PBP: Europa League Final: Arsenal FC vs Chelsea FC

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by GunnerJacket, May 14, 2019.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #26 NorthBank, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    If we can believe the info from Andrew Mangin today, Arsenal have only sold 3000 tickets to its supporters, and Chelsea only 300?!!

Maybe UEFA's 6000 per club allocation was in fact not too crazy. Maybe they knew all along that it was just too far, or just too difficult a place to get to logistically. So 6000 was more than sufficient.

I'm be facetious of course. A sad state of affairs. :cry:

2. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yeah, members can only get 1 ticket because obviously its very limited. Nevermind travelling to Baku, on a few days notice, couldn't find a flight without basically a full day layover.

In short it's shit, and of course its the final Arsenal get to.

3. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW. Especially because I'd been hearing mostly reports about it having been worked out.

But I also heard some Azerbaijani official implying that Arsenal were concerned for his safety. But I wondered at the time whether it was mostly Mkhi who was concerned.

And now having looked up this https://www.arsenal.com/news/emery-mkhitaryan-missing-baku-final, it seems that Emery is saying just that... it was Mkhi's decision. But it totally sucks that he was forced to make such a decision and will therefore miss a cup final.

And yet another blemish on UEFA's venue choice.

p.s. Luckily for us (team and fans) losing Mkhi for this match isn't necessarily the biggest problem, as he hasn't exactly been on fire lately. And even thought they're different kind of players, it probably gives a little more impetus to start Ozil.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read the transcript of Emery's presser from Colney:
    https://www.arsenal.com/news/emery-chelsea-baku-ozil-full-transcript

He says a ton of glowing praise for Cech. But it's a bit inscrutable... just not possible for me to parse whether he's praising him in preparation for picking him to start, or praising him to make it a softer landing if he picks Leno. Maybe he doesn't even know himself yet?

And in addition to the Mkhi disappointment, he talked about the challenges of Baku, and he had this point to make that not every Gooner has to come from London, and by way of the club's official away ticket process.

Good point Unai. I just hope the ones that show up know all the songs!! ;)

6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    OMG

Super Llama repped this.
  7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be lying if I said I can remember this night 25 years ago. Or that I know if I even watched it at all (not sure there was any way to do that in the USA back then). But here's some highlights and reminiscence from Lee Dixon on our last European triumph:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/it-was-relentless-rest-history

8. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OOPS! I meant May 30th not June 30th.

9. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so. Especially the "Stick Yer Blue Flag Up Yer Arse" one I mentioned earlier on this thread ;)

10. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here it is, the very kit I will be wearing come Matchday at noon PDT on TNT, with some Joihnsonville Brats all grilled and ready to tear shit up and stick that Blue Flag deep up Roman Abramovich's arse!!!

Sorry Paul Hardcastle :(

029. Ray Jackson - Arsenal Warrior Invincibles 1.JPG

But don't worry Paul, it's only a football match, I still dig your music although I am on a self-imposed moratorium from listening to it until after the match is over. Then everything will be back to normal, but with us joining you, City, Liverpool (the soon-to-be-crowned new European Champions for the 6th time on June 1st), and Shit (the LOSERS of the UCL Final on June 1st) in the process, by the time we get done, Wolves will get to join United in Europa League in our place!!!

COYF'n'G!!!

Super Llama and Sleepy Spaceman repped this.
  11. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To further demonstrate how much smarter Arsenal fans are compared to Tottenham fans I give you this diagram for all of you to make out.......

The brain on the right is that of a typical Arsenal fan, extremely intelligent, very bright, always upbeat and never ever bitter, especially now since Unai Emery has them going back on the right track again, as opposed to the brain on the left, in which is the typical brain of an average Tottenham fan, mainly from being so delusional about thinking that they are better than The Gunners when they've actually only won the league TWICE (period, 1951 and 1961), and not since 1961, as opposed to having us clinch the title twice on their shit football ground (1971 and 2004), in which the all-new/same old Shite Hart Lane is still laid upon, even after the remodel, it's still the same shit, so MIND THAT GAP!!! .....and COYF'n'G!!!

Arsenal Fan Brain vs. Tottenham Fan Brain.jpg

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #37 NorthBank, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Arseblog reports that Keita Kante may miss the match. Hmm...

edit: not sure I can blame that typo on old age or iphone dicatation ;)

13. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean Kante?

Heard earlier that he may have picked up a knock in training.

14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kante, yes of course! Corrected. ;)

They are (or may be) missing quite a few significant players (Rudiger, Loftus-Cheeks, Hudson-Odoi, Kante, ??). But then again so are we (Ramsey, Bellerin, Holding)

However, we've got a fit again Danny Welbeck on the bench, ready to save the day! :D

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #40 NorthBank, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Another glimmer of positivity that they reported: Arsenal has already sold all 6000 of their allocation, whereas Chelsea have only sold 2000. Hmm...

Edit: now I see sky sports saying Arsenal returned 2300 of 6000 tickets. So who knows?! Except to say that it will be a very poorly attended event by fans of the two contestants. So sad. Thank you UEFA.

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked at the pictures of training sessions on Arsenel.com. One thing I noticed is that Kolasinac has his left knee (cap) taped up. Wonder what's that about?

17. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Taking a half-day tomorrow! Come on boys!

Super Llama, mebeSajid and Shen-O repped this.
  18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    24 hours to KO. Our first European cup final in 13 years. And this thread is dead! :eek::confused::(:mad:

19. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal fans wearing Mhiki kits in Baku have been stopped by police. Nothing happened, they basically just G-checking fans wearing them.

Yea, probably good idea he didn't go...

Super Llama and NorthBank repped this.
  20. Sleepy Spaceman

Sleepy Spaceman Member+

Nov 6, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #45 Sleepy Spaceman, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019

NorthBank repped this.
  21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #46 NorthBank, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Just watched today's training video. I had sorta forgotten that it's an Olympic stadium. So with the large distances to the pitch and the limited number of supporters from the 2 teams, the atmosphere could suck.

p.s. I LOVED seeing Welbz back in full training, at full pace. I have a sneaking suspicion he might make a 2T cameo, either because we need to change the game or because we're well in control and can afford to swap out a starting forward.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 more random thoughts:

I really hope we play high intensity right from the get go, and press the crap out of them.

I pray that we don't lose any CB's due to injury, so that Mustafi doesn't get even a sniff of this game.

I think that Emery may have the edge over Sarri in how to manage big games, especially in-game changes.

And 1 thing I heard:

The Ornacle said that he's witnessed substantially more Arse fans wandering around Baku than Chelskis. They just all better come ready to sing!

23. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Do you start Leno, who is in my opinion the better keeper, or start Cech, because he has been our cup keeper and it would be a nice send off?

Hopefully we can be up by 5 goals and we can sub Cech off late to get him a round of applause.

24. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big ups Leno

Super Llama repped this.
  25. Sarcasm Bot

Sarcasm Bot Member+

Nov 4, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Good luck. Another Auba hattrick will do.

Tonerl repped this.