European Away Shirt

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by ManUtd R16, Sep 27, 2003.

1. ManUtd R16

ManUtd R16 New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm wondering if the club (in conjunction with Nike, of course) is starting a trend to have a "European Away Shirt" every year. UEFA.com is showing that the official away shirt is not going to be the Black is Back kit, but the white 3rd kit.

Remember last year when the blue kit was the default away kit (and in one case our home kit as well, haha, at OT against Olympiakos). This season it'll be the white kit and you can already see Kitbag selling white kits with European numbering.

Of course this is a strategy to, not rob a fan of $70 each year, but $140 :) But currently I don't see United wearing this white shirt during the group stage. For next week's game against Stuttgart, they'll have to wear the black kit because the home side wears a white and red shirt. As to Ranger's blue shirt and Panathinaikos' green shirt, United should just go ahead and wear our red. So I don't know how this is gonna work out.

But it could also be that the website (http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/UCL/Clubs/Club=52682/index.html) shows incorrect information. If you look closely at the home and away kits on that page, you'll notice that they have the home and away shorts switched.

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    just boycott the 3rd jersey concept. I do. I boycot 3rd jerseys in the NHL, and EPL

It's nothing more than a money making gimmick, and I won't be suckered into it. it also helps that I've never seen a 3rd jersey that I actually like......

3. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Maybe the trend is that, in the EPL the "Away" shirt is truly the Away jersey while the 3rd kit is (as you suggest) the "Away" kit for UEFA games. I hope not though; that white strip is ugly...

I echo Metros thoughts on boycotting the 3rd jersey. Hell, $70 for a jersey once every 5 years or so is good enough for me.

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004

It's bad enough that the home jersey changes every 2 years.... if lucky.... there was a stretch of time when the MAN Yoo home jersey changed 3 times in 3 years.....

5. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    oh yes. i wonder wat the home jersey is going to look like next year.

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I don't think it will change too much... The current jersey everyone recognizes instantly.... maybe add a traditional collar? i dunno.......

7. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Manchester
    have you got any proof to back this up? United change their home shirt just as often as anyone else

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    yes I have proof.

00/01 - Umbro / Sharp
    01/02 - Umbro / Vodaphone
    02/03 - Nike / Vodaphone

3 different home jerseys in 3 consecutive years..

9. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Manchester
    incorrect

Umbro/Sharp - 98/99
    Umbro/vodafone - 2000/2001
    Nike/vodafone - 2002/2003

so we each of the kits you mentioned for 2 seasons not for just one, get your facts right

10. Mon Dieu

Mon Dieu New Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Manchester
  11. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004