eusebio dead

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by tony-soprano37, Jan 5, 2014.

1. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    just heard it on the news.
    he died at 71 (thats not really old)

sometimes overlooked imo when makign a list of all time greats.

together with pele he was THE player of the 1960's.

a man with a incredible goal to game ratio. a powerfull shot and amazing skills.

2. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #2 JamesBH11, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
    R.I.P

Eusebio: Portuguese pioneer
    Posted by John Brewin
    Even with the rise of Cristiano Ronaldo, Eusebio da Silva Ferreira remains Portugal's favourite son, the player who took them to the brink of the World Cup final in 1966 and the man who gave a small nation belief in its ability to compete. Eusebio, who died Sunday at age 71, was revered as Benfica's greatest player, the man whose goals secured them a second European Cup and inspired them to unmatched domestic success. No one ever shone brighter at the original Stadium of Light.

Across Europe, in a less politically correct time when far fewer players of African origin were on view, he was known as "The Black Pearl" or alternatively, "The Black Panther." The second of those nicknames better describes his style of play. Speed, trickery, power and guile made him a player feared by defences across the world. Long, lung-bursting runs and thunderous finishing often made him a one-man attack, and despite the close marking he faced throughout his career,
    he plundered an amazing 319 goals in 313 games for his club and 41 goals in 64 games for Portugal.
    Twice the winner of Europe's Golden Boot (in 1968 and 1973), he served Benfica for a glorious 15 years, scoring 46 goals in Europe for them, and led the way for his country over an international career that spanned 12. Good as there has ever been, Portugal fans still admire the achievements of their country's greatest player -- a true pioneer.

[​IMG]
    Famous for his precised powerful shot

[​IMG]
    Also a real threat to any defense

[​IMG]
    Great in the air

[​IMG]
    Great dribbler

[​IMG]
    A complete forward (also good in defense)

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Top ten player of all time. RIP

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Yeah used to be ... (same with Muller or Basten in 90's)
    With the inclusion of Ronaldo, Zidane and soon Messi, I am afraid Eusebio will be out of TOP10 all time

6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Eusebio is ranked ahead of Ronaldo and Zidane easily, and Messi will need a great memorable WC to surpass him.

7. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  8. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    RIP

Was truly shocked. Didn't know Eusebio had health issues, always looked great during public apperances for me. :thumbsdown:

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I do not say that was "my rating" ... but the popularity in ranking per se ...
    Ronaldo and Zidane had WC and Euro/copa to support them while Messi with his last 5 years highly performance in UCL also supported him well

Actually there is no difference between Eusebio and Ronaldo they are about equally in talent and performance. Ronaldo was even more flashy

10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Eusebio is ranked top ten in most lists, which is not true for either Ronaldo or Zidane. His performance in WC66, which is clearly better than Ronaldo's or Zidane's, puts him ahead deservedly.

11. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Again very misinfo: yeah "most lists" BEFORE year 2000 (when both Zidane and Ronaldo still active)
    Eusebio 9goals/6games WC66 was NOT clear better than Ronaldo's 8gaols/7games WC02

NOte: 4goals from PK, and 4goals from one single game vs who? N Korea

12. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No, most lists in the present have Eusebio as top ten. Also, Eusebio's was still clearly a greater performance than Ronaldo in WC02.

Note: Ronaldo won the WC when Zidane was injured, Zidane beat him twice before and after WC02.

13. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #14 JamesBH11, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    DO Show me if you can???

Zidane beat Roanldo twice when he was NOT FIT ....

For your info:
    Even Zidane admitted: "Ronaldo was also my idol. He was the best player I have ever played with and against. People were LESS FORTUNATE (than myself) to have seen what Ronaldo did in practice - Everyday he brought a new cool thing and beautiful "

Also Figo's interview (during his "galacticos" years 2003) about comparing himself to Zidane and Ronaldo in term of ball "techniques":
    " we are totally different type of players to Ronaldo. While we (Figo and Zidane) are training hard everyday to prepare good things for the game, Ronaldo never trained.
    It's funny that if there are players who never train and be that good, it's Ronaldo"

14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    You guys have SHORT memory:

I just listed the latest 2013 best XI voted by Worldsoccer Magazine on the other thread, in there:

Eusebio was lower than Pele, Messi, Puskas, Ronaldo as "striker" category = but Eusebio > Basten > Romario

15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    FIFA.com has Eusebio far ahead of Ronaldo and Messi.

16. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    and do NOT be clueless when was it? more than 10years ago?

17. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Quite recently. What did Ronaldo do the last ten years to make him change the all-time lists?

18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    #19 JamesBH11, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
    where were you the last 10 years? Oh you just started watching football ... I see.

For your LAST INFO:

1- by end 1999 (*BEFORE winning WC2002, intercont, Liga Paulista and another Ballon Dor WPOY topscorers, WC all time topscorers ..)
    Ronaldo was already #13 (very close to TOP10) by Worldsoccer magazines (most popular)
    so with the above achievement, I can see he would (possibly and arguably ) replace Eusebio in TOP10 and leave Romario (#26) , Baggio (#16) far behind ....

2- by 2012:
    By Placar magazines, Ronaldo was voted as #3 best Brazil all time (behind only Pele and Garrincha and > Zico, Falcao , ... Romario was #6 ...)

===============================================

So go out and show your clueless argument against them if you dare???

19. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ronaldo has actually gone down in ranking then, most lists nowadays put Messi ahead of him, and he is nowhere near top five. At best, he barely makes a top dozen, players like Cruyff, Garrincha, Beckenbauer, Puskas, DiStefano and Eusebio continue to receive a greater appreciation, not to mention Maradona and Pele.

20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    You kept on singing the SAME BS song

I just gave you a CLEAR example and LATEST (world soccer best XI by 2013)

Ronaldo was just behind Pele/Messi/Puskas and > Eusebio Basten Muller Romario in striker position.

Note if they do NOT consider Pele/Puskas or Messi as "pure striker" (since they were not) Ronaldo was of course #1 striker in turn.