanent. As a DP, he probably held a lot of weight in where he could actually be traded within the league. Coupled with TFC wanting Berardeschi, all works out.

24. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be in Utah in about 10 days. I'll be going to the two RSL games while I'm there. I really want to run into Elliot so I can ask about the roster status. I mean, there are 5 guys listed for slots 21-24 and 25-28. Dewsnup takes slot 31 for a 30 man roster.
    Gomez has been on the game day roster most of the year, but doesn't count anywhere?!
    Luiz and Ruiz are listed as international players, how is it they don't have green cards by now? How is Jasper not an international player? Or Kablan for that matter?
    They do appear to have 2 slots on the senior roster and 2 international slots, so maybe that's how they can bring in more players. I just don't understand the secrecy. It used to be available info if you're willing to do the research, now you can't even find the rules for this year, especially between MLS and MLS Next PRO.
    BTW, I'm all for bringing in Cuellar and Arango. Arango makes $683k this year. I'm sure they can find room for him in the budget. LAFC needs room on the roster and could probably use a few hundred k of GAM.

evilradar and Ismitje repped this.