Euro Qualifier Sept. 8th, 2007 : Italia - France [R]

Discussion in 'France: National Teams' started by jpg75, Aug 27, 2007.

1. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ah, then you should put "scarsdale, NYC" :)

2. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well it's not actually a part of NYC. NYC consists of 5 boroughs, Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island, Scarsdale is north of the Bronx in Westchester County, so it is actually not part of the city.

Out of curiosity, squidward, which team in the Bundesliga do you support or like best?

3. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So it's technically upstate as it's in another county and anything north of NYC is known as "upstate" right.

Don't have one. If any, it would be dortmund but after moving to new zealand it became very very hard to keep up with any of the clubs so I stuck to only the NT. I only found these forums and watching games through streaming 1 year ago so I had no idea before that.

4. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, folks around here consider upstate as areas way north, as in 100+ miles (160+ km) north of NYC. I only live around 25 miles away from the city.

Anyway, to answer your question on Giuly, I think the Estelle affair came to everyone's attention when he wrote about it in his autobiography, which was after the World Cup, and only a couple of months ago.

5. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So domenech asked his wife to let giuly know that he's not in his plans? That's pretty cowardly.

6. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    No, apparently Giuly had, well, a romantic liaison with Domenech's wife. Giuly denies it, claiming that he only exchanged text messages with her as she invited him out to lunch after an interview (Domenech's wife is a sport TV personality) and that he didn't know she was Domenech's wife.

7. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I seeeee

Wierd stuff. So no wonder he is on the blacklist then. But Pires is needed more than him.

8. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Actually, I don't know if Pires is needed. At this point, among wingers after Malouda/Ribéry, I would have to say if I were Domenech I would opt to try a Gourcuff (right) or N'Zogbia (left) instead. There is enough experience I think on the squad already.

9. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Talk about feeding French sterotypes... :cool:

10. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Nico had to publiclly and personally apologize to Ray before he got reinstated on to the national team, If i remember correctly. I don't think Pires or Giuly have done so.

11. alain_9510

alain_9510 New Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Seattle
    Re: World Cup Q: Italia - France (Sept. 8th, 2007)

Evra isn't bad, but he can be a bit dodgy at times IMO. A lot of English pundits think that Clichy is the best left back in the EPL now. Like someone mentioned earlier, we'll need some height in the center to defend against Toni, and Abidal provides that.

Armand Traore played on the left wing during the preseason, and has made it onto the 1st team bench now, but he hasn't played outside the Carling Cup yet (maybe 1 FA cup match as a sub last season, can't remember right now).

12. alain_9510

alain_9510 New Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Seattle

Although I agree that we'll probably see something like that, we need some creativity!!! We play so much better with a No. 10 e.g. Nasri.

Clerc just doesn't impress me at all, although, like you said, he'll probably be in the starting XI.

I'm pretty much neutral on the Frey vs. Landreau debate, but I would prefer Frey in this match because of his experience in Italy/playing with Toni.

13. alain_9510

alain_9510 New Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Seattle
    First of all, sorry...I haven't quite figured out multi-quote yet :eek:

According to Arsenal's injury list, Sagna will miss Sparta Prague tomorrow, but will be back for Portsmouth on Sunday.

Who will be on the touchline in the absence of Domenech?

14. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Domenech is appeling the suspension
    http://www.eurosport.fr/football/qualifications-euro-2008/2006-2007/sport_sto1293913.shtml

Apparently these transgressions dont usally automaticlly end up in suspension.
    Seems like sort of a knee-jerk reaction to me, I think he will win the appeal and just have to pay the 6000 euros.

Oh my favorite quote from the article lol.
    Riiiiiight Ray :rolleyes:, no extracurricular bullshit, or mindgames from you
    ever

15. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Hmmm, considering Ashley Cole hasn't got the form at Chelsea that he had at Arsenal, Nicky Shorey is vastly overrated IMO, John Arne Riise is often erratic defensively, I don't think that the pundits are wrong if Evra is occasionally dodgy as you claim. Evra was, though, I think, voted as the best left back in the EPL's Team of the Year.

I think we can all agree that a healthy Cole, Evra and Clichy are the 3 best left backs in the EPL.

The way he's started off this season, Charles N'Zogbia looks one of the top midfielders in the EPL, and Nico Anelka's exploits speak on their own.

16. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Anybody know N'Zogbia's experience in the number 10 role? I think he's primarily a left sided midfielder at Newcastle, but can play the CAM role. Maybe at Le Harve?

17. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    He's actually been playing as a left back this season at Newcastle, though it's more of a winger role (think Roberto Carlos). I don't know where he played at Le Havre, though it wasn't defensive midfield, where Digard/Diarra were.

18. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But not pires' experience. He'd be valuable IMO.

He is a good player but not a world beater. His ball-control and positioning is loose. See, the english pundits there have this habit of calling anyone english who does well in that leauge "the best in the world".

19. alain_9510

alain_9510 New Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Seattle

Great start to the season...he's really turned himself around after last year's disciplinary problems. Can play left back as well.

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    here's the list:

Sébastien Frey (Fiorentina)
    Mickael Landreau (PSG)
    Ulrich Ramé (Bordeaux)
    Eric Abidal ( Barcelone)
    Julien Escudé (FC Séville)
    François Clerc (OL)
    Patrice Evra (Manchester United)
    William Gallas (Arsenal)
    Philippe Mexes (AS Rome)
    Bakary Sagna (Arsenal)
    Lilian Thuram (Barcelone)
    Alou Diarra (Bordeaux)
    Lassana Diarra (Chelsea)
    Claude Makelele (Chelsea)
    Florent Malouda (Chelsea)
    Samir Nasri (Marseille)
    Franck Ribéry (Bayern Munich)
    Jérôme Rothen (PSG)
    Patrick Vieira (Inter Milan)
    Nicolas Anelka (Bolton)
    Karim Benzema (OL)
    Sidney Govou (OL)
    Thierry Henry (Barcelone)
    David Trézéguet (Juventus)

21. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Hey guignol, isn't it Toulalan who's on the list and not Rothen? If I were sélectionneur, I would certainly hope it's that way.

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    that's right. the nuttiest part is that i snipped the list from an olweb article precisely detailing the presence of 4 lyonnais including toulalan!

23. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    does this game kickoff at the same time as the germany v/s wales on? are all qualifiers at the same time?

24. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    wales-germany is at 19:30 GMT and italy-france at 20:50 GMT+1

so almost the same time, but the idea that all kickoffs take place at the same time is only for the last match or sometimes two, when one or both teams would know for certain what result they need.

25. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    thanks guignol. this is good so I can watch both games now