Evaluating Our Options

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Via_Chicago, Dec 1, 2004.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see your point Nap, but I think that Dom and JD have had a tendency to go the old horses too much. They played Agoos when he was hurt. I'd have put him on the bench for a match or two in early August so that he would be healthier for me down the stretch and in the playoffs. I would have given Alvarez more playing time in favor of Corrales who was clearly off form most of the season. I would have found a way to get Dombrowski more playing time. I would have used my subs earlier and used them all.

I hope that Dom is a better coach this coming season, but I were in gAlexi's shoes, I'd have sack him and JD and replaced them with Agoos and Dayak.

Then I'd feel a lot better about our options.

- Mark

2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Can we consider John Thorrington? He's suppose to be back in LA and ready for the draft. He's been injuried a fair amount of his career, but he's rested and should be healthy now. While I won't call him a "replacement" for Donovan, he has many of the tools we could use.

Speed to burn

Good dribbling skills

Nice crosses from the right

Looks to score

He's a natural right midfielder (yeah, I know we have Mullan), but I've seen him perform well in the central mid attacking role and he's not a bad forward. Small, quick and likes to go at defenders. I think he could be a "Ronnie O'Brien" type in MLS. Drafting him would allow use to play either Thorrington or Mullan up top with Ching. That gives us a smallish speedster to compliment Ching (sort of like Donovan did).

3. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff

While I think it would be great if we could bring John Thorrington in at the right price, I imagine that he would not figure into Dominic's plans in central midfield. Most likely he would provide insurance on the right. In fact, the idea that a guy who is languishing on the bench for Grimsby, a club in the English Second Division (old Third Division), could just come to an MLS club and start is almost comical. Certainly though, the talent is there, as time with Manchester United and Bayer Leverkuesen indicates. But there have been too few reports like this lately and too much of this, a profile indicating that since he moved to Grimsby, he has one assist and one yellow card. That just isn't good enough, even by MLS standards.

However, a move to the United States and to a new league might do John Thorrington a world of good. It would also make a cap with the national team at least that much less remote. Regardless, you're right to suggest that we take a look at him, because while his numbers may not be inspiring, he may definitely be worth a look.

4. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    Considering that many MLS teams play a 352 that requires a different type of player than San Jose's 442, I think that the 4+ premium right flank midfielders that you mention (Mullen, Ralston, Klein and certainly O'Brien) are pretty good in a ten team league.

Justin Mapp and Eddie Gaven could be extremely dangerous right-sided flank midfielders too, although they are not always deployed in orthodox roles.

Olsen is really a central midfielder now and Chicago, DC and LA all play with outside mids who must play defense to a completely different extent than your average wide midfielder in a 442. I would argue that the only teams that have very mediocre right midfielders are Colorado and possibly Columbus, depending on who they play out right. DC lost Earnie Stewart, who did a great job on the right side this season (not last, though) so we will have to see how well he can be replaced. Cobi Jones is just about used up, but he has been a fabulous right-sided flank midfielder until now.

The mentions of John Thorrington are not bad either. Don't forget that Ronnie O'Brien (not to mention John Spencer) were resurrected from scrap heaps. Thorrington probaby very much needs a change of scenery, but I wouldn't consider him washed up yet.

When you talk about flank midfielders, it is not simply that they are more easily replaced - but also that they do not necessary have as many opportunities to be difference makers in games. A player like Ned Grabavoy can have lots more touches and opportunities on the ball than Brian Mullen.

I would contend that a big reason why your team was not able to repeat this season boils down to the state of the central midfield. The deterioration of Ronnie Ekelund and the somewhat less effective performances of Richard Mulrooney were a big difference from last season. Ekelund's passing and Mulrooney's industry freed Donovan to be more effective in a more orthodox attacking position, leading to more goals and a more dangerous attack.

This season, ya'll had more of Brian Ching and a healthy Dwayne DeRosario. Brian Mullen played very well. Donovan was a bit less consistent. You had less depth in defense, but it was composed of basically the same players (less Roner:)). The main difference was the lack of incisive passing and aggressiveness in central midfield and the lack of a more creative passer in the front line (since Donovan was playing more withdrawn).

I see Grabavoy as the type of player that could be a difference maker for years at San Jose. At this point, you have a constant in Brian Mullen to be sure. But he is not going to be able to cover the gaping hole in the center of your formation (no Ekelund OR Donovan). That is why I would be willing to trade either Torres or Mullen to help get Grabavoy and another dangerous attacking player (such as Ngenywa).

Grabavoy's passing skills, his set piece delivery skills and his solid ability to influence defense and offense as a holding midfielder mark him out as a future star in this league.

5. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thorrington was once considered a future star/prospect with the US National Team--and given on what was stated, why ride the bench in the lower divisions when he could return to the States and ressurect his career here? It did work wonders for Kirovski, as an example. This could be a shot in the arm for him, and maybe come home to familiar surroundings. He could be worth taking a chance.

6. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Grabovoy will be my choice too to fill in the midfield with Mulrooney. Dombrowski has good skill so he can get in the mix.

Alvarez should be in left or top. Passing is not his best skill but one-vs-one is good.

So find some center midfielders, one left wing, one right wing, one defender (due to Robinson's injury problem) and one right back.

For the right back, we should get those new generation kids--Hunter Freeman, Jrew Moore or Wynne. For the left midfielder, that Brazilain-American kid Carlos Elliot may worth a try.

7. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool_SC

Great post. An excellent response.

However, I first take issue with your statement: "many MLS teams play a 352." I just don't think this is true. If we take a look at teams that consistently line up in a 3-5-2 formation, the list becomes very small:

Teams that consistently line up in a 4-4-2 formation
    • Colorado Rapids
    • Dallas Burn
    • Kansas City Wizards
    • LA Galaxy
    • San Jose Earthquakes
    • Columbus Crew
    • Metrostars
    • New England Revolution

Team(s) that often or consistently line up in a 3-5-2 formation
    • Chicago Fire*
    • D.C. United

That is, 8 of 10 MLS teams consistently employ a 4-4-2 formation, while one occasionally uses it (Chicago Fire.) I don't think this is indicative of what you said, that "many" teams in MLS use the 3-5-2. I may be nit-picking, but I think that it's an important point that the talent pool and roster sizes have mostly made the 4-4-2 far more desireable a formation than the 3-5-2. Small roster sizes and a small salary cap, not to mention talent deficiencies on the right side, have all made teams very weak on the right. There are no viable alternatives when players are slumping. This is true of many positions across the field, but it is especially true of right midfield.

While I know that the Kansas City Wizards still advanced to MLS Cup without Chris Klein, I think it's obvious that the Wizards probably could have won that game with their offensive work-horse. Without him, they just get no wing play and no offensive help from the midfield. The talent pool was just to weak to provide Gansler with a contributing replacement. Yes, the gap left by Chris Klein's injury is a big hole to fill; however, the fact that Kansas City could generate no offense through its midfield and had to resort to long ball is certainly indicative of these said talent deficiencies.

While I agree that "a player like Ned Grabavoy could have a lot more touches on the ball," you are assuming that he would start in central midfield. The statement that flank midfielders don't have the opportunities to be difference makers just boils down to style of play. In a system where there are two holding/defensive midfielders whose job it is to get the ball out wide for the flank players, wing players become very important. I could see San Jose playing a system like this next season, if Kinnear doesn't use the Donovan allocation on an attacking midfielder. Yes, in a system with such an attacking central player, the ability of the flank players to affect the game is marginalized. However, in the former system, a player of Mullan's skill could be very effective on the right, and a player of Grabavoy's could be likewise effective on the left.

Sometimes a team has to trade proven talent for young, un-proven talent. However, in a league driven entirely by parity, I don't think that this is a necessity. San Jose needs to hold on to its best, most irreplaceable players, and I believe that Brian Mullan is a part of that group.

Your post though, lends great insight into the problems facing this team next season and how we can overcome them.

8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca

His career path has been more disappointing then most. I think he's been hit with all kinds of bad luck. Injuries at the wrong time, coaches that liked him getting fired, incentive contract for a club in financial difficulty, ect. His old high school coach has a theory that John just needs to be around friends and family that BELIEVE in him. He's been in a funk since the last World Cup. If Thorrington gets support, he can be as good as a Ronnie O'Brien.

Sigi was a big Thorrington supporter (John played on Sigi's U-20 team in Nigeria '99. He was the second most impressive offensive player behind Taylor Twellman). I'm not so sure that Sampson is as impressed. I can see Thorrington following the same path as Donovan. Local SoCal boy who comes up north and finds the lifestyle and "Earthquake culture" to his liking and grows his game to a new level. He really can play in the middle if needed. We'd have to play more of a diamond midfield with Mulrooney deeper then normal, but that's what he did with Donovan anyway....

9. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    After thinking it over and reading the "Wee Man's" ideas on our needs next year, here's what I'd like to see:

Bring Thorrington into camp and find out if he has what it takes. Find out if Barrett is REALLY interested in coming back to the states. If we sign both, play Barrett at left back, Dunnivant at left mid, Thorrington at right mid and Mullan at right back.

That would give us TWO exciting attacking flank backs in Mullan and Barrett. All 4 guys can cross pretty well (Thorrington's forte is suppose to be nice crosses, Barrett and Dunivant are pretty good and Mullan (who shanks a fair amount) would have more time and should deliver some better ones as an overlapping back then a marked (and fouled!) midfielder.

I didn't see Thorrington's name on the list of invited players to the MLS combine in January. Can anyone who has Lalas' or Kinnear's ear suggest that they contact him in LA and invite him to the Quake's preseason camp? It was a foregone conclusion that he'd end up playing for the Galaxy while Sigi was there, but perhaps Sampson isn't as interested in him.

10. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    I haven't heard anything about what Dom and ALalas are working on for replacements but I will admit I am really excited at the suggestion of Wade coming back!

The qualities that we seem to have lost most with our off-season departures are speed, work rate and midfield experience. Wade Barrett possesses all three of those. We know and love they guy's game. I would love to see Wade Barrett back in Quakes' blue. To me, he's a direct replacement of all that we lost with the departure of Ramiro Corrales while also being an upgrade at the same time.

I don't know the latest on this "Wade wants to come home" rumor but I hope it happens. It would also be great to get him back on Arena's radar.

As for suggestions of trading Mullan for Grabavoy and someone else, I'm opposed to trading a guy who's getting looks in national team camp. Mullan is great for us and, to me, he's virtually untouchable.

11. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Not my preference. I don't like Brian Mullan as a right back, although he's ok at it. He's possibly the best right mid in the league, why mess with that? I expect that he will continue to improve, too, since he's pretty young...but I don't expect that he would ever be more than average at outside back. He dives in on tackles at times and is pretty short for the position. If you have Barrett on the other side, you now have a pretty short backline.

12. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mullan is more suited at the mid than at the back. Place him there, he'll get burned and I would think he would rather play more up front and attack ball than defend. Hopefully, Barrett finds his way back to San Jose and he can claim one of the spots on the back line. Cheers!

13. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way to win in this league is to make something out of nothing. Meaning if we get the guys that are going to push us over the top next year, they wont be ones you see coming from a mile away.

So we need to either have guys on the roster step up, or find a diamond in the rough, or manage a reconstruction project. So who do we need? I have no clue.

Mullan is a midfielder who can play forward in a pinch. Hes best in the midfield, thats where we need to keep him.

14. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    I agree he is best in the midfield, but that doesn't mean he can't help us more as a right back. Lots of players have started off in offensive positions and moved back. See Chris Albright in LA, Wade Barrett scored all kinds of goals in college from the midfield (heck, we even managed to win a championship with "defender" Zak Ibsen!). If we can find another strong right mid, I'd like to see us find a way to play BOTH at the same time.

Also, does anyone else remember the last half of the season? Teams just fouled the hell out of Mullan. Do you really think he can take another year of constant pounding? If he comes from a deeper position (it's the workrate, right?), then teams can't just lay into him all game long, plus he's gets a few more seconds to measure his crosses.....

15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with Lurking, Mullan should stay at right back and maybe sub as a forward if we're out of other options.

The way to keep Mullan from getting pounded is to get more players who threaten the goal. That way, the opposition can't just focus on Brian. Also, we should spend at least some part of the off-season screaming at the USSF refs. We got screwed badly in at least four or five matches this past season.

What we really need in the coming draft and discovery process is another forward or two and a couple of midfielders. I think I'd get a defender or two if Agoos or Dayak retire.

As for trades, we've already lost five players, I'm not really interested in giving up more. Even Hart is a decent and versatile player. Are we going to be able to draft someone out of college who is better in week one?! I don't think so.

LONG LIVE THE QUAKES!!

- Mark

16. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    In addition to Chicago and DC United; New England, LA and Columbus have all deployed 352s at different times over the past two seasons. Metrostars don't play an orthodox 442, as they use more of a fluid/box-style midfield. Kansas City used to use a 352 quite a bit.

But I agree that there are fewer teams going that route right now. Chivas USA is not likely to use an orthodox 442.

There are still a number of teams with options on the right. Chris Albright could still be a very effective right midfield player on the right team. Josh Gros is primarily left-footed - but he is pretty effective along the right. De le Torre and Frankie Hejduk are decent wingbacks if not out-and-out right wingers. Felix Brillent and Richie Baker looked dangerous in spurts in New England. I don't think there is really a crisis at the position. And if there is - why are so many of your fellow Quake fans calling for Mullen to be "protected" at right back?

I also don't know why a 442 is a better formation if you have only limited numbers of wide players available. In the modern 442, you need two effective wide players on each side. The fullbacks all need to have the ability to push up and underlap the wide midfielder (if not overlap) to provide linking play and continuity in the transition from the middle third to the attacking third. In a 352, you only need one out-and-out wide player (per side) because more of the linking play and most of the playmaking roles are accomplished through the center of the field and a dedicated "number 10" type attacking midfielder.

Generally I prefer a 442 because I like to see more wing play - not less. But in MLS, most teams playing a 442 are reflexively counterattacking sides and that can get pretty boring.

This is a good point, but over the last 1.5 seasons, Chris Klein has played in more of a free role that gives him license to drift into the center of the field, switch sides, etc in order to get more touches and have more influence in the game. Because he was so important to the Wizard offense, Gansler exposed him in different positions (including left-sided midfield and a withdrawn forward type role) to get him more involved. Klein is a very unique player to be sure, but his is a role that Jack Jewsbury or Khari Stephenson can grow into, given time.

Grabavoy was played in the middle and on the left in LA. But his best position is in the center of the park. I agree that different styles of play emphasize players in different positions. But even at his most influential - David Beckham did not have the ability to seize hold of a game from his right-sided spot that Roy Keane had in the middle. Neither Frankie Ljungberg nor Robert Pires will ever have the influence on proceedings that Patrick Vieira can. Once in awhile, a wide player might have more touches than a central player. But it is very rare - even for a team that relies heavily on wide players.

Ben Olsen was a very good winger for DC United. But he has repeatedly stated that now that he is playing in the center of the formation, he has more chances to influence the game and he is able to contribute for 90 minutes - admitting that it is all to easy to get isolated for 10 minute chunks of the game when playing in a wide position. The same thing happened with Bobby Convey at DC.

We will see one way or another. But I still contend ya'll have a gaping hole in the middle of the field. Hope that you can find the right players to replace Ekelund and Donovan.:)

17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see that I mis-typed badly.

Mullan plays the right midfield spot for us. I don't want him at the right-back spot.

Of course, if we lose Mulrooney too, then we have no one who's been a starter in central midfield. So yeah, that would necessitate getting a Guevara or Cancela type player, probably from Central America.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark