European U-21 Championship Qualifier: Israel-France [R]

Discussion in 'Israel: National Teams' started by Zealot, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Zealot

Zealot New Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Israel snatches a crucial 3-2 win in Herzliya, thanks to Gal Alberman's 90th minute header, assisted by Liran Cohen. Israel vaults into first place in the group with 13 points, France is second with 10 points and a game in hand. Ohayon and Arbitman scored the other two goals for Israel.

Press accounts said Israel had the better of play but the French hung in there thanks to a bad error by goalkeeper Tom Almadon on one play and an impressive blast from 25 meters later in the first half.

Arbitman is suspended for the enxt match veruss Ireland after picking up another yellow card.

2. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Result

Israel 3-2 France
    Fulltime

The stadium's only side that was open filled up just about five minutes into the match. They had magazines for the match tomorrow, so I grabbed one and I posted it here. The French played very conservative with no real flashes of brilliance. Their number 10 though was incredibly fast and gave the Israeli defence a few scares. Number 15 for Israel was unbelievable and showed some incredible dribbling skills causing France headaches the entire match.

The first Israel goal was a blinder. The French equaliser was just a big mess with Almadon not jumping high enough. The second French goal was an incredible run by their number 4. The second Israeli goal came soon after and Israel could have won this match by a couple of goals. The winner came from Gal Alberman who did a great job. Viam Amasha played in the second half and looked really strong. I still can't believe that he plays for Israel even though he is wanted by the Syrian national team.

[​IMG]

3. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going Abroad?

It seems that these past two matches were a blessing for Gal Alberman who has been told by Real Racing de Santander of Spain, that they will be using the option that they have on him in the end. It seems that the good performances against the Irish and French have caused the president of Santander to change his mind as he was on hand for all four of the matches (U-21 and national).

This poses an interesting situation. The club now has on its books four Israelis: Dudu Awat, Omri Afek, Yossi Benayoun, and Gal Alberman. Afek was loaned out because of the club not having any space for him with the foreignor limits. Yossi Benayoun will receive Spanish citizenship making him not count against the limit. So Awat and Alberman will be foreignors and possibly Afek though it looks as though he will be loaned out again. He has ruled against coming back to Israel.

4. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    I remember reading that Dudu Awat has an EU (French?) passport and doesn't count as a foreignor, but I might be mistaken. Does anyone know for sure?

5. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EU Passport

I don't recall but I know that Ilan Bakhar holds a French passport, though he is not at the club anymore.