PBP: Europa League Final: Chelsea v. Arsenal

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Brock Hannsen, May 21, 2019.

1. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chelsea FC v. Arsenal
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 3PM EST
    Olympic Stadium, Baku
    TV: Univision Deportes, B/R Live -- good luck.

A London derby in Baku. How fun.

N'Golo Kante is back in training. CLO and RLC are out.
    Henrikh Mkhitaryan not travelling with Arsenal due to political tensions between Armenia and Azerbaijan.
    Likely Hazard's last match. Perhaps Sarri's, as well.

A cup would be nice.

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is gonna be rough

3. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Think also on TNT, from WorldSoccerTalk:

Wednesday, May 29

Arsenal vs. Chelsea (Europa League final), 3pm, TNT, fuboTV, PlayStation Vue and Sling TVand B/R Live

Still strongly think Kante should be getting nothing but rest and recovery training, no reason to take any chance, game is without much meaning, nice to win, nice to ******** over Arsenal, but really not much import other than Sorri's first ever possible win

Desperately important to have Kante rested and in top condition next season with all the other injuries and transfer uncertainty

4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ******** that... I want the UEL trophy. If Kante is healthy and training he’s playing. Meaningless game is what we did in NE on 3 days rest. UEL is a European Trophy.

JimWharton and Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  5. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Game without meaning? Really?

6. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This will be the first UEFA Europa League fixture to use the video assistant referee (VAR) system. A fourth substitution will be permitted for each side if the final goes to extra time.

The UEFA Europa League trophy is, at 15kg, the heaviest of all UEFA silverware. To make things extra interesting, it comes without handles. There are 40 medals for players and staff.

7. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    We've scored good goals against Arsenal over the years. Here's one. Turn the sound off.

8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Dang...I'll be on the plane.

9. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Memorable goals against Arsenal

10. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This was a lovely goal

11. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I miss Crespo.

Wrath repped this.
  12. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    be fair Said " ...without MUCH meaning" and said "nice to win, nice to ******** over Arsenal," as it is always but am I going to risk Kante,, playing in a position he ain't even all that great at, missing playing weeks or months of truly meaningful Premier League games, while we are already missing RLC, CHO and others and likely Hazard and perhaps banned from adding help, ******** no that is as short-sighted and potentially idiotically disastrous as the RLC fiasco. If we can't beat arse without Kante in his square peg/round hole gig we ain't got no business hoisting the Cup

13. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Live in the present, not what will happen in 3 months. Kante can have 3 months to get back to to fitness but if he is even 80% fit and feels can play, then he should. It is a final and our best players should be in it no matter the tactics. Also, are we so good that we should be able to beat Arsenal without Kante? We might but certainly not a given. Kante in his new position still is a valuable player and has had some very good games this season.

JimWharton repped this.
  14. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    living in the present; steller theory that worked out great with the Boston trip,

always worked out great with rushing Owens back

hammys can linger aggravate repeatedly for a year plus if not handled right at the go

we rushed Lamp back from a thigh muscle issue and it lingered and turned to other things for like a year to 18 months

nothing important internationally this summer, this match really is not life/death of the Club; rest,recover and tweak Kante proper so he starts season 100%

15. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    LOL. The Boston trip was ridiculous I agree and definitely not comparable to a cup final. In the end, if Kante feels he can play, he should. He personally wouldn't want to miss a final as well.

16. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Under normal circumstances I want to win this match as it is legitimate silverware. I personally put it ahead of the league cup but behind the fa cup of pots I want to win.

As it's against arsenal though I want to win it more. The location sucks and the cup is a long drag for the most part but I never want to give ground to that lot at any time and fingers crossed agent Petr gets it done.

As for kante, if he's available i want him on the bench, not starting, but I do want to be able to call on him. Players play for silverware and if nothing else want him to have a chance to add to his haul by playing

Wrath repped this.
  17. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And Kante hurts his knee in training likely out, though they may hand him crutches and a potent shot and push him anyway (have no idea if related but when major muscles are amiss, one runs/moves different, has different support structure, etc, no bueno heal first)

18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kante is out. So we will have a mid of Barkley, Kovacic and Jorgy.

Odds that Sarri switches to a 4-2-3-1 for this?

19. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  20. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lmao never

21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean we might see it at some point against Arsenal. We only have 3 healthy CM. Willian and Pedro could man the wing with Hazard floating as a 10. Only way I see it happening is if we’re chasing a goal late but I’d rather start in it. Barkley would be a sub to either switch us back to a 4-3-3 or move Hazard wide and play him as an attacking CAM but with fresh legs. Hell he could prob come on as box to box for Kovacic or Jorgy we chasing a goal and we started in it.

22. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think we can more or less guess who Sarri will play. Sarri is not one for change. The big hope is that our one player team - Eden Hazard - plays a great game and we beat them.

23. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I miss Drogba

lobomojo repped this.
  24. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chelsea 6 Arsenal 0
    Mo Salah scores first goal for Chelsea

25. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think Kante is still a late fitness test. Knee knock unrelated to muscle issue he was experiencing.

Also, confirming that this match is on TNT on Fios, east coast.