Euro Qualifier Sept. 8th, 2007 : Italia - France [R]

Discussion in 'France: National Teams' started by jpg75, Aug 27, 2007.

1. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yea, France really needs to stop that.

2. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    i would have liked to have seen Trez or Benzema come on for Henry. Henry was pretty invisible today and without any substitutions except for Toulalan the play became static.

3. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I'm happy with the result, and if I were France, I'd be happy in general because taking 4 points in 2 matches (along with a goal differential of +2) is very good. Yes, if Henry was in form, the attack would have been better, though the important thing is that France are well on their way to qualifying, which at the end of the day, is all that matters.

I have to admit I thought the center backs on both teams were outstanding. Both of the "engine room" midfielders on both teams (Pirlo, Vieira, Gattuso, Maké) were very good as well, I thought. Also, I know there are many Lyonnais here on this forum, though I mean you have to admit, Lassana Diarra showed a lot more at right back than François Clerc has since he's been replacing Sagnol.

4. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's too bad both meetings were scheduled in the beginning of the season. I would have liked to see both matches when both were in top form, of course France was a high form the first meet and Italy was very low. At least it would have made for more exciting matches. I hope we both qualify and get a round 4. :)

5. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I hope (and think) both teams will qualify, though I think to ensure that a "round 4" lives up to the hype/quality we expect, all forwards have to be on form. No offense to Italy, but other than that one shot Del Piero had which was saved by Landreau, he didn't do anything. Inzaghi was dangerous as he hit the bar, but other than that, nothing either (though that's expected as he's a poacher). In terms of the French forwards, if Henry had stayed at Arsenal, he likely would have been in better form as EPL starts earlier than La Liga.

Both teams' defenses appear to be in top form already. :)

6. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i could not watch this game as the germany one was not on tv as I thought it would be and I had to watch it on streaming instead and it overlaps with this game. I still fell asleep halfway through that too (was a good game apparently though) as i had been awake from earlier and the only game i watched in full today was the england game!

well this result means that france are pretty damn safe, although scotland won to keep the pressure up on italy. who do italy and france play on wednesday?

Did ribery play as the playmaker or someone else? I think he missed luca toni to hand the ball to, lol. Klose had a good game against wales

7. DefenseWinsCliche

DefenseWinsCliche New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    everywhereville, usa
    ribery had a rather poor game IMO. Certainly wasn't upto the standard he has shown so far for bayern. Italians did a good job neutralising him.

as far as the game is concerned, I thought draw was a fair result. These two teams don't have much that separates them.

8. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You're being too modest. ADP sucks! Just look at the Italy board. lol ADP OUT!

9. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    At least there weren't any crappy Napoli players to screw things up worse.

If you're blaming everything on Del Piero - you obviously did not watch the match at all.

10. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL I'm only blaming 50% on Del Piero. Don't forget that some of the best players on the national team are from Naples, and Napoli WILL get the calls soon as Don has revealed.
    [​IMG]

11. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Wow, already I can feel the animosity between the Juventus and Napoli contingent, though really to be fair, actually, do Napoli have anyone who is international class?

In any event, to give my opinion on Ribéry's performance, I think he tried hard though yes, definitely not anything close to his best game, though I don't think Malouda did any better. I think in the first half especially, Zambrotta did an excellent job defensively on Ribéry, other than that one jinking run.

Oh, and to answer the question on who plays who on Wednesday, it's France hosting Scotland, while Italy hit the road to Kiev (Ukraine). Henry is suspended, though, for France against Scotland.

12. Canadian Azzurri

Nov 14, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    And Gattuso is suspended for Italy against Ukraine.

13. tim10

tim10 Member

May 23, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    No Napoli don't really have any players who I would consider up to par with the NT.

I think one of the reasons why Italia did not conced to a stronger french foward line, is because I think a lot of the creativity comes from the strong wingers (Malouda and Ribery), what our strength was, is our Left and Right backs, who I felt did a good job of keeping them at least more quiet than usual.

In this match, from a italy fan point of view, I was glad not to see Trezeguet come on. I don't think Domench rates him that hightly, and to be honest Trezeguet is probablly the striker you would want the most when you play italy, he's played in italy for years, and knows a fair amount of the players epscically in defense, he's played alongside Cannavaro, Zambrota and Buffon and played against Oddo and Bazaglri a fair few times.

I also found it unusual, you guys didn't use all your subs?

14. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Henry's suspension might be for the best now. I want to see Benzema play on weds, as he is the more in form striker. I wouldnt say that Ribery had his best game, but I wouldnt say that he was poor either. Like you said, both he and Malouda were well covered in this game.

All our midfield creativity is supposed to come from Malouda, and Ribery. We generally don't play with a true number 10 nowadays, and his duties are shared by those two. They both have to be clicking to the see the best football from les Bleus. I don't see how Trezeguet would have been any help to us. Italy was stifling our creativity in the midfield, and he wouldn't have seen very many good balls. He would have been even more ineffective than Henry was.

15. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dude, you gotta recognize Del Piero was the worst player out there, and we're not the only ones saying it.

16. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    look adp is not a starter anymore. fact is we missed toni out there as well. we should be happy with a tie, considering what our offence has become. as far as napoli goes fabio cannavaro represents very well.

17. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I agree about Henry's suspension. He had a VERY poor match and doesn't seem to be anywhere near his best form yet. And its true that Benzema deserves to play. That said, I think Trezeguet could have made a difference in the second half. Henry was physically spent and should have been taken off. Even if Trezeguet only gets one good ball he has the ability to make something out of it, thats what he's known for, and the Italians know that. Psychologically it would have put them on the defensive which Anelka might have been able to exploit.

18. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What happened to Henry? bad game, or slowly losing his pace and skill?

19. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I don't think Henry has declined much at all, but he's only begun the year in La Liga, as well as having to adjust to partnering Anelka, one of his best buddies, though they are similar in a way in terms of style. Recall that throughout much of the Domenech era, he's been by himself up front. Yesterday it appeared Anelka was making a lot of the plays Henry would have tried to make. Of course, one has to give Italy a lot of credit, especially Cannavaro, who was on top of his game.

One of the earlier comments on this thread noted how Domenech doesn't rate Trez highly, though I think it's really more of a prejudice he has against Serie A in general. Look at how he has treated Trez, Frey (no caps, how incredible is that?), Mexès (Silvestre got into the WC instead of him) and Gourcuff (well, alright, it's only my opinion, but I believe he should have gotten an opportunity already, though he is captaing the U-21 team). Olivier Dacourt wouldn't likely even make the a 50 man roster in Domenech's mind.

In any event, Trez should get a start on Wednesday, France can only hope Malouda and Ribéry are able to give him a couple of good crosses to finish.

20. JD75

JD75 Member

Oct 7, 2006
  21. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We have Lavezzi(Arg), Bogliocino, Gargano, and Maldonado(Uruguay), Garyks(Austria), Hamsik(Slovakia).

Our GK, Iezzo, may be called as a backup for Buffon. Paulo Cannavaro and Domizzo(CBs) are also being looked at for the Italian NT. We just got back into Serie A, give us some time.

Either way, Rubentini don't know much about us to make judgment. So far we're the only team to win by the largest margin in Serie A this year.
    [youtube]Fph0DlvkYNs[/youtube]

22. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I have seen Lavezzi, and though I tend to dislike Argentinians (I am a big fan of Brazil), that guy is electric. I've heard of Gargano, the Uruguayan. Hamsik as well, since he's thought of by many as the best Slovakian player in quite a while. I have to admit though, I haven't heard of anyone else on that list.

Iezzo according to websites is 34. Is he that good so that he'll be called up as a backup instead of Amelia? A friend of mine who's Italian said that Paolo Cannvaro is to Fabio as Simone Inzaghi is to Pippo.

Irregardless, I don't believe blaming everything on Del Piero is what Italy should do. Yes, he had the worst performance yesterday, though Henry was arguably right after him in terms of how bad he was, and it's not as if everyone in France believes he should go.

In any case, I believe all the attacking players will have better games down the road. After all, not every team in Europe has a Cannavaro or Thuram. ;)

23. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Don't even bother man. We've been arguing with Juve and Milan loyalists for about a year now regarding ADP and Inzaghi's place on the squad as far as being starters go, but they still let their club loyalties cloud their better more objective sense of logic.

24. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    AS Nancy Lorraine
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    First time I've ever heard anyone call Ribery intelligent.

Great result for les blues. 4 points from the feather caps and we are on our way to the Euro..... Barring a meltdown.

25. rizzuto123

rizzuto123 Member

May 3, 2006
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy