European Qualifiers : Italy vs. Armenia & Finland

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by indestructible, Sep 4, 2019.

1. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I agree...the statement was more hopeful than anything else--the hope being that we get something special in attack. Let's be honest with what we have right now. We are very ordinary in attack. I only see Chiesa as the guy that can be special.

2. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I think we have a large enough sample size to see that Belotti is just an above-average striker. He's not the guy that Toro refused to sell for 100M a couple years back. I hope you're right but I just don't see it.

r0adrunner repped this.
  3. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Obviously, Belotti doesn't have the ability to lift a squad by himself. He will need the midfield to be special and his wingers to give him service, but I think with the ten guys behind him playing inspirational soccer, he has more than enough to score important goals and help Italy win a tournament. I mean France won with a striker who is very average and didn't even score a goal at the last WC. Belotti can be the starting CF on an international winning squad. I believe that 100%.

I would think Zaniolo has a very good chance of making the squad since he's a starter on a big team where he's an influential presence. Kean is probably fighting Balotelli/Zaza/Lasagna for that third CF spot. He's a long shot IMO. And Everton isn't doing him any favors.

calabrese8 repped this.
  4. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    France also had Mbappe and Griezzman in attack and Pogba and Kante in the midfield as the "supporting cast"...big difference in quality. I think if Belotti really was all that special he would have been pried away from Toro by now.

5. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    And while France won the WC, they lost the Euro's to a Portugal side that this Italy squad would beat 4 out of 5 times. I'm sorry, but while Italy is not the favorite, they can win the Euro's. Like Indestructable said...its wide open next summer.

6. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My reasoning is that it fits very well with our current personnel :

Starting from the back, with the exception of Romagnoli, all the Italian CB’s play or have played in teams that use 3 men backlines. Bonucci, Acerbi, Izzo, Mancini (5 if you include Chiellini)

D’Amrosio has played wide in a 3-5-2 at Torino and will do so again this year Inter. Same for Biraghi. This will also allow Mancini to bring in Lazzarri (who I was surprised wasn’t included) Another 3-5-2 winger for Lazio. If Mancini insists on using Florenzi, I’d rather have him working the wing than being in a backline of 4. At least there he does less damage

The current mids are very strong in possession and passing, but this generation suffers from not having a true mediano difensivo. Adding an extra CB in the back line gives them more coverage when teams are attacking.

I agree that this runs a risk of the attack being less dangerous because we are removing a player, but I don’t find the front 3 convincing anyway. I’d rather have a more robust midfield

Falc repped this.
  7. FireTrapatoni

FireTrapatoni Member+

AS Roma
    Italy
    Jun 17, 2004
    We have 18 goals- the most of any team in qualifying. I don't expect us to score at that rate against the better teams but you haven't been watching Italy in recent eras if you think this is the worst side we have had in terms of finishing chances.

calabrese8 and Rosay repped this.
  8. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We need to re hire Ventura and go back to the 4-2-4 ASAP lol

gumbacicc repped this.
  9. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I haven't watched yet, but I do not hate that suggestion at all. It should at least be a formation they're versed in when necessary. Totally going against our roots to appease the whingers who cried when we shut it down isn't the best plan, in my mind. We need to connect to our roots again and have tactical variety arise out of that foundation.

Stamos repped this.
  10. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    I actually think Belotti is fully healthy for the first time in a long time. If he started that game, I think it would have been an even easier time. Immobile is terrible despite heading it in from close range today. There was one play in the first half where Pellegrini put it on his head and it was an easy goal. He redirected it wide.

I like Sensi. He's very useful and skilled. A strong box to box player. He forced a miracle save in the first half and also skimmed the post on another shot. I know he gave up the penalty...that was a clumsy challenge..but Biraghi was beaten pretty badly to the inside and has some of that blame.

This team today was close to a B side and they still won. Florenzi clearly is not a great left back and Izzo is not great at getting forward. So we were lacking some width today. Jorginho still doesn't impress me despite his nice penalty. He slows play too much and he had a horrible giveaway straight down the middle of the field. I think we need a better regista than him but Mancini seems to like him.

I thought Pellegrini played very well today and that is nice for the future. I think we have to figure out how to get Bernardeschi more involved as well.

I'm more optimistic than most. I think there is a lot of young talent to mold here and we certainly could make a deep run next year.

11. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No hate at all. I've been thinking that for a while now. This side doesnt have the fullbacks to be able to effectively field a 4/4/2.
    Insigne, Bernardeschi, Chiesa, Zaniolo and Kean can man the wing with one playing support to a natural #9.

12. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The last time I was happy at how we played was Euro 2016. Things are going well under Mancini now but we haven't fully been tested with the exception of that last game vs Portugal where I believed we controlled most of the game very well. Conte made the most of a limited side and it was far from boring or too defensive. Had he stayed on I don't think we would have missed the world cup. He surely wouldn't have played a suicidal formation with only DDR and Verretti as 2 midfielders vs Spain, that's guaranteed. 3-5-2 doesn't have the be the only, but at least one you can pull out when you need. Mancini's teams have transitioned to this when needed so I think we'll see it where appropriate.

gumbacicc repped this.
  13. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I watched the match this evening and damn are we unimaginative. Credit to Mancini for using young guys and having them play on the same page but going back to all of the great creative players we had over the years, this team has nothing. Hopefully someone will develop along.

As for the 3-back formation, the simple reason is that we have no fullbacks. As we lack that great no. 10 of years past, we have no real no. 3 either. Fachetti had Cabrini has his heir who then was followed by Maldini. We are nearing two decades where no one has filled that role. I disagree that it makes us less offensive. The extra midfielder allows us to push on the flanks.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  14. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    The "strength" of this squad in attack is the wing play by players more comfortable playing on the outside of a front three than in the middle, i.e., Chiesa, Insigne, Bernardeschi. If we switch to a front two, now you force at least one of these guys out of their respective comfort roles into a front two which in large part takes away their ability to run at defenders with pace.

I understand that a back three works where you have a healthy Chiellini flanked by Bonucci and Romagnoli. However, where our big issue against big sides will be the ability to break them down, I don't see the point in pulling a striker and going to a front two; especially where you don't have a great scoring threat coming from the central of midfield with an expected starting three of Verratti, Jorginho and Barella.

Mancini, to his credit, has led this side to a perfect record in qualifying incorporating some promising youth players and at times playing some good football (though, admittedly, we didn't see it the past two matches). I don't think it's a great idea to scrap his plans just yet.

calabrese8 repped this.
  15. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sensi had a good match he needs to start from now on. Also one of the best performances I've seen from Barella.

Excellent finish from Immobile and Belotti's lack of composure in front of goal is a concern.

Much better off without the evil midget in the side today that's for sure. Sensi is a much more versatile and creative option. Tyrion should piss off back to GOT.

16. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I'm just curious...do you get a different broadcast than everyone else? Sensi was singlehandedly at fault for the goal we conceded, not just by coughing us possession, but then by running back and making a stupid challenge on Pukki that was unnecessary given that he was surrounded by Azzurri defenders which gifted Finland the penalty. He was also wasteful in possession. How in the world can anyone argue that he is a good player but Verratti isn't?

Stamos repped this.
  17. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dont feed the troll.

gumbacicc repped this.
  18. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    My thoughts exactly. He's not even trying to hide his trolling anymore with semi-logical arguments. It's just become silly ranting for attention, and some sadomasochistic need to be insulted by strangers on the internet. I will not bother responding to his posts ever again.

19. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Look a bit closer, I'm not the only poster who has praised him. Also I've checked the pagelle and despite that bad error you mentioned the pundits are rating his performance.

He's a different sort of player but I'm comfortable stating that he's better than Verratti. He is much more creative and has a much more powerful shot and goal-scoring ratio. Verratti and Jorginho is redundant. A Sensi and Jorginho combination has a lot more to offer the team.

20. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Uh yeah you should stick to the unimaginative tripe that fits your narrow pre-conceived notions. There's certainly plenty of it that's being served up around here. Meanwhile I'll continue to stay 2 to 3 steps ahead and when you come around to my way of thinking which always invariably happens I'll do my best to remain modest.

21. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    one day I would love to meet you all. we should have a bs soccer thread party italy edition

totti fan, calabrese8 and Deleted User x repped this.
  22. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pagelle's give Verratti good ratings? "Fake news"

Pagelle's give Sensi good ratings? "AH SEE I WAS RIGHT" (Most pagelle's agree he didn't have a good second half)

Commie Fan actively cheers against certain Italian talent so he can be right on a message board filled with strangers. Like a typical communist, he cuts off his nose to spite his face.

23. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I’m coming to Toronto next May for a hockey tournament...

Rosay repped this.
  24. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    beauty we should meet up

25. turco3

turco3 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Big fan of ‘Dessert Plus’ in Woodbridge — if you have the time and means definitely check it out although there are plenty of Italian restaurants Downtown Toronto.

calabrese8 and Rosay repped this.