European 22-23 Season

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ihateyousomuch, Jul 7, 2022.

1. ihateyousomuch

Sunderland
    United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    NOTHING is worse than Man U fans when they are winning.

2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m going to bet that I am older than you are, making your first point moot.

There are fans that never go to games for a multitude of reasons. Some can’t afford it, some just like to complain from a distance, but they still support and will enjoy the victories you will consider bought.

It’s just how it is.

3. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet it's exalted as some supremely entertaining league blah blah blah. The top 6 is always the same. The bottom three are rarely surprising. So we're watching a 20-team league to see where positions 7-17 fall? Snore.

4. ihateyousomuch

Sunderland
    United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    So I am not Chelsea fan but for this one time agree with them. I think the ref had a bet on draw for that one.

5. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people are watching to see where positions 1-6 fall, rather than 7-17.

6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I have no clue when your interest in the game started. I have met few hardcore Chelsea fans in the US who have heard of Dennis Wise or John Clarke.

I'm guessing a majority of City fans who had season tickets when the team was in the third tier have been priced out and I've met a few personally. Newcastle may go on to win titles and what not but the fanbase will look different in a decade and I'm not sure that's a good thing. I know it's a business but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It's amazingly entertaining. The skill level in EPL top to bottom is better than any other league even if the final standings aren't in doubt.

I understand your pain. I'm a Hull City fan and don't want us to get promoted. I would rather be competitive 38 games a season than be a sacrifice for 20 games which would happen if we moved up.

8. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If one of the EPL teams won every year.... The issue with the Bundesliga is that the last time a team other than Bayern won was 12 seasons ago. Twelve. That's a bit different than the EPL where there hasn't been a team winning it 4 years running and only twice has a team won it three times in a row. That is, at least, a bit more competitive than the BL.

9. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we know who the top two teams are gonna be every season, that’s kinda lame. English fans slammed La Liga with that for years, now there is no difference.

10. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't know. Man City looks to be the top again this year but Chelsea and Liverpool have dropped points early. Team BoneSaw will be making a splash in the coming years. West Ham is on the rise. Spurs might be able to ride Conte to a top 4 before he wears out his welcome.

The EPL is by far the deepest of the european leagues.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We're saying that we don't know that who will be top two because Liverpool dropped points early, a half breath before claiming a West Ham that was blanked before Nottingham Forest is on the rise. Interesting.

The EPL is the richest league, by far. Even teams in the bottom half of the table have the capability to buy near finished products from Italian, Spanish, French, and Portuguese Leagues at prices that would eliminate near all teams from those leagues to even consider these holding onto or bidding for these players.

Does that make the league deep? Probably. Does that make the league very exciting in terms of eventual outcomes? Not really. Over the course of 38 games Liverpool will make up these early dropped points. Man City will remain near top. West Ham will hover around top 6 - 8. Arsenal, Spurs, and Chelsea will do what they do.

There is great soccer being played their, but the outcomes are essentially already determined. And to the extent which a top 4 or UCL qualifying place actually means something in other European Leagues due to prize money, it means less in the EPL due actual tv dollars and revenue for the league.

The EPL has purchased many of the best players in the world, and has many of the best teams in the world. Several of the teams even play a really attractive brand of football. But the primary entertainment value of the EPL is watching American fans who latched onto bandwagon clubs absolutely lose their shit when they aren't given the results they feel entitled to. Given the amount of those fans, it's the worlds deepest league for schadenfreude.

Tobias C, puttputtfc, chr1st and 2 others repped this.
  12. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is poetry.

hangthadj and zman31 repped this.
  13. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While Hang can certainly turn a phrase, his points are often lost in the flowery prose, and are also often wrong.

The entertainment value in the EPL is watching the highest level of soccer played anywhere in the world on a daily basis. That's why they have the TV money and the ability to buy the top players.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  14. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, yeah, no, totally. Bournemouth vs Wolves on a Tuesday afternoon is riveting stuff lol.

hangthadj and chr1st repped this.
  15. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you rather watch Bayern win 5-0? Or PSG?

I would watch a random EPL game over any of the other leagues.

I am sure Hang will wax poetic about his Roma and their third or fourth tier European trophy from last year, and I did give them a try last year to watch Tammy Abraham, but it just wasn't interesting to me.

YMMV.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Get Wolves name out of your mouth! Lifelong Wolves fans like myself love the Portugal to Wolverhapton Jorge Mendes Pipeline.

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's not flowery. THIS is flowery.

IMG_3719.PNG

Tobias C, kgilbert78 and stanger repped this.
  18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeeeeesh. You know things are going poorly when after a an early summer of mocking a third tier trophy, to little success, you attempt to knock it down yet another tier.

To think in just five short years we defeated Real Madrid to win The Mabel Green Cup, and then a third or fourth tier European Trophy.

Bonsai.jpg

Wallpaper.jpg

There is a joy earned, free of entitlement. I'm blessed to be a Roma supporter. What a city. What a club.

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Wolves fans, where's @Eggy been?

20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He was actually in Columbus a few weeks back for the 0-0 match against New England. Sent me pics and everything.

21. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    KHT rewarded!

[​IMG]

hangthadj repped this.
  22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I enjoy it.

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    One thing I find endlessly entertaining is how some die hard fans of clubs (in all leagues) will be the first to slag off rivals, "Arsenal sucks! Tottenham is a shit club. Milan are always gifted by the refs! Lazio are fascists!" While the latter is undeniably true, some of these fans will be the first to back up their league if anyone attacks it. It's a very weird provincial mindset, similar to say how some cheer for the Big 10 or SEC come bowl or March Madness season.

Thing is, there are so, so many poor games in every league every weekend. So many teams with very good players play mind numbingly dull affairs. It's the narrative of the season and the players involved that keep fans tuned in. And to be frank the EPL has a huge advantage in that sense from the narrative the league has been able to sell to a primarily English speaking world. It's a deep league, but that doesn't mean I enjoy watching Manchester United play down to the level of Southhampton, or in Italy seeing Inter playing down to the level of Lecce.

More often than not, these aren't examples of a deep league, no matter what people are telling you. Usually it's just bad soccer. But, for me, because I'm more invested in Serie A emotionally, I've enjoyed more than my share of terrible matches involving Roma, Fiorentina, Sassuolo, Udinese, or Sampdoria, because I care about the narrative arc of those clubs and what they mean more than a Newcastle, West Ham, Arsenal, or another billion dollar underachieving EPL club.

Like what you like. Unless you like Lazio or FC Porto. If so, then seek help.

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm kinda like you but from a Bundesliga perspective.

But I did note that Cremonese had jerseys Buckeye fans would like....

25. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What an absolute calamity from the Cremonese keeper at the end. The East Coast Elite Group Chat was in shock.