European Super League

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by derek750, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes some sense. But it does beget the question, Would They?
    If the EPL were to lose those 6 teams how strong would it be?
    This does make me think about when there was talk of adding Celtic and Rangers to the Premier League. The SPL screamed foul and convinced them to stay. What has happened to those two elite team subsequently? Are they as competitive on the World stage as they once were?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    When is the next tv deal? I guarantee you the EPL didn’t sign a deal that precludes them from expelling clubs, or their governing bodies from doing so. That cash, even future payments, is in the bank. How it is distributed amongst the remaining teams could be up in the air....but that debate will be had at a table that doesn’t include any of these six clubs. I imagine most of the seats at the table will be much more inclined to distribute it more fairly to avoid the very situation they’ve found themselves in.

Winoman and Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  3. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As a Chelsea fan if 40+ years (match going one) if this goes ahead I'm done, I might go back once to dismantle the place but that would be it! But I also know every other fan (match day attending ones) feel the same. It won't be the league that needs the 6 greedy b*stards, trust me, it will be the other way around!

gunnerfan7 repped this.
  4. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Honest question....when the legal entity known as the Chelsea Football Club applies for entry into the league structure (I think this is how that works) and have to spend a decade clawing their way back up being promoted through the levels....will you come back and watch?

5. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You mean a phoenix club?

6. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I might...but I have no idea what that means. I’m talking about a CFC post the super league’s inevitable demise. I assume they’d have to apply to get back in. And I assume the rest of the 92 or however many clubs are in the English pyramid wouldn’t be too keen on letting them back into the top flight....so when that happens....and CFC is competing with whatever players they can entice with truck loads of money to go 44-0-0 against a bunch of plumbers in some regional pub league...while they work their way back up the pyramid over the course of several or more years....would you go back to watch then? Assuming a clear out of everyone associated with this decision.

7. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    So for half these clubs it's a money grab for teams that can't manage their money well and now need a huge influx of cash to be able to compete or they'll be like the rest of the smaller clubs struggling financially. They obviously don't want that.

For the Americans it's, why are we propping up basically the whole English pyramid and not getting the absolute most money we can for doing so.

For FIFA and CL they need these big clubs because the best players play on them and the most fans watch these big clubs around the world which is what mainly pays the bills.

By saying we'll do this have these clubs gone too far already or is there going to be some kind of walk back negotiation?

In the meantime 1000s of clubs are on the brink of bankruptcy and these greedy cunts are saying give us more. I can totally see why that pisses off Joe average fan. I don't like FIFA. They're corrupt, morally bankrupt assholes, but imo, these big 6 English clubs telling the rest of the English pyramid to pound sand is so shitty I'm actually rooting for FIFA. That's messed up.

I really wish Tottenham wasn't in the middle of this.

superdave and Winoman repped this.
  8. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah I might 'forgive them'. Just to clarify I've been a Chelsea fan for 40+ years, I've many highlights and lowlights! Winning the league is always a massive high but some of my happiest memories include a pitch invasion after a 0-0 draw that meant we stopped from falling into the third division on goal difference, or beating rivals Leeds 4-0 a year later that insured our return to the Premier League (or just Division 1 as it was then). The first season I ever went to Stamford Bridge (with my dad) we finished rock bottom of Div 1 (Premier League) and were of course subsequently relegated.

Winoman and diablodelsol repped this.
  9. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I assure you I am not the chairmen of the Danish FA...

dougtee and Winoman repped this.
  10. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not trying to be confrontational. I am trying to understand people's positions.
    1. Chelsea fans will be so upset with their club that they will not attend games and will destroy Stamford Bridge if Chelsea pulls out of the Champion's League.
    2. Fans believe that EPL, Serie A, etc... will kick their teams out of their domestic leagues because they won't play in the Champion's League.
    3. Fans believe that the super League will not have relegation and thus make the teams less competitive.
    4. Fans believe that the Super League will give their teams so much money that they will be too good for their domestic leagues.

I have not yet made up my mind on this matter but currently I think I should be more upset at the greedy bureaucrats (FIFA, UEFA) than the greedy entrepreneurs (The Super League Clubs).

yurch10 and CyphaPSU repped this.
  11. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand what you are saying and the atmosphere will def. take a huge and possibly mortal blow, but haven't we all been watching games for over a year now without fans in the stands?

Will you as a fan show up to intimidate any "non-fans" from attending these games?

12. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The proposed Super League is a closed shop, simply NOT acceptable on its own.

Winoman repped this.
  13. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    There is going to far in a negotiation....and then there’s this. I truly believe the people that run these clubs thought they were way more powerful, and in a much stronger position, then they truly are. They have now ********ed around...they’re about to find out.

14. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We have all been watching games with no fans........ it's been sh*t no? So how would it compare when the real football gets fans back in the stadiums? It won't be 'Super' for very long will it?

15. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    political rohrschach test

16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't FIFA or UEFA just ban players for life from playing in any non-Super League competitions? Perhaps it would implicate antitrust laws...

17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA/UEFA could make moves to punish players who join the breakaway organization.

18. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Why would they do that. I believe I’ve read you’re an attorney, correct? I’ve made the point that there is no way that these player/club contracts would be enforceable of the clubs left FIFA’s structure. I cannot imagine these contracts not including dispute resolution clauses that either give FIFA’s dispute resolution chamber or CAS jurisdiction. Unless I’m missing something. No way either of those entities would rule in the clubs favor. FIFA...never. CAS - would be making themselves irrelevant by doing so.

Edit: I mean ban them first. Give them the option to walk and join a regulated club. Then bam the rest of they fail to do so.

19. usnroach

usnroach Member+

Jul 5, 2009
    SoCal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For sure. The organized supporters at Juventus have been fighting with management for a couple years now to include silence in their areas or not even showing up.

20. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solid point about entrepreneurs vs. bureaucrats. Be careful, though--bureaucrats hold cultural privilege in the current climate...

Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  21. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    UEFA has just announced any player that plays in this piece of sh*the will no longer be allowed to play for their national team (good move). Tomorrow the 14 'other' Premier League clubs meet, I expect they will vote to kick out these 6 and then that will be the end of it.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  22. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Well the UCL semis are cancelled, PSG wins by default. This sucks.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The loss of revenue - for all parties - if the leagues and UEFA kick out these clubs has to be insanely high.

I got no more insight into the backroom convos here than having binge watched Ted Lasso, but I can't imagine there is not a serious amount of negotiating that is going to on here.

Is it a negotiating ploy by the 12? Is there a play to grab greater control/portion of TV $? I got no idea, but the loss of $ for EPL, Serie A, Liga, and the 12 clubs would be huge in the short-medium term - tho perhaps the 12 are counting on an OTT Streamer TV rights bidding war to make it worthwhile (have they made any announcement of TV partners? - I haven't seen anything but have only read a few summaries.)

FC Tallavana repped this.
  24. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Has this officially been announced?

25. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights

Pl@ymaker and dams repped this.