Evan Whitfield

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by shooter6065, Jun 20, 2011.

1. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    His voice is not great. And the first game or two he seemed hesitant and not sure when to jump in and say something.

But I have to say that when I listen to him now I get the feeling I got when I first heard Kyle Martino announce games. And that feeling was "this guy is going to be very good at this." He notices all the little important stuff going on that a lot of color guys miss while endlessly chatting about nonsense.

Sometimes I get the feeling he is holding back a little bit and that he really wants to unload with both barrels. But honesty goes a long way with viewers and he is providing that.

If he adds some more tactical analysis to his tool box and keeps improving he could easily end up on ESPN or Fox Soccer. I think he is going to be that good. And I usually don't spend the time complaining about or praising commentators.

Just my two cents.

2. thefireandthepassion

May 25, 2011
    St. Helen of the Blessed Shroud
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree, but he is better than the start of the season.

3. de Kromme

de Kromme Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Burbville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm with you. And he didn't say anything about Jalil's balls, so he has that going for him. Which is nice.

4. Count Chocula

Count Chocula Member+

May 7, 2010
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    big hitter, the Lama....

5. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Now that Gaston is gone, at least we wont hear Evan dissing on him every opportunity he gets.Of course, this may not be true as the last game he still found time to insult Gaston.

6. cubneil

cubneil Member

Real Madrid
    United States
    Jan 24, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if he says "offsides" one more time I'm going to scream

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I dont like his voice nor his commentary much.

But I like the fact he let loose and commented on the Fat Tony Simpsons flag that the Fire fans had in Columbus. That was pretty funny and showed he does not take himself too seriously all the time.

8. Evan is almost a nonfactor during games. There are many long periods of silence. I get the impression Kelly is waiting for him to say anything. Kelly's play by play has been fine. Whitfield adds nothing, but that is not all bad. I'm so sick of baseball type talking during the game. Soccer should be broadcast like hockey - tell us what's going on on the field and the color man should be pointing out tactic problems, spacing issues, etc., not some useless trivia as in the bball boring games.

9. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dan Kelly must die! Introducing Evan in the locker room interviews as "Evan Willams?" Dan Kelly must die!

10. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah, I miss Chris Doran.

11. sounds more like "Dan Kelly is a drunk"

12. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Given that the storms of Tuesday evening prevented me from getting downtown in a reasonable time today, so that I worked from home (never a bad thing), I could respect that. The vino came out late this afternoon and through the conference calls until 9:30pm (meaning USA v Panama & Fire v RSL) were recording on the DVR), this is unforgiveable. I may have made that error. Someone doing it for a paycheck - no way.

13. I PINCH!

I PINCH! Member

Apr 3, 2006
    Chicago IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. djaeb2000

djaeb2000 Member

Jun 6, 2000
    ~~~Arsonists~~~
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Whitfield sucks, plain and simple. He's gotten better, but he still sucks. There's at least 3-5 times every game where I say to myself, "Didn't this guy play the game? Why would he say that? Damn, he's an idiot."

He's prolly good if your new to soccer, but not if you have knowledge about the game.