European Super League

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by derek750, Apr 18, 2021.

1. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    these owners just frankly forgot who their customers are to keep them happy.

even though these clubs have a world wide fan base - to ignore the sentiment of the domestic fan was just stupid.

Ceres and russ repped this.
  2. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Have you seen what's going on in Manchester right now? I don't think those people are 'the players'.

3. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This exactly, did these clubs really forget about the 75'000 people that turn up every week? They seemed to!

4. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    Glazers selling?

5. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henry and Woodward and Joel Glazer just thought that the fans would support this move - they just greatly misread the situation - which happens when you are disconnected from the situation.

Marketing of the product 101 involves product surveys and prototyping and so forth (think of “concept cars”) ...

Bankers, hedge funds, etc. don’t typically think this way. That was a big mistake they made here.

6. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You still don't think the fans have any power? This so called 'Super League' is the cause of all this, first Chelsea fans prevent the teams from getting into Stamford Bridge when they played Brighton and now Utd fans are doing the same, you think it's still wise for the owners to ignore their fans (the match going ones), this is the real reason the Super League failed, the fans don't want it! End of story.

7. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    I think players have a lot of power and fans have a bit. I also think a club owner who relies on his club for soft power in London society is different than a kroenke or glazer

8. bct81

bct81 Member+

United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes they were thinking of the TV global fan - without reminding themselves where the base of support begins and always stays intact.

my analogy about the Packers fan is that those same Wisconsin residents who show up to tailgate and attend a Packers game in the frigid cold of late December and January - are who sustains that franchise when they are not doing well.

those fans outside Old Trafford are the ones that aren’t going to leave Manchester and who support United through thick and thin.

maybe John Henry should remember how New Englanders would hang him if he ever thought to screw with Fenway Park.

9. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Talking of Abramovich (which is I'm guessing who you mean), since taking over at Stamford Bridge he has 1. Invested in players 2. Developed Stamford Bridge into a world class stadium 3. Built a state of the art training facility 4. Created a world class women's team 5. Used Chelsea Football Club as a source of good in the local area (players visit local schools and hospitals). And if you've ever seen him when he attends a match you can see how much of a fan he is!

Whatever you 'think' his motives are one thing is certain - you can't deny that his ownership of the club has been nothing short of 'superb'.

We will forgive him his misdemeanor over the so called 'Superleague', as he has already admitted the club made a mistake.

The Glazers? I'm not so sure the Utd fans are quite as happy with them no?

schrutebuck repped this.
  10. 1388842452199649282 is not a valid tweet id

1388881285876174850 is not a valid tweet id

11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    LOL. You will forgive him because he keeps your team winning.

12. :D

superdave repped this.
  13. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Ironic that an oligarch invested in improving the business and Glazer behaved like an oligarch during Russian privatization.

14. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I forgive him because if all he has done for not only the football club but also the local community. Unlike the Glazers he is the optimum if a perfect club owner.

15. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Of all the injustices and over reach of power in every corner of this Earth and adults that watch other adults play a game throwing a tantrum is what captures headlines.

To be clear, the super league was a bad idea but FFS I bet these fans don’t protest the slave labor built stadiums for the WC in quatar. I wonder if they organized their protest in their slave labor built phones?

We are a doomed species

freisland and theboogeyman repped this.
  16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    As someone who's lived in both Europe and the USA, the key difference is that in Europe, people still (until recently, it's changing) felt in control of their capitalism.

In the USA, people gave up long ago. Now, the majority think it's the corporations who create jobs and everything that is good on Earth. The brainwashing has been completed.

largegarlic and USA-Zebuel repped this.
  17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s some poor schmuck of an American journalist named Matt Gertz. Ever time Matt Gaetz does something stupid Gertz tweets something like, oh shit. Or, today is going to be a bad day.

nbarbour and feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  18. FC Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus refused reintegration measures of UEFA for the esl clubs.
    The other 9 have committed to the existing competitions and agreed to give up 5% of their UEFA revenues for next season.
    The 9 will pay 15 million as a sign of goodwill for children, youth and football.

19. This all reminds me of what happened when a Turkish minister without permission drove from Germany to Rotterdam and was cornered and put on the way back to Germany by the Rotterdam police.
    All of a sudden the police headquarters of Rotterdam was inundated by angry calls frominhabitants in Turkey.
    They were puzzled ....as they were Rotterdam, USA:ROFLMAO:
    American town Rotterdam flooded with angry Turkish phone ...
    [​IMG]https://nltimes.nl/2017/03/22/ameri...urkish-phone-calls-political-spat-netherlands
    The police department of the small American town of Rotterdam were surprised las week when one of their phone numbers suddenly received dozens of calls from furious Turks shouting, swearing or singing nationalist songs at them. It seems the town, with 29 thousand inhabitants and about 5,700 kilometers away from the Dutch Rotterdam, unwittingly became involved in the diplomatic fallout between ...

20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rotterdam NY has enough to do with meth and opioid calls.

ttrevett repped this.
  21. Really?

22. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's in Upstate NY ,so yes.
    Source:Live in Upstate NY.

superdave repped this.
  23. Glad we overhere in Rotterdam NL only have to deal with billions of €€ worth of coke being shipped through our harbour.
    Guess the mob in the Wire complaining about my Rotterdam destroying their future just missed the opportunities modernization provides:D.

ttrevett repped this.