Eurotrash VI: Galliano Couture Edition

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by Bonnie Lass, May 31, 2012.

1. Flea2009

Flea2009 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Kirkcaldy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    BBC Alba is showing the Sweden Scotland game next wednesday.

2. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Does my head in that they don't show it on BBC Scotland. Still, BBC Alba is great for the 1.1 % of the population who can speak some Gaelic - of whom maybe about 50 might be deliberately watching the match. I'll be resorting to Swedish commentary.

Incidentally, the BBC channels are usually geoblocked.

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    actually better for the 89.9% who can't. nothing improves a telecast more than not understanding a word the commentators say, 89.9% of whom are blithering idjits.

4. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    The worst thing about hearing Gaelic if you're Scottish is that it sounds like you should understand it, but you don't. The brain is on red alert for the entire match going "What did he just say? Did you catch that?" It's easier to listen to Polish commentary.

PS: Heading into two elections within the week, I'm not going to quibble with your percentages.

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    is this gaelic?

can scottish people really understand it? should they?

blissett repped this.
  6. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Spot the new kid on the block?

[​IMG]

7. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Is it the marsupial to the far right in the picture? Teehee! Who's she playing for these days? Team Dinosauria?

8. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    And speaking of Her Taz-ness, HOW could I have missed this GOLDmine of tidbits and gossip about Pohlers?? (Well, awkward timing is how.)

www.uefa.com/womenschampionsleague/news/newsid=2128401.html

There is just too much here for me to deal with, just at the moment. Too much information. But I'll be back, oh yes I will. For now I will have to content myself with a simple language question: Urm, is "testimonial" really the right word here?

9. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
  10. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Good heavens - Hingst goes all-in for knee-knackering! Is anybody planning a small pilgrimage any time soon? If so, stay out of the forest next to the stadium. It may look like a lovely place for a walk, but you *will* get lost and you *will* end up walking almost all the way to Potsdam. Consider yourself warned.

Are you really questioning the term, or are you questioning her service to the club?

Wait a minute: what's the story behind the bottle in the pic? Bubbly to celebrate something I might understand, but that looks suspiciously like a bottle of plonko rosso.

11. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    I'm sure it's "Little Red Riding-Hood" bubbly, aka Rotkäppchen-Sekt, one of the most famous GDR relics.

Smulan repped this.
  12. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Of interest, the Irish player Stephanie Roche has received a Puskas Award nomination (1 of 10). She now plays for a French Div 1 team (ASPTT-Albi in middle of league table). If you would dream that a woman could beat all 9 men, then vote for her HERE

13. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    The 7 on the S-Bahn may look like the 5 but as I found out yesterday it's another way to end up in Potsdam as well.

14. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Ah. Thank you. Testimonial... match. The crucial noun "match" is missing from the entire UEFA article. It just says "testimonial", which to me sounds like a legal proceeding of some kind. Because, you know, 'murriken.

That problem right there is exactly why demonstrative adjectives are so much better than demonstrative pronouns with unclear antecedents. "Testimonial" is a crappy pronoun, but a fine adjective if it's modifying "match". Unless your goal is to make poor foreigners feel really dumb. in which case, bravo, UEFA.

15. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Hey, if the British Council can use "adverbial" as a noun, I'm fine using "testimonial". 'Murriken indeed.

16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  17. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    you've been waylaid by the -al ending. testimonial is absolutely a noun (obviously not a pronoun) and always has been. it can be used as a modifier (as can most nouns) but does not become an true adjective simply for that.

18. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Nothing, which was the reason for the link demonstrating the use of "adverbial" as a noun.

guignol repped this.
  19. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
  20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    as a noun... a clause of unquestionable adverbiality!

21. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Well, I would beg to quibble that in this case 'testimonial' is being used as a de facto and ad hoc pronoun to stand for the nominal phrase 'testimonial match'... Which, really, though, anyone with any brains at all ought to have been able to figure out... (still mad at myself) Amazing how one can follow European (women's) football closely for years and years and yet, somehow, completely miss the existance of 'testimonial matches'. Or, more likely, just plain forget they exist.

Adverbial phrases/clauses remain my complete blind spot. How does one feel the difference (not know the difference, because I can look it up in a book as well as the next person) between a predicative and just a mere adverbial? It makes a difference in Swedish, when you have to conjugate an adjective according to the number of the subject, and I'll go out on a limb and suppose that it matters in French as well.

After formally learning just a little bit of grammar, my personally cherished wackidoo conspiracy theory is that is no such thing as 'adverbs'. By which I mean, they are not a natural class; they are just everything that isn't clearly something else.

22. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    That thing you two just did right there? You have totally ditched me. Whoosh, right over my beehive hairdo and into the ether. "Hey, guys, wait for me!" she squealed...

23. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    "Pronoun"?? Oh dear, what has all that Swedish done to your brain, poor thing...

24. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Pronouns, synedoche, whatever.

Things I have actually said, in English, out loud, in front of other people, without noticing anything was wrong: "There keep coming people by," and so-and-so "will happen in the soon future."

Terrible, terrible things, in other words.

25. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    At university I picked up the lovely dialectal phrase: "I'm just now going." Tell people it's dialect and you can get away with a fair amount of linguistic quirkiness.

Micol repped this.