Europe Super League?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by STR1, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Atalanta hasnot got Juve/AC&Inter Milan budgets. Still they managed with a few smart 1 million Eredivisie buys to get into the CL semi finals.

2. DCW531

DCW531 Member

City SC
    Jan 31, 2017
    St. Louis, MO
    No money in London, OH.. How about LA Arsenal??? plus he's got that fancy new stadium to pay for somehow. ;)

One of the local STL sports radio shows had Toby Parkes, host of ‘Arsenal Editor’ podcast, on this morning. Sounds like Kroenke treats the Arsenal fans just like he did the STL Rams fans prior to moving to LA....

3. :ROFLMAO:

4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Moving Arsenal to London Ohio would be just fine. For those not familiar with it, London is a small city in Madison County Ohio. It's a rural area near Columbus on the way to Cincinnati and home to the 2 "Hell is Real" signs. It could become a 3 way competition ala Cascadia Cup.

5. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah....they were singing Wenger Out for how many years? Wenger left and......Arsenal struggled to make European Tournaments....and fans were just as if not more miserable.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, that's the normal state of Arsenal supporters of Fever Pitch is anything to go by.

7. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    B-b-but AHERSONAAAAAHL IZ A SOOPER CLOOB!!!!!1!1!1!1!1!1!111!

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You are mistaken, I get it.

A basketball "Intercontinental Cup" isn't aimed at the North American basketball fan. Just like the FIFA Club World Cup isn't aimed at European fans. Such a competition is a "bridge" that costs the dominant side very little but makes a big difference to the rest. Again, we are just talking about one or two games per year. That's it. And I sincerely believe that such an engagement with international clubs and fans would lead to an accelerated growth of the sport and ultimately commercial gain for the NBA as a result (so I wouldn't look at it as "moral" charity). It's not something that I can quantify with numbers, but I truly believe that.

Call me a hopeless romantic.

CeltTexan and jaykoz3 repped this.
  9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    That's why videos like the below are priceless. It's not often that a billionaire gets pushed out of his comfort zone.

10. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, outliers exist, this isn't new and isn't even a new comment from you.

The correlation to money spent and results still stands. The inflated market and pricing out of most clubs is an actual thing.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  11. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's probably a limit of the franchise model. You only want to grow the game if it means more eyeballs on the current ~34 member teams, not introducing an entire globe full of potential competitors.

12. It's a thing because clubs do it (out of mental/intellectual) laziness.
    If all clubs would adopt the Atalanta way, prudent spending/smart scouting, the actual correlation would be with prudent spending. The fact that a correlation exists isnot the same as it is a necesaty.
    Edit: It's the choice clubs make that form the correlation.

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I would be on board with some kind of salary limitation in European soccer. Something must be done about the escalating payrolls.

15. Impossible within EU competition laws. The only way into it is by putting salaries into a Collective Bargaining Agreement. But that has to be embedded in laws and stand the test of it being for the good of a greater cause.
    Dunno if the FIFPRO would be on board with it.

16. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yes and no (depending what you mean by prudent spending). If every team was "smart" about its spending, the correlation between money and performance would be stronger, since there would still be differences in revenue and you wouldn't have situations where some teams outperform because they are smarter about which players to sign. It's the overperformance or underperformance of team management that weakens the correlation.

Its technically true that the choice forms the correlation but it's a fairly obvious choice. Teams with more money choose to spend more money on players. What else would they spend the money on?

HailtotheKing and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  17. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Ah, the old flip flop.

[​IMG]

CeltTexan and HailtotheKing repped this.
  18. Onionrings

Onionrings Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The power of the Cosmos is so great they killed off another league before they even got the chance to join!

19. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    100% correct. But, if teams just spent within their means, salary caps wouldn't need to be a thing. I don't expect that Barca will reel in their spending, but they should not be blaming the system for their bad spending habits. Barca probably spends 150% of their revenues on wages. No wonder they are €1bil+ in debt. Increasing their revenue is great and all, but if they keep spending it and more, that chicken will eventually come home to roost. If they do have to default, do they get docked points or relegated? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would Barca (or RM or MU etc) fans be "Barca til I die" if the team did cut their wage bill to match revenues? Would they be ok if Barca was constantly outbid for talent by Man City or PSG's petro dollars? If MLS in 20 years, having benefited from MLS's closed system, starts competing for the best talent in the world with NFLish money, do teams and fans in Europe start to change their tune about how the game is structured there?

I am not sure if they do change, but I think it is clear that the demise of this version of the ESL does not mean that the finances of soccer in Europe are working as is or that new proposals won't be put forward.

Like others on here have said, I too love the global nature of the game. I have dream to someday travel through Europe and take in games in Scotland, France, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Italy, etc. Not sure I'll ever pull it off, but I think it would be a great way to experience local culture by visiting places like Motherwell, Reims, Lens, Etrecht, Gent, Brugge, etc. Soccer gives me a connection that I can have with people there that I can't get out of any other sport.

Quick story, I was in Lyon for the US v Iran game in WC 98 and we get to the city early so we look for a place to watch the Argentina game that was taking place before the US game. We found a bar with some Scottish fans who were travelling around France watching games. They were so welcoming and we bonded over our passion for soccer. One of them literally gave me their Motherwell jersey off his back. I got his address and sent him a Clash jersey went I got back home. (Ugly 'cloudy jade' kit, I got the better end of that deal.) Point is, I don't think that type of interaction happens if fans of teams like Motherwell are taken for granted by an ESL.

Hopefully this ESL proposal was enough of a wake up call that all parties involved in soccer: fans, UEFA/FIFA, players and staff, and owners, can agree on a way that works to continue to build and grow the game for all teams.

CeltTexan, HailtotheKing, Doogh and 3 others repped this.
  20. soccermilitant

soccermilitant Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    St.paul
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    comissio probably threatened lawsuit

21. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That assumes the top clubs make as much or more from winning as they do from being a global brand. All things being equal, you'd rather have the player that can also sell a shirt.

22. I don't understand what you're trying to tell.

23. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

24. Onionrings

Onionrings Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Long Island
    Club:
    New York City FC