Evaluation of Liverpool without GERRARD!

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by ULL NEVER WALK ALONE, Nov 14, 2004.

1. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    well,have to start by happily saying that gerrard is going to play in the reserve fixture against wolves on monday!!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4010211.stm

well,i personaly think liverpool copped quite well with the absence of Gerrard!Its a good thing for the team,since its not good that a team was dependent in only one player!!!We are now in a good position in the champions league,and in the league we are 8th,but with our game in hand we should be 4th!!!

2. youllneverwalkalone

Apr 3, 2003
    Houston
    I am just looking forward to hopefully seeing Gerrard's name in the lineup again on saturday. By the way, any news on FSW or PPV covering the Boro game this saturday?

3. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
    any word on Nunez? I thought him and gerrard would be back together.

4. TruReds

TruReds New Member

Jun 12, 2004
    KL
    All thanks to Xabi, he has been pulling strings together. Thumbs up!!!

5. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    yeah , but hes not as importantas gerrard! he sholud be available ,but think he will be fully fit for the match against Monaco.but i dont think he will play in a while!!well,actually no one knows him,so we cant judge!!!he could play in the right and we could send garcia up front with Baros(the only problem is that garcia doesnt finish well,but thats all we got!)

6. youllneverwalkalone

Apr 3, 2003
    Houston
    Garcia doesn't finish well? What are you on? He finishes very very well. The only problem is that when we have played him up front alongside or even behind Baros, is that he plays better as a supporting player to the strikers, not as one.

7. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Did you not see his awesome goal against Charlton a couple of weeks ago?

8. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    yeah,but i mean in general!!Garcia has missed some tap ins!!!!im not saying he doesnt score!the only thing i am saying is that he doesnt have the consistency a striker requires

9. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    And i have great news!!!!!Gerrard made a succesful return to the pitch,playing great football in the reserve match against wolves!!!Gerrard played the whole second half,and was as sharp as ever!!!I do expect him to play next week agaisnt Boro

http://liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N146750041115-2127.htm

GO LIVERPOOL!!!!!

10. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida

great in 2 weeks nunez will make his return. getting healthy.

11. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    With Gerrard back it should be interesting to see what formation Rafa will use. He could just swap in Gerrard for Hamann and the team would look like this:

---------------Kirkland
    Josemi--Carra---Hyppia--Traore
    Garcia---Gerrard---Alonso--Riise
    ---------------Kewell
    -----------------Baros

However, the more interesting possibility is to have Hamann, Gerrard, and Alonso all play together. This is especially more likely since we only have 1 striker with any experience. What about a team like this:

-------------Kirkland
    Josemi---Carra---Hyppia--Traore
    -------------Hamann
    ---------Gerrard--Alonso
    --Garcia------------------Kewell
    --------------Baros

I think that formation gives all our best players the chance to play to their strengths. With Hamann doing all the dirty work Gerrard and Alonso have freedom to control the game. We would need goals out of Kewell and Garcia, but we would need goals from them anyway if one played up front. This formation could even allow Gerrard to play right off of Baros as a support striker. At times Gerrard could move to the right wing and Garcia move up front. It gives tons of flexibility and I really think its the best way to get the best out of our best players. It may be unfair to Riise to be dropped, but he would be a nice guy to come off the bench. If Kewell doesn't start playing well he could be benched in favor of Riise. I would like to hear some opinions about how we should play now that we will soon have a full squad to choose from.

12. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suss I like the second formation -- but in either I'd drop Hoseme. He has been crap for a while -- play Finnan.

13. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I completly agree. Josemi has been crap. I only included him because I know that Rafa will.

14. TruReds

TruReds New Member

Jun 12, 2004
    KL
    I'm equally happy to know that Mellor had scored the winner again! IMHO, he has been the most prolific striker the academy has ever produce. I strongly feels that it is time to give him more opportunity to play in the senior line-up. Should at least place him ahead of FSP in the pecking order of our strikers. What do you guys think?

15. poolfan=)

poolfan=) New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Hey Suss,

I really like your innovative thinking with your 2nd formation, it gives us defensive strength, attacking quality and flexiblity in the cetre midfield however, I think that at times it leaves our wings a little to prone to attack by teams with marauding wingers. Garcia and Kewell will tend to get forward too much and leave our full backs exposed, even when they are back in defence, they are not the best defensive cover. And if Alonso and Gerrard are drawn too far out to the touch line, the formation may break down.

16. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Good point. But there are plenty of teams that play with two attacking wingers that aren't the best at tracking back. With 3 central midfielders all capable of defending, we should always have some support for our defense. Josemi just needs to stop making stupid attempts at tackles and getting pulled out of positon.

17. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think that the 2nd Suss formation would really work well. It's very similar to the one Chelsea is employing now that Robben is back.

It would give Kewell the role he plays best in and I think Garcia would flourish there too.

The only thing I don't like is that there is no place for Riise. Can't you maybe slot him to a fullback like he started a Liverpool? He could easily play at right back.

18. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He can't play right back because he never uses his right foot. I think that would be a disaster. Traore is playing way to well to be dropped. Unless Kewell plays up front, Riise will be the odd man out.

19. youllneverwalkalone

Apr 3, 2003
    Houston
    That's why, even though the second formation was a brilliant idea Suss, I would play with the first formation. I would much rather have Riise on the field rather than Didi. Riise has done very well this season. He seems very confident on the ball nowadays.

20. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We must be watching different games. JAR has come off early in every game because aside from the odd Exocet he doesn't provide good width or linkup play. DiDi played an excellent match on Saturday, both ways, winning balls and laying on the killer pass which got Baros the first PK.

21. NC RED

NC RED Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Charlotte NC USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Mellor should be given a fair shake as a starter. I dont see why he wouldnt continue his goal scoring ways in the EPL. If he doesnt get a fair shake then we should just close the academy down or make it a retail store for selling players becuase what else does a player have to do to get a call up. Especially against Birmingham, I was actually at that game(first ever) and the crowd could not believe Mellor did not start and barely play ten minutes. We had no strike force at all. That would have been a perfect game to introduce him as a starter. Pongo just doesnt look ready or may not be first team just yet, he made some errors in front with some good through balls.
    Give Mellor a chance.

22. timberley11

timberley11 New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Suss,

I like you second formation, but with Finnan in at right back. The team has everything there. Stability at the back along with flair going forward and defensive

Having Didi in there it makes the team more secure defensively.

Perhaps you should give Rafa a call he might have a job for you.

23. Russian Scouser

Russian Scouser Red Card

Nov 17, 2004
    that Lundun
    When I saw Flo's debut at Anfield against Leeds last year, he was superb. His touch is fantastic and he is well pacy. And he scored a cracking goal. I was being optimistic but he did remind me of Fowler a bit. It is a pity he is small but he does get stuck in. I think he should be given first-team chances this season but not alongside Mellor, whom I just can't rate - I just do not think he is an intelligent-enough footballer to play with Flo. Whilst Flo buzzes with exitement, Mellor lumbers. Of course, it seems Flo is too small to play up front on his own but for some reason I thoroughly dread Mellor as the lone targetman. I do hope I am totally wrong and he scores another brace v. Boro.

24. Russian Scouser

Russian Scouser Red Card

Nov 17, 2004
    that Lundun
    What I do not understand is how does he manage to score so many for the reserves and look so offpace in the first team?

25. timberley11

timberley11 New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Quicker game, more intelligent players, strong opposition. But if he does not play against the best, he ain't going to get better