Europe Schools?

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Keane_Fan, May 1, 2005.

1. Keane_Fan

Keane_Fan New Member

Mar 22, 2005
    I am currently in my senior year at a school in U.S. I would love to attend college over seas. I have been to Dublin and would love to attend there. Does anyone know of any schools in the area? I also would like to know about Wales, and London. Any help would be appriciated! I would settle for just about anywhere but here!

2. Paddy31

Paddy31 Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Pukekohe, NZ
    It really depends on what you want to study and how much you want to spend.

Are you keen to get a big name university (assuming you are looking for a degree)? Or would you be happy at a college in a good spot.

Some possibles:

Trinity College - Dublin http://www.tcd.ie/

University College - Dublin http://www.ucd.ie/

The Sorbonne - Paris http://www.paris4.sorbonne.fr/en/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=1

University of Manchester - Guess! http://www.manchester.ac.uk/

University of Bristol - Tricky again! www.bris.ac.uk/

University of the West of England - Bristol www.uwe.ac.uk/

The last two would give you access to a great lifestyle, and the best city in the world:)

Give me some more details and I'll see what I can do to help.

3. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Do you speak any languages other than English well enough that you could attend school in a non-English speaking country?

4. Keane_Fan

Keane_Fan New Member

Mar 22, 2005
    I love buisness so any general buisness school. For the otheer lang. I have one year of spanish but cant speak it hardly, and 3 year of chinese which I doubt will help much where I'd like to go.

5. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If you are willing to spend another year at a high school in a foreign country that should be enough to learn the language (actually, half a year should do it). There are also quite a few international universities all over Europe where you can study in English (those are private though and therefore require more money than the public ones).
    www.expatica.com may help you...?

6. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Wales:
    Cardiff University (really great place, good uni.) - www.cardiff.ac.uk
    University of Wales, Swansea. www.swansea.ac.uk
    University of Wales, Lampeter (middle. of. NOWHERE.)
    University of Wales, Aberystwyth (slightly less middle of nowhere. very small seaside town.) - www.aber.ac.uk
    University of Wales, Bangor. www.bangor.ac.uk

Of those, Cardiff, Swansea and Aber are the best. Word of warning is that as you're a non EU resident they can charge you silly money - up to about £7000 a year, instead of £1150!
    Anyway, to apply for entry, you need to apply via www.ucas.ac.uk - the applications for going in this autumn are closed for UK/EU applications. Foreign applications can go in until the end of June. Generally they go easy on foreign students' grades cause they know they can milk em dry.

One word of advice - loughborough uni is fantastic. The town however, is an absolute shithole of a place that you would do very well to avoid.

7. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I go to King's College in the University of London, and I'm a freshman. Ask me anything you want to know about the UK admissions process, or living in London, and I can most definitley answer it.

8. Keane_Fan

Keane_Fan New Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Hey, guys thanks for all the help. Are the schools your telling me hard to get into or am I getting a good range(academics wise). Also where i live we have indoor facilities and all sorts of places to play, I assume you all have the same? I cant really give up playing you know. These all places that wouldnt mind an american? I know some people think we are all loud, obnoxious rednecks. (I'm not i promise)

9. Paddy31

Paddy31 Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Pukekohe, NZ
    Entry requirements will vary with the course you choose.

UWE in Bristol has a good Business School (The Higher Education Council for England rated Bristol Business School as "Excellent" in 2000. This top rating was reconfirmed following a detailed inspection by the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) which awarded the School 23 points out of a maximum of 24, an extremely good result) and fairly relaxed entry requirements compared to some others.

For most UK courses you will be expected to meet basic standards in Maths and English. Your High School Diploma should be good enough for this depending on which credits you have. You will also need evidence of Further Education (for example Advanced Placement Examination) in relevant subjects.

http://www.uwe.ac.uk/bbs/ (UWE Business School)
    http://www.uwe.ac.uk/international/ (Overseas Students)

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for. I work with students who are about to apply to Universities, and so may be able to give some useful pointers.

Your first step has to be to get a UCAS form and get it together. If you are applying to start in September 2005 you will struggle, as many courses will be full.

10. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    There's a big range in the Uni's listed in locations, size, speciality subjects etc.
    The advice on the forms etc. are simple enough but its hard to give a good description of everything everywhere without knowing what kind of uni you want reccomended and which subject you plan on doing.

Most Unis have pretty good sports complexes and facilities, but usually don't have much in the way of a stadium (for example, Loughborough's stadium is basically a bunch of grassy mounds any spectators sit on and some temporary stands that get wheeled out for big events), but it does vary quite a bit.

11. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    GREAT name!!

There are some very good colleges in Dublin, and if you can get into them, they are absolutely free. All you will have to pay for are the textbooks, and if you come from a workign class background you can even get a grant for them (my friend got one of €8,000 last September). Try Trinity College (if you are studying literature, etc this is the same place James Joyce & iirc, WB Yeats amongst others went to, but you need very good qualifications to get into most courses). Other top colleges include Dublin Institute of Technology ('DIT') - which focuses mainly on business, University College dublin ('UCD') & Maynooth College is pretty good, too. Google them, or look for al ink above.

One thing you will need to know however, is that colleges here have a good atmosphere and there is a very lively nightlife, etc (especially as most colleges are located in & around the heart of Dublin city centre), but do not have the same frat house atmosphere as the USA - not that it's worse, it's just different... and well worth not having to spend thousands of dollars a year.

If you want to get into an Irish college, you might have to apply pretty soon though, because the system means that all forms have to be in by a certain date (although int'l students tend to get extensions)... go to www.cao.com if you plan to follow this up; they are in charge of all college applications in the country.