European Championship players of the tournament 1968 - 2006

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by PuckVanHeel, Jan 17, 2016.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #1 PuckVanHeel, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    The World Cup players have been much discussed, let's gather some thoughts about the european championship players of the tournament.

1968: For this tournament no (unofficial) vote was held but I know Dragan Dzajic was perceived in these terms - at this very poor and defensive tournament (1.25 goals per game). In the semi final he stood out against England (video). In the final he scored a goal in the 1st leg, but lost against Italy, which some perceived as a questionable performance by the referee (Yugoslavia filed a protest against Gottfried Dienst). Dzajic broke into the official FIFA XI for a match against Brazil later that year (10th anniversary of first World Cup win), and he was tipped for winning the Ballon d'Or by a number of players, but eventually he 'lost' it with 15 points difference (or 12% difference) against George Best. He also played in the quarter final demolition of France, where he provided the assist for the opening goal and scored a goal (in total 3 assists and 3 goals in 5 matches from quarter finals onward).

1972: For this tournament a vote became organized by the German press agency and some sponsors. Gunter Netzer was singled out, despite the quarter final not being part of the main tournament. It seems to be a fair and accurate choice although it can be asked to what extent he differentiated himself from his team mates at the main tournament itself. Maybe the distinction would have been clearer if the tournament (the final game) had been played at a neutral venue and against stronger opponents, for the England team was a fairly weak and overaged one and the Soviet Union was also thinking about the Olympics later in the year. Belgium in the semi final missed their best player in midfield-boss Van Moer (broken leg in quarter final against Italy's Bertini) and saw a (by meters) onside goal disallowed. Goals per game had almost doubled to 2.33 goals per game. Netzer had two assists against Belgium and scored a penalty against England (1 goal (PK), 2 assists in 4 games).

1976: Czechoslovakia won the tournament and goalkeeper Ivo Viktor ran away with the honors, voted by the journalists. He had spectacular saves in the closing stages of the Netherlands match in the semi final. He was again commanding his penalty area in the final, with a 'clean' style (not thumping someone's head in the process, which happened at that tournament). Remarkable at this goalkeeper win is the high goals per game scored in the tournament: 4.67 per match, while euro 2000 and euro 1984 were at 2.74 and 2.73 respectively as 2nd and 3rd highest. While euro 1968 (1.25) and euro 1980 (1.92) are the lowest (and two poorest) with euro 1996, euro 1992 (which had in turn the most fouls per game) and euro 1988 following behind.

... To be continued ...

2. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    1980: The runner-up in the 1979 Ballon d'Or Karl-Heinz Rummenigge became voted ahead of Ceulemans and his team mate Schuster (who played just two games but was good in the final). His colleague in the forward line Klaus Allofs was very likely better and more dangerous in the game against the Netherlands and in the final, more often fouled too, while Rummenigge was the best forward of his team against Greece and Czechoslovakia. He scored one goal and one assist in 4 games, including the assist for the late winner in the final (from a corner kick) as they capitalized on their superior stamina and perseverance. Ceulemans was in particular impressive against Spain, to a lesser extent England (1 goal, 2 assists). Rummenigge looked in two matches good too at euro 1984 (at one game possibly better as he ever was at euro 1980, with more dribbles and initiating chances, but this was a more open tournament), but his team went out in the group stage.

1984: This tournament delivered one of the most obvious stand out performances. On home soil captain Michel Platini scored 9 goals (1PK) and 1 assist in 5 matches. While L'Equipe funnily rated Chalana and his own team mate Tigana higher, the brilliance against Denmark and Czechoslovakia in particular (Belgium too, but they were miles below sub-strength) leaves no doubt. The captain made the difference in extra time against Portugal with a goal and an assist. In output no one came close to the 1983 Ballon d'Or winner and he won the press plaudits with a landslide.

1988: Hotel swaps, setbacks and as usual a strong schedule on hostile territory couldn't stop Marco van Basten while he delivered 5 goals and 2 assists in four-and-a-half games (without extra time). As goals per game dropped from 2.73 to 2.27 he showed his best against a schedule that virtually none can match. Netherlands played twice against the #1 ranked team, once against #6 and once against #3 (who were hosts on top). Ireland was ranked #11. Who came close at euro and World Cup level? His contribution, including a few spectacular moments and an unfairly disallowed goal, at euro 1992 has become under-appreciated a bit. But as his benefiting team mate Bergkamp remarked: "He had a characteristic way of running with his feet a short distance apart which was also like me. Later, when he had problems with his ankle, his posture sagged a bit whereas I stood straighter."

1992: For the first time no player from the winning team (Denmark) was voted by the press. Thomas Hässler was, scoring two goals (both free kicks; C.I.S. and Sweden) and registering 0 assists in 5 games. Brian Laudrup came 2nd in the vote and Thomas Brolin 3rd. This is probably the first edition I'd change with certainty. From the winners saves king Peter Schmeichel and the subtlety of Brian Laudrup (1 assist) stand out. The other stand out dribbler of that tournament Dennis Bergkamp (3 goals) would be a fine choice too, although he benefited from the fuss and confusion that the three forwards (Gullit, MvB, Roy) ahead of him created, as is visible at all three goals he scored. Brian Laudrup his numbers do not look spectacular, despite his dribbles, but this is the tournament with clearly the most fouls per game and a record 40% of the matches ended in a draw (2.1 goals per game). Schmeichel had fantastic late saves in the semi final (as well as the shoot out) and in the final itself.

3. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    1996: It has become pressed to the background that Dieter Eilts was voted as player of the tournament by the press, while UEFA assigned retrospectively this honor to defensive colleague Matthias Sammer (2 goals, 0 assists in 6 games). They did have at the time official man of the match awards and Karel Poborsky had most of them (three times). An alternative option would be captain Jurgen Klinsmann, who registered 3 goals and 1 assist in four games although he didn't make the official team of the tournament. It's a problem to pick out one (click).

2000: Although Zinedine Zidane only had one assist, a (controversial) penalty goal and a free kick goal in 6 games; this is again one of the least doubtful choices. Others as Luis Figo were maybe as good (2nd source), no one was better and they didn't win the team trophy either of course. UEFA gave more 'man of the match' designations to his team mate Thierry Henry, but their first ever official player of the tournament award went to Zidane (decided several months later). He was also decent in flashes at euro 2004; the only player who can compare to him in through balls and chances created at the European Championship is Dennis Bergkamp (who like him played in three tournaments, while ofc someone like Platini played in one with fewer matches). At the semi final against Portugal he succeeded in nine of the ten attempted dribbles. Is Iniesta really better than him?

2004: They gave it to Zagorakis (1 assist) of winners Greece but maybe Wayne Rooney (4 goals, 1 assist), Pavel Nedved (1 assist - similar case to Zidane before he fell out with injury in semi final) or even Arjen Robben (3 assists) would have been more deserving? I don't have a defined group of candidates for this one. Or maybe even I became swayed by the European Commission statement concerning a Greece vs Portugal final.

2008: Many thought of Marcos Senna as the dominant midfielder behind Spain's triumph. But he was a naturalized stopgap playing for lowly Villarreal... that is definitely not what the stakeholders want to see. By that time the championships had grown 10 times bigger as what it was 40 years earlier. So they gave it maybe rightly to Xavi Hernandez (1 goal, 2 assists), who was more technical and ran definitely the most kilometers for the team with the highest intensity and distance run of the competing countries.

[​IMG]
    http://scoreshelf.com/bkcs/en/European_Cup

4. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    As an overview to start thoughts, and possible replacements for tournaments or alternative choices.

Summary (goals per game aside):

1968 (5 games): Dzajic (3 goals, 3 assists), average opponent rank #12
    1972 (4 games): Netzer (1 goals (1PK), 2 assists), average opponent rank #6
    1976 (4 games): Ivo Viktor (goalkeeper @4.75 gpg), average opponent rank #8
    1980 (4 games): Rummenigge (1 goal, 1 assist), average opponent rank #17
    1984 (5 games): Platini (9 goals (1PK), 1 assist), average opponent rank #17
    1988 (5 games): Van Basten (5 goals, 2 assists), average opponent rank #4
    1992 (5 games): Hassler (2 goals, 0 assists), average opponent rank #11
    1996 (6 games): Sammer (2 goals, 0 assists), average opponent rank #10
    2000 (6 games): Zidane (2 goals (1PK), 1 assist), average opponent rank #8
    2004 (6 games): Zagorakis (1 assist), average opponent rank #8
    2008 (6 games): Xavi (1 goal, 2 assists), average opponent rank #15

Pavlin Arnaudov, PDG1978 and Estel repped this.
  5. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nice table there at the end regarding the average rank of opponents.

Made me sit up and take notice of the impressive level of opponents that Van Basten faced. That along with his stats and the quality of his goals make his Euro performance comparable to Platini's, in a way.

PDG1978 repped this.
  6. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    That's been my feeling on those two, but if no other players I probably can/will at least gradually go through the games for those two and give marks out of 10 like I did for some of the World Cup players (trying to make the grades comparable to what I did there).

Dzajic did have 3 assists vs France in 68 because it was two at home and one away. He seems the obvious choice for that year but it's not really easy to call those early ones I guess.

Estel repped this.
  7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    So yeah 1984 and 1988 seem clear cut to me from what I know and have seen (1988 I saw a decent amount in real-time although hard to rely on memories from so far ago - I already watched Puck's Van Basten videos of course and some games/highlights recently-ish).

I'd say I'd be surprised if I wouldn't think Tigana was 2nd for 1984, and it'd be maybe worth comparing his performances to Platini's (but in the end the 9 goals are going to count for a lot even if I felt average ratings might end up similar which I'm not sure about at this point). For 1988 maybe Gullit 2nd but not so sure, and certainly behind Van Basten.

1992 I'm not sure from memory although having watched the Final again recently (in which Laudrup did play well too, as did a few Danes in their own roles) I think that game would help Schmeichel's case as 3rd goalkeeper (assuming what is said about Yashin in 1960 is fair) to be the best player of the tournament potentially.

For 1996 my call from memory could be Davor Suker, and whether I'd have Sammer second I'm not quite sure. Perhaps Gascoigne and Rui Costa in the mix.

For 2000 Zidane is the consensus and obvious choice, and I think probably correctly but if I named another candidate from memory I'd say Francesco Totti ahead of Figo and Henry overall I think.

For 2004 maybe Milan Baros but another forward (Rooney) and another Czech (Nedved) possibilities. Dellas I had in my team of the tournament but I can't remember all of it despite that I can I think for World Cup 1994.

For 2008 I'd actually have gone along with the average ratings and said Villa I remember, and as a second choice perhaps Wesley Sneijder although he went out relatively early (could have been on course to be my choice I'd think in theory).

For 2012 I think I might have picked Pirlo over Iniesta for the whole tournament although it was a different story when Italy and Spain played of course, and the average ratings on the link don't go along with the idea either I see (that game might have made a significant difference to them but with it being the most important game if anything it would be worth the most weight and wouldn't have got it unless the scores were exaggerated because of the occasion).

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #8 PuckVanHeel, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    OK, just showing some of the same basic stats for these alternatives (don't take it in the wrong way):

Tigana 1984: 0 goals, 3 assists
    Gullit 1988: 1 goal, 2 assists
    Suker 1996: 3 goals (1PK), 1 assist
    Gascoigne 1996: 1 goal, 1 assist
    Rui Costa 1996: 0 goals, 0 assists
    Totti 2000: 2 goals, 0 assists
    Figo 2000: 1 goal, 3 assists
    Henry 2000: 3 goals, 1 assist
    Barros 2004: 5 goals, 1 assist
    Dellas 2004: 1 goal
    Villa 2008: 4 goals, 0 assists (all in group stage though)
    Sneijder 2008: 2 goals, 3 assists
    Pirlo 2012: 1 goal, 2 assists
    Iniesta 2012: 0 goals, 2 assists (vs Ireland and Croatia)

Detailed 2012 stats can be seen at WhoScored of course.

It's immediately noticeable that Figo registered good numbers. Both his assists number (in his five-six best years), also things as match grades (Don Balon trophies) and looking at GoalImpact (higher than for ex. Zidane) too stack up very well - but Zidane is for 2000 indeed the obvious choice because no other noteworthy performer was as good or better than him. Also agree about Tigana that he was probably ahead of Giresse for them. He was quite widely talked about as 2nd best and was 2nd in the 1984 Ballon d'Or.

9. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, maybe taking if further to pre-assists (eg Totti in the Final) or even 'involvement' where it is significant (eg Gascoigne for Shearer's famous goal vs the Netherlands) could be interesting too.

EDIT - I suppose 'chances created' and such stats are not available here though unlike for the World Cup. Apart from whatever is on WhoScored for recent tournaments.

10. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I noticed this for Euro 96 with a contributors Man of the Match, and official Man of the Match listed:
    http://www.rsssf.com/tables/96e-fullstats.html
    Also maybe there are more of these (didn't check but found this for the first round of matches with a chosen best XI which does include Sammer and Rui Costa who I suppose gets a pre-assist vs Turkey btw in the next game):
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/euro-96-xi-5414741.html

I guess Klinsmann, for different reasons to B.Laudrup, might have missed out on the All-Star squad due to not playing enough? Both had one of the best goals anyway I'd say, but probably for me Suker takes the top spot there too (he arguably didn't play enough I suppose for best player overall but he was a key player for a team getting out the group at least).

11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I notice the Independent's XI for the third group games now too, with Rui Costa in again:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/euro-96-xi-1338259.html
    Slightly surprised that Gascoigne wouldn't make it with this I'd say:

But maybe him and Rui Costa wouldn't actually be put in together, and I can probably understand how Sheringham would be given Man of the Match in that game IIRC.

12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    If you google you can find a few things however, like the 9/10 success rate of Zidane at the euro 2000 semi final, or Platini his 1984 shooting accuracy and touches, or through balls, 5 goals from 7 opportunities in 1988 etc.

13. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, true. Maybe videos can do that for those players too (Zidane vs Portugal is on Youtube I see too) or can verify those things. But that is good info to have. It's just that the widespread stats for everyone are not compiled by anyone as they were for World Cups I suppose (for cross-comparison or to identify some players to look further into for certain reasons). Having all videos available might be better than all stats ofc, but both together (for a lot of players in World Cups that is achievable) is good and nobody would review all games anyway in full I'm sure.

14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    For example euro 2000:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/4755118/Euro-2000-Hail-Zizou-shy-conductor.html
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Football: EURO 2000 SUPER STATS; ONLY one man in our team of the...-a065937842
    [bad layout but you can see through it]
    http://www.skynet.ie/~oasis/euro2000/opta.html

[​IMG]

Maybe not surprisingly there happens to be a correlation with the overall GI rating.

edit: other example

http://leblogadoudouce.com/platini-numero-9999999/

15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, they must have compiled all the stats in the same way then. But no available widget on the website for Euros I guess?

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes.
    http://www.optasports.com/news-area/blog-optas-unique-historical-euros-database.aspx

Forgot to say that Xavi overtook Zidane after the end of the tournament (not that it matters a lot and it isn't the very most relevant statistic perse although it tells something about 'playmaking). He reached the mark after the quarter final match against France.

PDG1978 repped this.
  17. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    That was Xavi's 9th EC match. In comparison Zidane played 14 in total.

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #18 PuckVanHeel, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Sorry ---- I meant Yugoslavia of course instead of Czechoslovakia. Accidentally I typed it double. Because Czechoslovakia was typed down for 1976 and 1980.

It was against Yugoslavia a perfect hat-trick (left foot, right foot, head) for Platini in a 3-2 win. The three goals came after trailing 0-1.

Something about euro 1980: Klaus Allofs played in 3 matches, whereas Rummenigge played in four. That almost by default rules him out for top position (like Hrubesch, Schuster) if it is not miles better in all three games (336 minutes versus 270 minutes). Of the ones who played all four games Briegel was of his team perhaps the closest (vs Greece in particular).

Without penalties: Platini 9 (5 games @ 8 teams); Ronaldo 9 (14 games @ 16 teams); Bergkamp 8 (13 games @ 8 and 16 teams); Klinsmann 7 (13 games @ 8 and 16 teams); Poborsky 7 (14 games @ 16 teams)

where penalty won = assist

19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That is a good idea if you like.

I was also thinking that I've to start researching Olympic football until ~1984 a little bit more (in 1984 eligibility restrictions became inserted, making sending of the first team de facto impossible).
    Until 1988 - as 1984 was boycotted by the Eastern Bloc - it was an important tournament for East European countries. For some countries at least; sometimes all countries at the same year, sometimes not all at the same year. In 1980 Czechoslovakia didn't travel with their first team to the Olympics, while the Soviet Union did. In 1976 it probably did not help the Soviet Union at the European Championship quarter finals as they were betting with the team and staff on two horses. I've seen comments by themselves saying that, before and after. Most often used solution was fielding a 2nd team in the OC qualifiers. Then at euro 1988 that balancing act didn't present itself due to inserted restrictions, and funnily they nearly won both tournaments (England, Italy at euro 1988 etc.).
    It would also provide a glimpse into Blokhin his performance consistency for example (starting for club and country in 1972; bronze 1972, bronze 1976), or Deyna (gold medal 1972, silver 1976) etcetera.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_Summer_Olympics#Men.27s_top_scorers_by_tournament

20. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Van Basten would join those on 7 on that basis I think too wouldn't he (5 games incl sub appearance @ 8 teams).

21. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Actually I only accounted for Euro 88 with Van Basten didn't I, so more games need adding for the overall record but also maybe an assist vs Denmark? (Had a pre-assist vs Scotland ofc).

Did Hassler have the assist from the corner vs the Dutch actually?

23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Ah yes, you're right. I thought the ball deviated to an outcome-changing effect (which it probably still did). Don't know otherwise why I did, because I wrote it down here, and all the other ones match with the above (also Tigana etcetera):
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/all-star-teams-of-1986-world-cup.1979342/page-2#post-26954617

PDG1978 repped this.
  24. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I'll kick-off my ratings with the semis vs Portugal for Platini and Zidane in 1984 and 2000 respectively. Both 90 minutes plus extra time of course.

I'll go 8.4 out of 10 for Platini, but it wasn't far away from being worth more perhaps. I felt his general game was good and sharp and in the first half he created an excellently crafted chance and another decent one. It was a less flawless game overall than Zidane's I'd say, and occasionally his pass was just slightly away from perfect when there was half a chance. But he was always in the game and helping to move France forwards, and then there is an effective assist (not intended but his turn in the box set up the equaliser and otherwise might have won a penalty) and then the coolness and accurate finish that won the game eventually. I've seen the game in full before and IIRC I could well give Tigana the higher rating in that one, but I'd need to review his performance and there isn't a separate video for him I don't think is there....

I'll go with a straight 9 out of 10 for Zidane, and indeed it's the consistently accurate actions that are cumulatively impressive and influential I'd say. There are some stand-out moments though, and the control/turn/cross moment on the right side of the box could have been a brilliant assist with a bit more luck or awareness from the team-mate perhaps. Some very good penetrative passes. Maybe less 'magic' or slickness than vs Brazil in 98, and maybe less stand-out moments than vs Brazil in 06 even but it has to be in the same sort of bracket as those games overall IMO. Whether despatching the penalty in impressive style = Platini's goal, I'm not really sure (a penalty is normally a better chance) but close I think.

I did watch your video of Van Basten vs Germany in his semi-final Puck not too long ago of course. I'll do so again and also try to find if I already gave an estimated rating for it (maybe I didn't do so with a specific number yet).

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    There was the step-over run, and subsequent manouvering of the ball to a team-mate from Zidane too of course. Again, the initial skill being complimented by transferring the ball well so not only a flashy moment but an incisive one.