European Powerhouse club + their fans Question

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Catfish, Oct 14, 2003.

1. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's not the point. The point is Bayern went to Ismael and his agent first before talking to Werder Bremen. That's tampering. The player decided he wanted to move before his club knew what was going on.

In every other nation, that's illegal. Chelsea were just punished for doing the same thing.

Oh, but not Bayern. The DFB/DFL changed the rule rather than punish it's "special club".

Bremen now has to decide whether they want the money or an unhappy player who will probably sign with Bayern in a year's time anyhow.

Had Bayern followed protocol, Bremen wouldn't be in this situation.

But they are because that's exactly where Bayern wanted them to be.

I agree with you in one case. Bremen has to decide. Bayern tried to do the same thing with Christian Woerns back in 2000. Dortmund told Bayern to f#ck off and told Woerns to shut up and play.

Bremen, I guess, doesn't have the courage to do the same thing.

However, that doesn't make Bayern's underhanded tactics anymore palatable.

I'm not brainwashed by the media to just accept it as many others seem to be.

2. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

hey atleast im not as bad as jonam, though! :D

besides, im excused - i only managed to see episode 3 on saturday... which nerd would actually wait that long? :rolleyes:

BTW: you ARE emperor - you already have power over the hapless jedis, and you will certainly get overthrown sooner or later by one of your apprentices! :p

3. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I only saw it last week myself. Have to admit, I'm a "Star Wars" fan myself!!

4. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    I don't think it can be helped. Who all saw the original in the 70's ....in the theater. Everybody raise their hand.

[​IMG]

I though 6 was all right. Not awesome, but not bad. I enjoyed it.

* DF covers his face in preparation of being hit by the purists

EDIT: congrats footyfan1 for breaking 1000 posts. :)

5. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by footyfan1
    Sagnol wasn't known world-wide before he went to Bayern, but he was well-known in Europe. The reason Bayern got Sagnol is why I think they are the best-run club in Europe.
    They know their football and they strike before these players get ultra-expensive.
    Kuffour developed through Bayern's system and was loaned to FCN for one season.
    Very true. This is where Bayern deserves praise. Some of those players move to Bayern to make their name. Brazil never looked at Giovane Elber either until he moved to Bayern.
    I'd actually consider Makaay one. He can't help the fact that RvN is his teammate.........

Yes, I think so. The passion of Bayern's management is the game and excellence in the game.

Unlike the former management of my favorite club, who were more businessmen than anything. The idiots who ran my club into the ground were so arrogant as to think football is so simple that any problem could be solved simply by throwing money at it.

This is why I will tell anyone who will listen that we fans of Dortmund have no one to blame but ourselves.

Only a very few spoke up when things began to go wrong. The others didn't listen.

They just trusted these guys all the way to oblivion.

Back in the late 90's and early 2000s, Dortmund and Bayern were even. What you see now is the difference in the competence level of the management of the two clubs.

And it's why I'll also tell anyone who will listen that despite the underhanded tactics they've used AT TIMES to remain on top, I believe Bayern are the best run club in Europe and possibly the world.

6. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Think they learned their lesson? You think they would take a look at the Bayern business model. Now..I agree..Bayern probably do some things under the table, but I do think they have a good eye for players......and coaches.
    I think a lot of us were floored by the decline( I want to use demise) of Dortmund. They were the only team I personally feared in the Bundesliga.

7. keller

keller New Member

May 20, 2003
    On The Galactica
    Isn't it great to see that all the Bayern fans who are posting on here actually come from Munich. I think that reputation for having glory fans from all over is a ridiculous slur!!

8. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    :rolleyes:

9. keller

keller New Member

May 20, 2003
    On The Galactica
    I would rank it third after Empire and Star Wars (sorry can't get round to calling it "A New Hope", saw it in '77 when it was still just Star Wars)

10. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I understand where you're coming from footyfan...but Bayern, despite their position and power aren't doing it to the extremes that other European clubs are doing it. Like many mentioned before, there are great qualities to the club's management and they have and enforce positive intentions.

They are not the monopoly you are making it out to be, at least not to that harsh extent.

By the way, agree on Revenge of the Sith, awesome movie, I have it tied for the second best of all 6 with the original right behind Empire. Long live Obi Wan, the greatest Jedi of all time. HAHAH :D

11. scorpio81

scorpio81 Member

Sep 21, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  12. keller

keller New Member

May 20, 2003
    On The Galactica
    I've read them, and your point is???? Still doesn't change the fact that you have all chosen a succesfull team to support (which is so easy to do!). Why not 1860?? no its because of Bayern's success. It would be great to read one day of someone falling in love with say 1860 or Unterhaching after visiting or living in Bavaria. Some of the arguments for supporting Bayern in that article were abit hard to swallow especially the one saying "i started to support Bayern not realising how succesfull they were", come on!!

13. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Aren't doing what to the extremes other clubs are doing??

Poaching players from their closest competition??

Show me who's doing it worse. I had this discussion with someone else on another forum who tried to tell me that Dortmund were doing it just as much as Bayern. I believe the count was something like 14 to 2 Bayern.

I've mentioned the great qualities of Bayern's management. I've said I believe they are the best in Europe and possibly the world.

However, that doesn't excuse the underhanded tactics they utilize at times to keep themselves on top.

I disagree. Perhaps you need a closer look at them. Anytime someone gets too close to threatening their dominace, Bayern attacks.

Ask any Leverkusen or Bremen fan.

And if Schalke gets too close, watch and see how long it takes Bayern to go after their players.

Dortmund were the only ones to successfully fight them off when they came after Sammer in the 90s and Woerns in 2000. But as I said in another message, we have no one to blame for our downfall but ourselves. Not Bayern.

I AGREE!!! :D

14. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    :rolleyes:

Perhaps you can't comprehend any reason for supporting Bayern that doesn't deal with glory hunting. That concerns you and your simplistic, reductionist way of thinking. It's not our fault. Ugh...I hate haughty, ignorant know-it-alls. Maybe you're still bitter from your Canaries being relegated.

15. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I thought Revenge of the Sith was total crap. What a silly movie. Bad dialogue, bad acting, over-reliance on special effects to save what would otherwise hav been a real yawner of a flic. That's a couple of hours of my life that I'll never get back.

16. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Your sarcasm does nothing to mask your illogic. No BVB fan on these boards comes from Dortmund. One Schalke fan lives in Gelsenkirchen. What do you say to their fans?

In a perfect world, we'd all support the clubs from our hometowns or their vicinities. But that's not the way it is. Your vision is clouded in yellow and green. Personally, I've moved around so much that I don't consider myself to be from anywhere. What team would you approve of me supporting, sir? Please do tell.

17. keller

keller New Member

May 20, 2003
    On The Galactica
    Nope. as i said, very easy to pick a successful team and them come out with a torrent of bollocks on how they became "your team"

And nope again, do you really think we didn't expect it??

18. keller

keller New Member

May 20, 2003
    On The Galactica
    This forum is about European Powerhouse clubs and their fans. BVB are no powerhouse any more, and Schalke have hardly set the world alight since the 30's save for a U.E.F.A. Cup and a couple of german cups.

S.p.V.g.g. Unterhaching, they need all the support they can get. They fill all the criteria you are looking for, german, bavarian.

19. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm sure WBA expected it too.

And what the **** reason would I have to lie about why I chose to support Bayern? To look good in front of a bunch of football fans on the Internet?? I'm not denying Bayern has a bunch of bandwagon fans who support the club because of its success. But I'm not one of them. And for you to accuse people of lying and making up bull****, well...that's just your cynical Weltanschauung coming out. It's unfortunate, really.

20. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    You have totally missed the point.

Why do you assume "Bavarian" is a criterion I looked for? It wasn't.

Can't you see there's something intrinsically WRONG about the assumption that the fans of European powerhouses are automatically gloryhunters if they aren't originally from the area?

21. keller

keller New Member

May 20, 2003
    On The Galactica
    I didn't accuse people of lying, just that some liked to romanticise their reasons for supporting Bayern that were not about them being successful. How do people from other parts of the world find out about clubs like Bayern?? Its through them being very succesfull and so being able to attract support. If they had continued like they had for most of their history up to the 60's no-one outside of Germany would probably have heard of them. Thats what i'm trying to point out.

Yes we may be relegated, but i live in the past mate, still remembering a day when a certain club underestimated us in the U.E.F.A. cup. Norwich who? they shouted.

22. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I wholly agree with what you're saying. Bayern have thousands fans who support them BECAUSE of their success. I'm just trying to make sure you understand that some people outside of Munich would have supported Bayern regardless of their success. Perhaps these sorts of people make out the vast minority of foreign Bayern fans. Most likely, even. Personally, as I stated in another thread, I started to support Bayern because that's who I found out Kahn played for. If I discovered he played for Gladbach or Hannover, I would be a Gladbach or Hannover fan right now. Far-fetched story? Unlikely? Perhaps. But honestly, when I discovered Bayern Munich were as successful as they were, I thought to myself, "oh great, I've chosen to support the New York Yankees of German football." But I stayed with them regardless. I agree that cases like mine are rare, but nonetheless true.

And I don't mean to make fun of Norwich City, I have nothing against them. Cheers for being the first English team (only English team?) to beat Bayern at Olympic Stadium.

23. keller

keller New Member

May 20, 2003
    On The Galactica
    Yes i totally understand where you are coming from and respect that.

And thanks for keeping us as the only English team to win in your backyard. Gets us a mention on T.V. everytime you play an english club! :)

24. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    footyfan, I was comparing Bayern to other powerhouse clubs in Europe, who do what you accuse Bayern of a 100 times worse, plus they don't share the positive qualities that Bayern do have.

People who don't support successful teams will always feel that way towards those who do, no matter what their reasons are for cheering for that club. Just the way it is.

On these boards, I can't really think of many people or anyone at all for that matter, who supports Bayern because of their successes. Most of us have an attachment to the club or have lived in German in that area. What if Bayern didn't turn out to be the success they became to be and another team did that? I know I would still support the team.

25. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tell yourself that if you need to. The ONLY ones who come close to poaching on Bayern's level is Real Madrid. Oh! And Chelsea!

Again, keep telling yourself that.

Haven't you read any of my other messages on other threads??? I USED TO BE A BAYERN FAN!!!

I only turned against them because their blatant cheating and blatant favoritism from the DFB made me sick!!!!

Others can, but I can't support a club that has blatantly cheated and been favored by the country's governing body over such a length of time to remain on top.

You don't have any argument from me there. I didn't make those type of accusations. That was "keller", not me.

As I've said on other boards, I know many people who know the things I know about Bayern and support them anyhow. I just couldn't do it myself. I'm no angel, but I don't support cheaters either.

I know many who were raised to support Bayern. But they have more than their share of "Bandwagon Fans".

In Germany, it doesn't help that the press "brainwashes" the entire country to believe that Bayern IS SUPPOSED to be on top.

However, I don't think that should take away from the fact that the club does have hundreds of thousands of TRULY devoted fans.

But as any winning club does, they also have hundreds of thousands of bandwagon jumpers.

That's not Bayern's fault and I never got where the other guy was going with his criticism.