Euro / Copa America / Summer Tourneys 2024 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by newterp, May 20, 2024.

1. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yeah thanks. I just checked they only show Fox and Futbo. Not a lot of choice. Fox want too much money.
    Is Futbo any good. They did dumb stuff when they started up, like ads during play. Even over goals and PKs.

3. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Fubo not Futbo. they don't do the ad thing now.

dunno about NT comps, but for PL games:
    - you get the game, that's it. no pre-game blather or HT "analysis" at all, just commercials.
    - I don't find it super user-friendly eg the program begins about 20 minutes before the game - showing just a mostly empty stadium with dumb music over ... and the game ends pretty abruptly.
    - the stream is pretty reliable.

not sure how others find it. I know speke and delay use it.

usscouse repped this.
  4. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    My point was who f.ucking cares? Let’s assume they win their lawsuit and find themselves playing second fiddle to Newcastle. Who cares? It’ll only be the two of them vying for all the ice cream with none of the other PL in with a shout.

5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'd fukking care if those 2 were hoovering up every trophy in sight and LFC were "one of the also rans" in perpetuity.

what's the point in having a league where the winners are known every single season?

I'm 100% baffled Samark -- you seem to be fine if the PL just shrugged and gave them what they want?

6. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    BTW it's now being reported that their lawsuit demands the other clubs REIMBURSE THEM for their "losses" from all those naughty related-company transactions.

oh, yeah and if they don't win they'll have no choice but to close down their womens' team and stop all funding that supports the other tiers of English football.

7. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    #107 Samarkand, Jun 9, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    Assuming the lawsuit is won, it’s going to become, as I have said, where those two hoover up all players and all competitions. Saudi and Abu Dhabi will then have what they want. The law is on their side, the money is on their side, the trophies are on their side, everything they want is on their side.

There’ll be f.uck all anyone or any organisation can do about it. It’ll show up the complete and absolute shortcomings of the PL, especially its rules around ownership (fit and proper test) and the hope would be that the phoenix that rises from the ashes would be a damn sight more careful about who they allow to join their club and how they run their show.

So the only way to counteract them at that point is to give up, resign yourself to the power of all that money. In which case the whole house of cards comes tumbling down.

No one’s going to want to sponsor teams (except Gulf money), no one’s going to believe in those teams, they’re going to be seen as the teams that destroyed football. Frankly, no one’s going to care who wins the PL, the CL or the Carabao. It’d be like Liverpool entering their first team in the Lancashire senior cup. Who cares if they win it? They’ll be the barking dog that caught the car. Yeeeeeah! We have everything, we win everything, now people will love us more and everyone will be a City/Newcastle fan. Who’s going to want to watch that shit? Goose, golden egg, killing and all that.

Not to get all biblical, but they will have to eventually answer the question “for what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?”

Don’t get me wrong, I’d prefer City (and Newcastle) were sorted out now, down behind the PL bike shed, but I’ve a feeling the worst thing, long term, for them would be to win this lawsuit (and the 115). In the short term, football as we know it in England would be f.ucked, but long term, City and Newcastle wouldn’t recover.

8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    wonder what the highlight packages will be like? No way am I watching 3 games on any day! But I like to keep up with a mind's-eye view of how each team looks..

Comparably-
    ESPN has pretty good highlights - and NBC's of the Prem are brilliant.

No idea about Fox's methodology though. Hate any of those awful fighlights where they con;t allow sufficient build-up on the developing of plays. God save us that, please....

Anyone recall how good/bad Fox is???

9. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    YouTube TV will be a bit cheaper than FUBO (approx $75 per month) as opposed to around $100 or whatever Fubp costs.

You get Fox, FS1 and FS2 on there - they have 90+ % of the games covered.

10. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? I can't wait!

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Your day must have more hours in it than mine! ;)

12. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    FDJ and Koopmeuiners both ruled out for the Dutch. Unfortunate for them and the Dutch.

We may get to see the old-new midfield partnership in Gini and Grav.

13. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    DeJong is a big loss to the Dutch and the tourney in general.

14. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Holland probably isn't doing much this tourney.

15. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I haven't ever read the minutiae of the Premier league's rules - but I have nonetheless not heard stated by anyone the reason this following proposal couldn't happen

-what is to stop more than 14 of them voting to briefly disband, place all standing contracts in abeyance, and then the next day re-constitute with Leeds and some other club invited in, and Newcastle and Man Cheaty not-invited?

The Premier league would have toget the English FA to agree, but that shouldn't be insurmountable??

16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    In the second game of the tournament, 18 hours after his Liverpool teammate Andy Robertson skippers Scotland as they take on the hosts, Szoboszlai, 23, will lead out his country for the first time at a major tournament. His teammates and Hungary head coach Marco Rossi chose the midfielder to become their captain in November 2022, days after his 22nd birthday.

Now, 18 months later, Szoboszlai will wear the armband in Cologne as the nation makes its third consecutive appearance at the tournament and only its fifth ever. But it is not just a historic day for Hungary on Saturday afternoon.

Captaining his country aged 23 years, seven months, and 21 days means Szoboszlai will become the youngest captain in European Championship history since the first edition in 1960.

17. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    Who's excited for the start of this tonight then?

Anyone gonna be in this thread as the games are being played or we going radio silent?

newterp repped this.
  18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am - I like the Euros a lot even thought I hate international breaks overall.

I'd say keep it all in this thread - Copa, Euros, Etc.

19. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    I suppose we could put it in the VAR thread, but you’d lock it again, right? :D

20. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if the discussion remains as scintillating as it was the first ... 100 times !

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    pretty sure we can get it to 1,000 in a week or so.

22. Binomial

Binomial Member

Liverpool
    Andorra
    Feb 5, 2024
    International breaks in the midst of the season, 100% agree. (Including stupid world cups held during our winter in states that have no business doing so).

Internationals like the one coming up when the seasons done I'm all for. Proper football in front of proper fans for a proper prize all in the nature of competition is what it's all about.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  23. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Everyone except me (I don't engage with the internet on my phone usually, except youtube and wikipedia for quick info now and then) - but crowd comentary seems to be the usual thing in here on LFC games - so about half the peeps for these games, probably!

Binomial repped this.
  24. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    the Dutch, The EyeTies and even the Spanish are hard for me to predict this tourney.....
    All could be good enough to go deep - and all could also go weakly out

25. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    200,000 Scottish fans in Munich. They look like they’re having a smashing time. They’re more like their Irish cousins than their English at international tournaments. I remember meeting a huge number of them in Genoa at the WC in ‘90. Absolutely great fans.