European Championship players of the tournament 1968 - 2006

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by PuckVanHeel, Jan 17, 2016.

1. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, interesting point about dribbling and Van Basten - would say in terms of minimal dribbling (like with his first goal vs England) he was very good but he didn't really attempt very extensive dribbling - sometimes he showed good control followed by a bit of manipulation of the ball or dribbling and then was fouled or was near the box and tried a pass or shot. His use of the ball was generally efficient I'd say and he brought others into the play a lot. But yeah, also at Ajax he had shown what he could do with more extensive dribbling. I feel his Euro 88 version may be him at his best, but that doesn't mean he didn't do more of certain things at other times.

Conversely because of what we discussed I'm not sure if I equate Euro 84 with prime Platini completely, but it seems a bit silly on the face of it not to - likewise and maybe even more obviously I suppose it's just a case of one part of his game being more effective/crucial than ever and another aspect not as good as at some other times. I remembered I'd rated Rivera's 67/68 European Cup game at Man United 8.5, and I do think overall that was more like a great midfield playmakers appearance now I think about it (let alone his Final performance vs Ajax ofc) - but it makes sense that as he didn't score when he had that half-chance in the second half that the rating is slightly below the decisive Platini performances vs Belgium and Yugoslavia I think. I also rated Best's performance 7.5 and that being slightly below Van Basten in the Final does feel fair enough so to my mind I think I'm about managing to keep my ratings consistent with each other generally speaking (I don't rate every game in this way ofc, and only really started when World Cup games and ratings were being discussed - I don't think I'll be starting a website called PDG Calcio lol!).

2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #52 PuckVanHeel, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Maybe it is also because France had already Tigana and Giresse for sharing the 'creativity' and 'inventiveness' part (probably the only tournament where both of them were remotely in their prime; Tigana didn't start at the beginning of 1982WC at least) as opposed to other times for the club or national team. The dominance of the team as well made 'creativity' or 'inventiveness' less necessary arguably (less frequent applied within 90 minutes and less noticeable compared to team mates). In 'Gioco all'Italiana' it was often the case of a solid and stable midfield block behind him and then Boniek, Rossi + sometimes another player as support for the attack (with him in the typical hybrid AM/SS role).

I know that MvB himself has admitted that the ankle troubles prevented him from pulling off certain things, such as a banana shot with the upper laces of the foot (if you know what I mean; stretching the foot). From testimonies by world class dribblers we know that fitness affects dribbling more than other attributes, but as I said there are a few impressive individual goals (vs Inter and so on) or dribbling displays at big matches (1987CWC semi final + final; 1990 Intercontinental Cup) and/or against elite defenders after 1986 (when the ankle issue started).

I'll have a look again at the two 1968 euro finals by the way. From a purely individual point of view Dzajic in 1968 is a good alternative option I feel. By which I do not (necessarily) say that the latter two are rivals for Platini in the overall picture; that's ofc more someone like Cruijff who took three teams (maybe four) to a higher level than could be reasonably expected or was desired by 'the authorities' (as I said previously: the bizarre 1973 UEFA downgrade - which is a fact - shows that pretty much). But as an individual tournament I'll look at the two 1968 euro finals again.

3. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It's hard for me to say with Platini - maybe he didn't seem his sharpest in general in terms of touch and instinct in midfield. But surely the role required of him played a part too. And he did still make some openings with quality passes now and again.

4. DFTB24

DFTB24 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    1972: Gerd Muller (Player of the Tournament)
    Man of the Match against the Soviet Union (final), probably deserves a 10 on a scale of 10 in the Belgium game as well.
    If the Quarterfinals has to be considered, then It is likely that (Gunter Netzer) is the winner.

1976: Ivo Viktor

1980: Karl-Heinz Rummenigge
    Bernd Schuster's performance against the Netherlands was phenomenal, it was THE individual performance of the tournament. But with only two games out of four is too short to recognize.

1984: Michel Platini (By miles)

1988: Frank Rijkaard (Player of the Tournament)
    Yes, surprise. Even though, the four Dutchmen completely dominated the show.
    Marco van Basten had a legendary performance against England, some flash of brilliance and made highlights by scoring vital goals.
    Ruud Gullit's been excellent as the whole complete act, pretty equal performance with Van Basten vs England and he was more involved in the crucial game against Ireland than MVB (who in turn had a fairly quiet game).
    Ronald Koeman as well, he had an exceptional tournament right from the start.
    However, Frank Rijkaard who has been spectacular in every scene, more mobile and extremely influential. A man of the match display in the most important game against the hosts.

1992: Brian Laudrup
    That was a race between two, Brian Laudrup and his colleague (Flemming Povlsen).

1996: Matthias Sammer
    Laurent Blanc's second best while the other Frenchman (Christian Karembeu) was the best player until he missed the semis due to suspension, that gave the German sweeper a big boost.

2000: Alessandro Nesta (Player of the Tournament)
    Heavily underrated, the most iconic individual performance by a defender at a European Championship. Almost flawless, the best of the back who was a rock defensively throughout the whole competition and was the main reason that the most offensive side (the Netherlands) has had difficulty scoring.
    Thierry Henry (Second) and Francesco Toldo (Third).

2004: Theodoros Zagorakis
    The main contenders are Giourkas Seitaridis & Miguel.

2008: Xavi Hernandez

2012: Andres Iniesta

Pavlin Arnaudov repped this.
  5. DFTB24

DFTB24 Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Thank you for creating a great thread.

6. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
    1972 England was elo rated 3, sovietunion was rated 3 and belgium was rated 11...there is not much between Germanys Opponents 1972 and netherlands opponents 1988...

netherland did loose 1:0 against sovietunion where was elo ranked 2 i think?? this Team where beat netherland in this match was virtuel Dynamo kiev with 9 Players + 2 spartak moskow Players ....iam wondering who was the real soviet NT..the Team where won the olympic game final against Brasil 1988 (taffarel,careca,bebeto,romario ect)or the virtuel Dynamo kiev NT Team in the eurochampionship??

7. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    From before I joined this board I know it isn't your favorite team and you often use it is a black sheep to argue against. That's all nice and well, but factually you are simply wrong here (besides, thanks to good UEFA contacts Germany played practically a home match in 1972).

In 1972 the Soviet Union was betting on two horses. Olympics was still a very prestigious tournament and key priority for the Eastern Bloc, to beat each other. In 1984 and 1988 they were banned from using players who played in World Cup games for the Olympics.

1972 Soviet Footballer of the Year: #2 and #3 in the ranking played both the Olympics and euro 1972, the #1 (Lovchev) only played in the Olympics. --> Olympics win.

1988 Soviet Footballer of the Year: #3 didn't play in both tournaments, #2 only played at euro 1988, and #1 played at both (Mikhailichenko). --> European Championships win.

Looking below the top three, and at the top ranked players per position:
    https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Список_33_лучших_футболистов_сезона_в_СССР
    https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_najlepszych_piłkarzy_roku_w_ZSRR

1972 top ranked players per position: Rudakov, Dzodzuashvili, Khurtsilava, Kaplychnyi, Kolotov played both tournaments. Lovchev (Soviet footballer of the year) and Blokhin (Ukraine footballer of the year and Soviet league topscorer, 8 goals in 9 NT games) played only in the Olympics. Muntyan only played at euro 1972. Fedotov, Gutsaev, Puzach missed both. --> Olympics win. Betting on two horses (7 top rated players vs 6 top rated players).

1988 top ranked players per position: Mikhailichenko played both tournaments. Dasaev, Khidiyatullin, Kuznetsov, Demyanenko, Lytovchenko, Aleinikov, Zavarov, Protasov only played at euro 1988. Gurlokovic, Dobrovolski only played in the Olympics. --> European Championships win. With a landslide (9 top rated players vs 3).

Not for the first time you are way off the mark here. There's no doubt that the euro 1988 team was the "real Soviet team".

8. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    My comment was including the volume and quality of goal involvement as well. When taken together with the level of opponents, it surely makes Van Basten's, one of the best performances in a Euro tournament.

Regarding the Dutch losing to the Soviet Union in the group game, I always thought that Van Basten did not feature in fully that game, hence I tended to disregard it.

As for the team being Dynamo Kiev 9 + Spartak Moskow 2, wasn't aware of this. I am also not sure how much weaker such a team is, so would like to know how you would rank that Soviet Union team who played the Dutch in that tournament.

9. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
    #59 621380, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    the Argument of betting on two horses for 1972 is HORSE SHIT....

the Playoffs (quarterfinals)was played between liga games...the final tournament of only 2 games in belgium was played about 4 weeks later..3 toprated soviet players per Position didnt Play both tournaments is olso proof betting on 2 horses is horseshit..the whole defensive of toprated soviet Players where has played the eurochampionship have played the Olympics so it doesent make sense suggesting of betting of 2 horses...german Players have played a shitload more tiring games than the sovietplayers in this Season inclusive a shitload of more friendlys pre Olympics games ..so the 4:1 win in a friendly and the 3:0 in the final makes this even more impressive...Gerd müller has scored in 2 games 6 Goals against the best offensive sovietunion had to offer..didnt he ??? blochin was 19 years old , and has played his first NT Team games after the eurochampionship..he was no reason sovietunion was elo 3 ranked..banischewski example has scored for a Team where was relegated 10 Goals of his Team 28 Goals in the liga and was way more expirenced than blochin, not part of the top 3 per Position becomes irrelevant..example...blochin with his 14 Goals (topscorer) wasnt much better than others with 13,12,11,10 Goals in the Liga (has scored only 27-28% of his Team Goals)..this are only nuances..example Gerd müller where has scored in Bundesliga 40 Goals was 18 Goals ahead of others in the Bundesliga..bayern has used to Play friendly games few days Prior the eurofinals games and a friendly game after the finals..the eurofinals was played between Bundesliga week 32 and Bundesliga week 33 and Bayern was forced to win the Bundesliga the last day of the Season too..kiev didnt Play european Cup,was eliminated early in Cup and did Play only 30 Liga games..the most Players had fresh legs.betting on 2 horses is, i repeat is horseshit..the soviets in the quarterfinal has demolihsed yugoslavia 3:0 and had a draw in yugoslavia ..this confirm somthing to..sovietunion was unbeaten for 2 years and the 1:0 defeat wc 1970 against uruquay was debatable..

Brüssel is in belgium you comical character.and if you Point out netzer has assistet Gerd üller 2 golden assists i have to Point out Gerd müllers both golden Goals against belgium was the reason netzer has 2 assists in records....England was elo 3 ranked and Germany won in England 3:1 ..there was olso in parts a lot of pressure for the german defensive watching the game ...if Germany dont eliminate England in the quarters the tournament is played in England..what does that tell you?? Gerd müllers third Goal not important in a first playoff away game for you a while ago pointed out confirm olso that you Need a reality check..

England elo 1 rated and loosing 3 games 1988 with 2:7 Goals , 0:6 Points in the Group suggest what?(1:0 first game defeat against elo 19 rated ireland) how much van bastes Goals are worth for you if you Point out Gerd müllers Goal against England isnt much worth??müller olo was high responsable in build up for the first important Goal in this game..

uefa site mentioned müller to be the star Player..few years ago you pointed out Gerd müller was the co-star of the euros 1972..olso netzer to be nuances better here and there in peoples meaning dosent make Gerd müller Impact irrelevant euro 1972 in history books...

i agree with you the Team sovietunion Team where has played 1988 the euros was the better using your Rankings ..however it Looks olso a tactical decision to me on some positions playing with more kiev Players anstood 2.3 other players..

schwarzenbeck wasnt the best Player in his Position 1972 but he played as a starter for the NT..Voigts was injured and didnt Play the euros,siggi held a starter quit the euros for the reason his Team Offenbach was foccused in key Playoffs games for the Bundesliga..not allways the best on paper plays for many reasons..

here the elo Rating off a source i have found...
    sovietunion elo 2
    Irland elo 11
    England elo 6
    Germany elo 2
    sovietunion elo 1

average elo 4.4

if we dont Count the elo Rating for van basten where he has played only 31 minutes against sovietunion the average elo Rating is 5.0 for 4 games..

england elo 3
    England elo 3
    belgium elo 11
    sovietunion elo 3

average elo 5.0

you pointed out average elo 4.0 (1988) and average elo (1972) is 6.0?? do you have a link?

10. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
    my error,
    ..Gerd müller has scored 6 Goals against the best DEFENSIVE sovietunion had to offer in a friendly and few weeks later the ec final 1972..

11. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    MARCA rating
    final tournament
    EURO 1964

Attached Files:

Titanlux and PDG1978 repped this.
  12. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    MARCA rating
    final tournament
    EURO 1968

Attached Files:

PDG1978 repped this.
  13. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    New
    MUNDO DEPORTIVO rating
    final tournament
    EURO 1968

Attached Files:

14. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    PEOPLE rating
    final tournament
    EURO 1968

Attached Files:

15. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    MARCA rating
    final tournament
    EURO 1972

Attached Files:

16. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    MUNDO DEPORTIVO rating
    final tournament
    EURO 1972

Attached Files:

17. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    MARCA rating
    final tournament
    EURO 1976

Attached Files:

18. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nice work with these mate! I think this post might have the Marca ratings again (the same as the post above it)?

19. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    I'm sorry it was a mistake. I will check if I have the ratings from Mundo Deportivo

PDG1978 repped this.
  20. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    These are already corrected by
    MUNDO DEPORTIVO rating
    final tournament
    EURO 1968

Attached Files:

Krokko and PDG1978 repped this.
  21. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    EURO 1972 final
    LA STAMPA

Attached Files:

wm442433 repped this.
  22. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    France Football euro 1984

Attached Files:

Krokko and PDG1978 repped this.
  23. Pavlin Arnaudov

Juventus
    Bulgaria
    Oct 21, 2017
    Unfortunately, France football doesn't give Euro 1964 ratings. Or so I think, the quality isn't very good after all!

Attached Files: