EuroSport in North America

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by lwedge, Dec 28, 2005.

1. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Are there Soccer fans out there that would like to see EuroSport broadcasts in North America ?

We are trying to persuade DirecTV, DishNetwork to add Eurosport to their programming. DirecTV has already stated they would consider adding if there was enough response.

Your thoughts.

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is we, newbie?

3. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    what is on eurosport

4. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Dec 28, 2005
  5. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    It's the same as ESPN Sports here in the states. Here's their web site.

http://www.eurosport.com

Lw

6. CCTX SoccerFreak

CCTX SoccerFreak New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Corpus Christi,TX
    Okay...I'll take the bait.

Yes we would love to have more soccer programming in the US. Now what has to be done to make it happen?

Which providers? Only DirectTV or also ComCast, Time Warner for example

As a rule of thumb -- If it involves supporting soccer in anyway -- we're all for it but give us some more info instead of just pasting a question like that.

7. CCTX SoccerFreak

CCTX SoccerFreak New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Corpus Christi,TX
    Okay..then yes...I'll take one of those please? :cool:

8. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be honest. I never liked Eurosport. Except for the fact theat they used to show the Hockey World Championships when I lasted watched it.

9. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ESPN kicks Eurosports ass. Despite the fact that they are starting to show Poker for 16 hours a day. Eurosport lack quality in its programing.

10. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    So does ESPN...

11. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That explains the 16 hours of poker.

12. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would gladly take Eurosport here. I saw a couple minutes of it in a hotel room in Florence.

13. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Sorry, to fly in here like this. I am putting together some email links and I will add ComCast and Time Warner. I suppose we can add them as we go.

This all started when some guys from Ireland and Scotland where talking about how the New Zealand All Blacks where playing Scotland and how Ireland almost beat the All Blacks and then they ranted on about how Boonan won the World Championship in cycling. Needless to say, there were quite a few U.S and Canadian members that wanted to watch these events live and the only venue available is EruoSport TV. OLN has all but abandoned broadcasting anything other than reruns of Survivor and RV Living....

I will post the links when I have them all, should be later today or early tomorrow California time. It's pouring rain here right now so I may have to get home to my wife who is panicking, so stay tuned. By the way, not many in Europe (excluding Germany) know who Landon Donavan is.

Lw

14. akofman12345

akofman12345 New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    San Jose
    i watch eurosport all the time when i am in Israel, and thier website is my #1 source to look up European football scores. Awesome channel.

How close are you to getting this channel broadcasted in the US?

15. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The wholesale airing of a channel from outside is not possible in the US. First, I imagine there are FCC regulations against it (as there would be in many other nations) but also in that the US rights to what Eurosport airs are probably already owned by various entities in the first place, so lobbying cable providers to air "Eurosport" is rather silly. Now, lobbying Eurosport to start a channel of their own here in the US (a la BBC America) is a different story, but they'd have to make sure they own the rights to what they show in Europe for the US.

16. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    I have zero interest about what's going on in Europe. With so much sh1t going on here in the States, I don't have the time to embrace sports from another continent, and besides I don't really see any European sports actually taking any significant market share. The Europeans cherish any opportunity to bash the US and I'm not okay with that.

Remember what happend to Lance when he won the Tour of France - no soon he arrived in France, he was tested 7 to 8 times for steroids before the race, and when he won, the French media still claimed that he cheated.

Or, how about the hostility - courtesy of the Greeks - our basketball team went through when we lost against Puerto Rico during the Olympics games. Those European crowds were nasty to our athletes.

No thank you. I'm not interested.

I don't know, I might be wrong about this but at least this is how I feel.

17. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Oh yes, I know that site well. It's the one I always end up at when want to be shopping at Soccer.com

Can't say I'm very interested in the channel as, aside from soccer, Le Tour, and Dakkar (the three of which are covered decently on TV already), no other sports in Europe interest me.

I, and I hope most soccer fans, wish you guys luck on your endeavor though. We know how much it sucks to not have your favorite sport(s) covered in the U.S.

Have any of you looked into european message boards to find video torrents of these events? Many of us soccer fans download shows and/or full length matches every week that are only available in Europe to get sufficient coverage. It's not quite legal, but it beats trying to convince suits that there's a demand.

18. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the opposite. I live in America, grew up in America, but pretty much every sporting event I have interest in seeing takes place in Europe. This will be especially relevant in 2006, but was for 2005 as well.

19. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    They don't have the US rights for most of the things they show in Europe anyway.

I don't know what rudyirons is on about, I'd rather watch some European football or something than bloody NFL or baseball.

20. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you mind forwarding that to Cablevision as well? I have FSW and Gol TV...but hey, the more the better.

21. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA

I take it that you're talking specifically about soccer, because as far as I know Europeans don't play any other sport besides soccer, or at least of any significance.

22. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Motorsports are pretty big. Cricket, Rugby, Cycling and Basketball have their audiences.

23. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA

Dude, if we're talking about blood, our sport is trailing far behind baseball or the NFL.

Back in the either 70s or 80s, wasn't there an arm conflict between El Salvador and Honduras over a soccer match, and the UN had to intervene?

Some 80+ fans die during a soccer match in Guatemala due to a human avalanche sparked by an angry mob in the stands.

And some incidents in Europe I can careless to mention.

24. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA

Rugby, I take. But isn't that more prevalence in New Zeland and Australia rather than Europe?

What in the world is Cricket?

By the way Taco Jones, I heard some rumors about you having to do with choosing a name of a team.

25. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's the most boring sport in the history of the universe, and that coming from an Englishman!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket

Personally, I'd love to see EuroSport in the USA. The Alpine Ski World Cup, Ski Jumping, GP2/F3000 Motor Racing, some Snooker...

Jon