European Super League

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by derek750, Apr 18, 2021.

1. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 derek750, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2021
    Discuss!

2. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Chelsea are looking to join the European Super League. Has some drastic repercussions because the players could be banned from international competitions. Pulisic should look for a move away if this comes to fruition

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    If CP gets kicked out of UCL and WC qualifiers due to this Super league crap, as well as other USMNT players, I’ll be livid.
    Most of my anger will be directed at the 12 “founding” clubs, rightfully so. This announcement is garbage and a slap in the face to the sport

nobody repped this.
  4. RecLeague Super Sub

Fulham
    United States
    Jun 5, 2019
    Yeah, I’d advise him to go back to BvB or go for Bayern or PSG - although who knows, they may join superleague after all is said and done, although I doubt it

5. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea fans are pissed about this

6. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    there is a fiction at play between the money and the culture and this might truly upset that delicate balance

7. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Twellman literally does not follow the Premiership as a job. He does a handful of FA Cup matches a year. No surprise he's not as up on the research as Chelsea fans or big YA fans.

8. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have felt for some time that the trend is moving away from international soccer. We’ll see what happens.

9. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Of course this has to happen right when the USMNT suddenly has several players on the sort of teams that would be included in a European Super League.

gunnerfan7 repped this.
  10. Vorian Atreides

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    Sep 23, 2018
    Gee....people in power (UEFA and FIFA) cry that the new members can be punished for the creation of a new league. The truth is they don't want to lose the milk cow. This sounds like the NCAA and top 5 football leagues.:eek::eek::eek:

11. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007

gets at what i was thinking in a much better way

12. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Hard to imagine a reality where the top 400 or so soccer players aren’t allowed to play in the international game

13. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yes, I am sure they are whining about their culture and tradition and forgetting how they were garbage for decades until a rich Russian turd bought their club to launder his money through.

I follow a Citeh fan on Twitter for other reasons and they are posting like this has ruined the character and honor of their beloved club. Yeah, but the Abu Dhabi takeover was fine and dandy!

The English are just the ********ing worst about these kind of things. It's all about the money, always has, always will, and you can accept and understand that (especially if your club is the beneficiary of said system) or you're just lying to yourself.

I don't have super strong feelings about all this, to be honest. The breakoff of the Premier League was going to ruin football, the death of the European Cup was going to ruin football, the Europa League was going to ruin football, World Cup expansion was going to ruin football, etc. Football is still here. We'll be fine. Just get all those rich assholes in a room somewhere and work it out.

14. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. FIFA doesn’t want a WC without Messi or Ronaldo, etc. this is all a negotiation starter. But my interest in the sport just took a major hit.

Winoman repped this.
  15. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Yup. Everyone would roll their eyes and act like it's almost as dumb as the Olympics U-23ish tournament. Would be a good way to kill the World Cup, if it's the French B team facing off with the Spanish B team for the "World" title. It'd cement the supremacy of the club game, and advertiser money would flee.

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    At this stage, Messi and Ronaldo are irrelevant.

17. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    European pols will come out hard against this. It won’t happen.

18. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from the business of the club is a very cynical and post-colonial/capitalist viewpoint of the situation. Most or all of these teams started as clubs -- collectives that grew organically from communities and social groups. Chelsea, to its eternally soulless credit, did in fact start as something of a commercial enterprise, while Arsenal were started by munitions factory workers and Man City was originally a humanitarian organization founded by members of a Manchester church.

This is certainly a step away from those roots, and anyone who is disgusted by it is certainly justified in their reasoning. UEFA and FIFA are gonna rain down mighty legal hell and I doubt this gets off the ground as its proposed today but it's certainly a greedy, money hungry idea that's not going away.

19. bittercask

bittercask Member

Dec 25, 2020
    yea i don't think Fifa banning players from the World Cup, who are still under contract, holds any water whatsoever.

personally i would enjoy seeing a champions league-level league, as long as it contained some sort of relegation/promo entry. The rich clubs continue to get richer and the gap isn't closing at all. I don't see why people think it's entertaining watching Bayern or PSG walk to the title for the next 20 years. There is something to be said about having the best play the best, as opposed to Messi racking up goals against minnows.

20. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    It hasn't always been about the money. That's a very 21st century take on football. Clubs only became about the money when deep pockets investors started seeing the profits that can be made in sport franchises. I don't know if it is better or worse, probably depends on your viewpoint and age, but it's certainly not the way that clubs were traditionally run.

superdave repped this.
  21. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    These players signed contracts to play football. Those clubs have decided to play a different sport. Those players will be able to walk if they want to. It will be the biggest free agency bonanza in the history of sports. Some may decide to play this non football league playing this non football sport for the money....but I suspect most won’t. They’ll ultimately have to replace these players with....other players that have to throw away their international careers to join these clubs.

this venture will fail. No matter how well funded. And these clubs will eventually beg their FA’s for permission to return. And the fair weather fans of these clubs...the ones that drove them to be international brands, will be nowhere when it happens. And the fans that would have ridden their teams into relegation oblivion, who absolutely hate this idea, will be gone too.

If this happens....in a decade....most of these clubs will cease to exist.

Ceres repped this.
  22. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    If this is indicative of the masterminds behind this initiative...it won’t take a decade.

if you don’t let the players from our 12 teams play in your tournament, we’ll have our own National team tournament! With the players made up from our 12 teams! It will be super!

RalleeMonkey and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you realize that this is all about the top teams insuring:

1. they cannot get relegated out of it (gee Arsenal looks pretty poor the last few years) ...
    2. revenue sharing is rebalanced to pull in more themselves
    3. teams not wanting to have their players play against "lower tier" competition.

this is about money for certain clubs at the expense of growing the game everywhere.

I cannot stand FIFA and UEFA at certain times ... but this will further weaken the weak clubs and even more so at a very difficult time (COVID).

another issue that we are not discussing of course is the following:

NCAA - no pro/rel
    NBA - no pro/rel
    NFL - no pro/rel
    MLB - no pro/rel
    MLS - no pro/rel

JP Morgan - backing the new league (USA)
    Stan Kroenke - Arsenal (USA)
    Glazer family - Man U (USA)
    Fenway Sports - Liverpool (USA)
    Elliott Management - AC Milan (USA)

see any common thread here?

this looks to me like the formation of a new monopoly (yes I realize FIFA is a monopoly but so is the United Nations).

the fans are going to have to be the ones to "bust the trust".

24. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    One more thought...if this thing does happen....it will be a fantastic opportunity (and sadly will likely be waited) by the remaining clubs to reset the financial rules they operate under. Football has seen a massive concentration of wealth towards the select few. This is an opportunity for the balance of the clubs to put rules in place to improve the level of competitiveness up and down their pyramids. Greater equity in revenue sharing as an example. They could enact these free of the powerful monied interest represented by these breakaway clubs. And they’ll get to set the rules when these clubs inevitably come begging.

@bungadiri

this discussion is probably deserving of its own YA thread, as it affects multiple players and their status with both their clubs and National teams. I’ve been posting on this site for over twenty years and haven’t started one yet...so I see no reason to break this streak now.

25. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    will be interesting to see what (if anything) Pulisic comments on here.

interesting that Chelsea is going with the breakaway - but Dortmund (where he got his big chance) is not.