Euro qualifiers - Holland vs. Germany and Estonia

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Brilliant Dutch, Aug 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So what line up against the Estoning parked touring car fleet would you like to see?

2. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    I'd play 3-4-3 with Ake-Van Dijk-De Ligt in the back, Blind-Propper-Wijnaldum-De Jong in the midfield and Babel-Depay-Promes up front. Babel has proved me wrong so he deserves a starting spot.

3. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'd be really interested in seeing that as well... it could be an absolute shipwreck but in potential it could also be pretty epic. Problem is i'm not sure when Koeman would have the chance to test something like that.

4. Koeman hinted on changes as he observed the Orange team having problems to play matches in a short time period. After a great but energy consuming match the next one was a hard one to play. So my guess is he will rest/replace/sub in or out the older players like Babel and Blind.

5. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    One new (fresh) attacking option would be welcomed. Can ride on Malen’s euphoria. Or somebody like Berghuis would give a different look to Estonia defense. In midfield, I think Propper for De Roon is sufficient to bolster offense. Imperative to have high-octane wing backs like Dumfries and maybe Van Aanholt (rest Blind) to make the pitch wider and penetrate the parked-bus.

6. Willems seems to be doing well again in Germany. Could use those passes from the mid line into the box again.

7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Now watch us barely scrape by a 1-0 victory over Estland.

You know how it goes, a great Oranje win is almost always followed up by a complete disaster....LOL

8. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Yep, I can see that coming though it may matter not, a win is a “W”. :whistling: Oranje owns the H2H against Germany. Just need to do the same with No. Ireland.

I think for today, an early goal will calm the nerve, and hopefully a smooth-sailing, stress-free match in the end. I’d call a 5-0 with Depay on the score sheet (twice, at least) in his 50th cap in Oranje shirt.

9. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    We saw a glimpse of it when he was used at the 10 against Brazil in 2014...best player on the pitch for that game as well.

That said he doesn't become a ghost when he is shifted back. His role changes and he does a lot of other things. Liverpool's defensive record for example is at its best when Wijnaldum is playing the 6; the reality is that he is such an intelligent player that he positively influences the team regardless of where he plays. People just get caught up in flashy things like dribbles or goals without looking at the unheralded work off the ball or in possession before the big actions happen. Wijnaldum is an absolute gem.

richsavare, Oranje98 and gabrielguilarte repped this.
  10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Cool national anthem for Estonia!

11. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  12. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Did you mean Babel?

13. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Can we clone De Jong? He is so smooth

Oranje98 repped this.
  14. :ROFLMAO:
    Did anyone notice the line up is having a complete refurberated right flank?
    Opstelling Oranje
    Cillessen; Veltman, De Ligt, Van Dijk, Blind; Wijnaldum, F. de Jong, Pröpper; Malen, Depay, Babel

15. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Lots of possession but lacking that final move.

Depay pretty sloppy tonight. Hoping for a big second half from him

Propper has been the worst player for Oranje imo. Just very sloppy with the ball and doesn't process the game quick enough. Had a great chance to send Malen in all alone and didn't even recognize him.

Veltman also struggling to make that final pass. Doesn't have the offensive touch to break down the stingy defense.

De Jong has been phenomenal once again.

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He wasn't good enough two years ago and is not good enough now.

richsavare repped this.
  17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No....LOL.... we are barely gonna scrape by a 1-0, I'm, telling you!!

18. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Berghuis come on.

Estonians are terrified now

19. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That touch to bring the ball down from Memphis and the run and finish were excellent. Really nice ball over the top from de Ligt also.

20. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    No justin! Boo!

21. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    Another memphis assist!

22. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Memphis has 14 goals and 14 assists in his last 25 games for the Netherlands.

Oranje98 repped this.
  23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In the end an easy win and I see Cillessen did have to make a single save in the match. It really looks like these players enjoy playing with one another which is a real good sign. Germany eased passed Northern Ireland, 0-2.

24. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Cillessen made one save. Was lucky Van Dijk was there to clear away the rebound. Don't blame him for maybe losing a bit of focus as it was kne of the quietest nights he has ever had

25. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ?
    Willems plays for Newcastle