European club matches in USA stadiums, a market?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by feyenoordsoccerfan, Jul 31, 2017.

1. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    The way I see it, if you're going to do it, might as well do it right. I'd much rather see a competitive game between Euro sides on U.S. soil than these spectacle friendlies. And in terms of ethically screwing with domestic soccer, I think pulling MLS teams and players to participate in these mid-season friendlies is worse than the basic concept of foreign teams competing in the U.S. And let's face it, MLS has a small, but hardcore audience. They're not going to stop watching if we could somehow get one or two competitive European games a year. And a huge chunk of the crowd for these hypothetical games are not going to watch MLS regardless.

Guardian of the Galaxy repped this.
  2. Guardian of the Galaxy

Dec 7, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I generally have no interest in friendlies and neither do most sports fans. We want matches that matter. But when it comes to international games, we will show up in droves to see the biggest stars and clubs on the planet, friendly or not. That much goes without saying because it's the only way we will ever get to see these stars unless we travel to their countries to see them.

3. Geauxlden

Geauxlden New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Apr 30, 2017
    American football was my primary sport growing up and I was very much against the NFL playing regular season games in London and Mexico City, but I've come to accept it as part of the age that we now live in.My family and I went to the Manchester Derby friendly in Houston and had a great time, so I'd be in favor of meaningful games coming to the US, I just wouldn't want it to be something that disrupted the normal flow of the season. A beginning of the year or end of the year "super cup" type game would be best in my opinion.

4. How about a CL Final or a EL Final. Fans of the teams most of the times have to fly in anyway, so it wouldnot rob fans from a home ground match.
    If UEFA is smart and wants money, they could put those up in an auction for the highest bidder. So if an USA stadium puts in the highest offer, Euro stadiums cannot complain.
    I guess the biggest stadiums in the USA would be able to fill the stands for that. The only obstacle could be the set of requirements the UEFA has for stadium to be considered a final place.
    Would it be something the USA cities with big stadiums go after to get it?
    I wonder how high the attendances are in Europe for the domestic Super Cups. If I'm right the one for the European Super Cup isnot that great. I bet in the USA it must be possible to at least double it and perhaps even triple.

5. Geauxlden

Geauxlden New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Apr 30, 2017
    Selfishly I would love to have a CL or EL final but I just couldn't really see it happening so I'd be happy with a Super Cup type of match. I think attendance would be great for any match that involved elite teams from the EPL or La Liga. Probably would be good for the top 2-3 teams from Germany, France and Italy, in my opinion.

6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, a UEFA final would succeed in the US, but why would UEFA do it? There would be much resistance from all around Europe, and it's not going to make much difference on the revenue side.

7. But it's a different thing for the Euro Super Cup (coming one between Real and ManUnited).
    It isnot very much in demand among supporters. I cannot recall it being sold out, even in the tiny weeny little Monaco Stadium. Can't imagine an uproar if it went over the Ocean.

8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Super Cup got over 50,000 in Tbilisi in 2015 but didn't do well in Norway last year. We'll see how tomorrow goes in Macedonia. Maybe people wouldn't care too much to see it moved to the US. I think perhaps it could most upset the two clubs involved. Imagine one of them has a long-scheduled summer tour in Asia, and then, oops, they win the Europa League and now they have to add a trip to America to their preseason travel.

9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    UEFA's current policy seems to be to host it in "smaller" countries that are less likely to host a major European final (although I see Cardiff hosted a few years ago). Although I'm sure it would do well in the US, it's possible there would be resistance from such UEFA members.

Paul Berry repped this.
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly enough, the French did this in 2012:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Trophée_des_Champions

They drew about 15k in RBA, in what was an under-publicized match between Lyon & Montpellier. They played matches around the world, with the Canadian versions going to Montreal. The 2009 version drew 30k, but only 20k in 2015.

And Liga MX does it with the Campeón de Campeones and the Supercopa MX. They hold a doubleheader for the two in the US since 2015.

Geauxlden and EvanJ repped this.
  11. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a report that UEFA was considering putting the Champions League Final in New York. It was quickly denied by UEFA but smells a little like a trial balloon to me. Leak the story, deny it quickly, but still succeed in broaching the subject, for possible future consideration.

Personally wouldn't have an issue with it. The Final is already a match primarily for the corporate sponsors and going to New York is actually probably easier in terms of flights and accommodations, than Moscow or other final destinations.

Main issue is the breaking down of the geographic firewall between the confederations. If you're willing to move your final outside of your confed, what else are you willing to do?