European "Super" League

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Coach_McGuirk, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I seem to remember a few years back (3, I think), that the idea of a European Super League was being bandied about with the big clubs in Europe. I seem to remember UEFA grumbled loudly, and the deal obviously didn't materialize.

I think there were to be 16 teams in this league. Anyway, to my point: If such a league was ever formed, which teams do you guys think would "fill the bill"? Here's my 16, in no particular order:

England: ManU, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea
    Spain: Real Madrid, Barcelona
    Italy: Inter Milan, Juventus, AC Milan, Lazio
    Scotland: Celtic
    Holland: Ajax, Feyenoord
    Germany: Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich
    France: PSG

If it was a 20 club league, I'd probably add Rangers from Scotland, Roma from Italy, Newcastle from England, and Deportivo from Spain

I'm not really sure that either of the Dutch sides would be able to compete financially with the other giants, but of course a league such as this would bring in tons of money from TV and such.

I personally would never want to see this happen, but I just thought I'd toss it out there and see if anyone else might give it a go with a different group of 16.

2. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Yes, the big clubs, led by the Italian politico/AC Milan owner Berlusconi and his Media Partners company threatened a break-away. UEFA panicked and bulked up the Champs League. Now there is a group called the G-14 that represents the BIG CLUBS. G-14 are:
    AC Milan - Italy
    Ajax - Holland
    Dortmund - Germany
    Barcelona - Spain
    Bayern M. - Germany
    Inter - Italy
    Porto - Portugal
    Juve - Italy
    'Pool - England
    ManU - England
    Oly Lyon - France
    PSG - France
    PSV - Holland
    Real Madrid - Spain

Now they are pissed that UEFA is looking to scale back the Champs League.

They pretend to represent all clubs and the good of the sport. They represent the fat cats looking for big money.

3. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    442, I don't understand why you didn't include Sp**s on that list. Afterall they are a "big club" too. I, mean, they almost signed Morientes and were so very close to signing Rivaldo. If those incidents don't prove their ambition to almost sign the best and really be a big club, I don't know what will...

;)

You know, that happened last week and I still get a chuckle about it... HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

4. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    The PHOENIX LEAGUE was even mentioned as late as January 2002. There are only a couple of teams who see this as a good idea and Celtic are usually in that crowd. Either that or them jumping into the premiership, which is a whole different issue.

5. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    I just don't think that Celtic and Rangers will ever move to the Premiership, especially after the idea was tossed around that they might be asked to join but start in the Natiionwide 1st Division. It seems that was a bit of a slap in the face to those two.

Even saying that, I just don't see how they can remain in the SPL and continue with their aspirations to compete on a yearly basis in Europe (UEFA Cup/Champs League). The revenue in the SPL just won't ever be there.

6. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Rangers and Celtic will be playing in England within three years. Probably in Div. 1. They think they will make a quick jump to the Premiership from there (and the Premiership clubs would certainly want them to), but I wouldn't be so sure.

The rest of the SPL has already given notice that they want to split from Celtic/Rangers and with the precedent of Welsh teams playing in England it would be hard to keep them out.

Mostly because there is money to be made with them in the Premiership. If you were Chelsea/'Pool/ManU who would you rather have a game against (from a TV ratings/tix revenue standpoint) West Bromwich Albion or Celtic?

THAT is what will eventually determine whether or not they move, not tradition.

7. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What happened to Celtic & Rangers setting up the so-called "Atlantic League" with other northern European countries such as Holland and Belgium and maybe the Scandinavian countries. I think that this is the most worrying development of all if it came about because if it was any kind o success, then a full European league with all the major football nations would be set up in double quick time.

I can't really see how it would fail with the two Scottish clubs pushing it. There would obviously be much more interest in Celtic vs Ajax than Rangers vs Dunfermline.

8. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Yes, on paper Celtic v. Ajax does sound better. But does Celtic v. Rosenborg? Or Rangers v. Club Bruges? At least Celtic v. Hibs has some history. In theory Arsenal v. Juve sounds pretty good too, but they played in front of friends and family last year.

These SuperLeagues always sound great, but they fail to answer some key issues. If your team stinks it doesn't matter who you are playing. If the game is meaningless, it doesn't matter who you are playing (once the novelty wears off).

9. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Juventus comparison doesn't really work as Juve fans are notorious for not supporting their team for European games. You could have whatever team you like playing Juve mid-week and you'd be lucky to half fill the stadium.

As for meaningless games, aren't all of the games in Scotland effectively meaningless except for the Old Firm derbies? These games more or less decide the outcome of the Championship every year. It's the same with the games between Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV in Holland. You will always have meaningless games in whatever league you have as clubs eventually fall out of the running for the championship. But even combining the Scottish and Dutch leagues would double the vital games for each of the five clubs listed above.

I'm not in favour of "superleagues", but I can see how the money men and even the players would welcome the chance to play against higher calibre opposition week in week out.

10. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    But who says Rangers v. Feyenoord is a big match? Would Dallas Cowboys v. Toronto Argonauts (or whover won the Grey Cup) be a big match?

Just because a general football fan sees it as a big game, the local fan may not care about a big team from another country.

11. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think that the fans of the respective teams would see Rangers vs Feyenoord as a big match. Whatever way you look at it, they are two big names in football and it would be a more competitive match than either team playing a smaller side from their respective leagues.

One of my real problems with the whole idea is that it would erode the value of European football. Over the last few years, we've already seen it with the League Cup, now League Cup games aren't even included in the season ticket because there's not enough interest. European leagues would render the domestic competitions meaningless and even the aspiration to qualify for Europe every year would be gone.